Pompey Boy!

Baked Beans!

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The yorkie puds have to be made from scratch...haven't seen aunt bessie's around here! I'm working on perfecting them before my husband gets here. He doesn't think it can be done by a Yank, but I will prove him wrong!! lol

I have a couple of recipes if you want to try them. Had to adapt mine to US ingredients but they're both original British. One of the recipes is by my BIL who is a Yorkshireman. He says the only requirement to a successful Yorkshire Pud is that you were born there. He also claims that his rise with the lightness of cumulus clouds... but so do mine. He will be here in May. I shall challenge him to a pud-off. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I have a couple of recipes if you want to try them. Had to adapt mine to US ingredients but they're both original British. One of the recipes is by my BIL who is a Yorkshireman. He says the only requirement to a successful Yorkshire Pud is that you were born there. He also claims that his rise with the lightness of cumulus clouds... but so do mine. He will be here in May. I shall challenge him to a pud-off. :hehe:

Your BIL sounds like a typical Tyke! <_<

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I would love that Krikit! Jamie Oliver's doesn't cut it for me. I got the hot pan, sizzling oil thing down, but the batter isn't quite right. Thank You!

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Our Publix here has just added a British food section to it's store.

Heinz Baked Beans.

Heinz Tomato Soup.

Marmite.

PG Tips.

A selection of biscuits (Cookies).

A selection of Chocolate and sweets.

A Yorkshire pudding mix.

There is too much stuff to list really but I was overjoyed to see it. It was a very VERY pleasant surprise.

Whole Foods is another store that has a British section but they, and Publix, have very high prices for their British stuff. (Was worth every penny to me!)

Dawny(UK) and Tommy(South Carolina) The Journey Begins!!

- January 17, 2007 - Sent I-129F

- January 23, 2007 - I-129F received at TSC!

- January 30, 2007 - NOA1 sent!

- February 1, 2007 - Touched!

- February 2, 2007 - Cheque cashed by CSC!

- February 5, 2007 - Tommy received NOA1 (Hard copy!) Yay!

- April 5, 2007 - Tommy is coming to me for 12 days yay!! :)

- Impatiently waiting!

- April 27, 2007 - NOA2!! :)

- April 28, 2007 - Touched, oh my!

- May 11, 2007 - NVC receives our stuffs :)

- May 15, 2007 - NVC Sends our stuffs to London, yay! :)

- May 29, 2007 - Packet 3 received.

- June 7 , 2007 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

- July 11, 2007 - Received Packet 4.

- August 16, 2007 - Interview at 10AM :)

- March 19, 2008 - Court allows permission to take my daughter to live in the US! :)

- March 31, 2008 - Sent Passports and documents to the Embassy. Waiting for Visas...

- April 10, 2008 - Visas in hand!!! Omgosh!!

- June 23, 2008 - Going home to my man, finally :) POE (ATL)

- 08-08-08 - Wedding :)

- 08-21-10 - 2 year Green Card received! :)

I'm reposting my no-fail Yorkshire pudding recipe that plays nicely with American ingredients -- several VJers have used it with success. star_smile.gif

3/4 cup flour (do not use self-raising)

1/2 tsp salt

2 large eggs

1 cup milk (I use full-fat milk)

4 tbsp oil or drippings (I used vegetable oil because I was making a ham)

Beat flour, salt, eggs, milk together until very smooth, scraping bowl occasionally. Let stand for at least 30 mins; ideally refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Heat oven to 450F*. Measure oil/drippings into 8in cake tin (you can also use cupcake/muffin tins for mini Yorkies). Heat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. Do not open door if you can help it! Serve immediately.

*It is totally possible to cook at a lower temp -- I did mine at 350F for about 30mins, then blasted it at 450 for 10 more mins and it was awesome. This is particularly useful when you are roasting something at a lower temp than 450 but need to get the pudding going at the same time.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks Honey! I will try it on the kids this weekend, not that little yanks are good judges of yorkshire puddings but all I got at the mo.

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why British people love beans so much ?! I used to aswell... beans on toast, on waffles, on baked potatoes, but now I've gone so long without them (I refuse to pay $2.50 for a tin of beans!), that the thought of them makes me feel a bit ill !

But I agree.. what is with American soup - its really bad ! (and that whole mixing a can of soup with a can of water rubbish)!

Filed: Timeline

I would love that Krikit! Jamie Oliver's doesn't cut it for me. I got the hot pan, sizzling oil thing down, but the batter isn't quite right. Thank You!

MY RECIPE (adapted for the US)

1 cup bread flour

2 pinches of salt

1 egg - room temperature

1 1/4 cup milk - room temperature

lard or dripping (I use bacon fat - see *note below)

Sift together the flour and salt; make a well in the centre and break in the egg. Stir in half the liquid and beat until smooth. Add remaining liquid gradually and beat until well mixed. Let sit on counter for up to two hours, but no less than a half hour.

Pour about a tablespoon of fat into each cup of a muffin tin, then heat in the oven. Give the batter a stir then pour in the tin and bake at 425f for about 30 minutes.

*Note: When I buy bacon (the thick kind) I will lay them out on a baking sheet or two, then cook them in the oven at 350f. When done, I pour off the fat and keep the container in the fridge, then layer the bacon in a container between paper towels. I keep them in the freezer and pull out what I need as I need it. I use the bacon fat for my Yorkshire Puds, as well as my Roasties. If you burn the bacon, don't keep the fat because it will have the burnt smell and taste in it also.

I have decided not to reprint my BIL's Yorkshire Pud recipe because it's all in metric and a pain to convert. But I can still print it if you're going to be making puds in the UK! lol

While I do like some baked beans, I simply cannot abide baked beans in tomato sauce.

My favourite is deep browned in molasses. Yum

You know, it's very rare that I eat baked beans but, by the sounds of it, it's like I eat them all the time! :lol:

iagree.gif

I'm copying the Yorkshire pudding recipes. Thanks! Mine are hit and miss because I try something new everytime. For now I have some Aunt Bessies in the freezer. My sister-in-law said she uses those so I bought some recently.

Baked beans: I came home from the British market with a loaf of UK bread (made in Hull). Husband lit up and said "beans on toast!!". Who knew?? That's the first time I've ever heard he liked beans on toast. Guess to him it's like the pinto beans on top of cornbread I grew up with in TX.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

My local grocery store (I finallly have a Wegmans, Julez!.... yay!) finally started carrying the proper Birds Custard. Could have used that at Christmas when I was frantically looking for some for my baking. <_<

Yay for Wegmans!!

I have made the recipe provided by Honey Crumpet numerous times with the greatest of success! I always make them in a muffin tin, so the kids can't fight over who gets the biggest piece.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.