zeezee

IRS certified tax returns

11 posts in this topic

This is the response I got from the embassy. As per our record, Mr.XXX could not qualify to support being a joint sponsor. However, Ms.XXXX was informed through a phone call on Feb 24, 2012, that Mr. XXXX can submit an affidavit of support (I-864) and Ms. XXXXX can submit an affidavit of support (I-864A) including 2011 IRS certified tax returns to our office.

We have submitted what they asked for 2 days ago, however I am little concerned with the statement where it says "including 2011 IRS certified tax returns". The above two ppl submitted the copy of their tax returns along with their W2s for 2011. Does it mean that US EMBASSY will not accept the copy of the 2011 tax returns, instead they want to see something from the IRS office?

I am just so confused. Not sure what we submitted is correct or not?

Thx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If they specifically requested "2011 IRS certified tax returns" thats what they usually want.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You can request 2011 tax transcript direct from IRS by phone call, that will be sent to u by mail. So tell your sponser.

You can request 2011 tax transcript direct from IRS by phone call, that will be sent to u by mail. So tell your sponser.

Or you can request the transcript online. With the transcript, you really do not need to send the W-2 and all supporting documents.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=232168,00.html?portlet=105

Thanks for your replies guys. We sent all of the W2s already just to make sure if they approve our copy tax returns. I m hoping that they will be just okay with what we sent.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for your replies guys. We sent all of the W2s already just to make sure if they approve our copy tax returns. I m hoping that they will be just okay with what we sent.

If it says "IRS certified" then that usually means they want proof that the tax return was actually filed. They want to make sure they didn't just download the 1040 form from the IRS website and write some inflated numbers on it to make it look like they qualified. IRS transcripts would have been the best way to handle this.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

If it says "IRS certified" then that usually means they want proof that the tax return was actually filed. They want to make sure they didn't just download the 1040 form from the IRS website and write some inflated numbers on it to make it look like they qualified. IRS transcripts would have been the best way to handle this.

Yes, I agree but they have attached all of their W2s with it just as a proof. The called IRS but they told them the 2011 certified tax return is not yet available for them. Check after sometime.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, I agree but they have attached all of their W2s with it just as a proof. The called IRS but they told them the 2011 certified tax return is not yet available for them. Check after sometime.

A W2 proves nothing. W2 forms are also available on the IRS website. W2 forms are usually prepared by an employer and given to an employee to assist them in filling out their tax forms.

At this point, they don't want evidence that can be fabricated. They want proof that what they're looking at represents an actual tax return that was filed with the IRS. An IRS tax return transcript is usually available within a week or two of the tax return being processed by the IRS. An IRS tax return transcript is simply a computer printout. Once the information is in the computer then the IRS can generate a transcript very quickly. They'll even FAX it to you the same day you request it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

A W2 proves nothing. W2 forms are also available on the IRS website. W2 forms are usually prepared by an employer and given to an employee to assist them in filling out their tax forms.

At this point, they don't want evidence that can be fabricated. They want proof that what they're looking at represents an actual tax return that was filed with the IRS. An IRS tax return transcript is usually available within a week or two of the tax return being processed by the IRS. An IRS tax return transcript is simply a computer printout. Once the information is in the computer then the IRS can generate a transcript very quickly. They'll even FAX it to you the same day you request it.

I hear you, but I am hoping they wont ask for it, because It will just delay the process.

My dad just conformed that the joint sponsor have asked IRS for the certify return and so they should get it by end of this week. If US embassy asked for it again then they can send it over. I hope the yearly salary will meet the their reqr.

• 1 year later...

I am in the same boat as the OP. I got the transcripts, but is there a difference between the "certified IRS tax return" and the transcript I just got from IRS?

Because I have heard that the certified one can take up to 2 months.

And Do I need to get this "transcript" notarized?

Filed: Timeline

I am in the same boat as the OP. I got the transcripts, but is there a difference between the "certified IRS tax return" and the transcript I just got from IRS?

Because I have heard that the certified one can take up to 2 months.

And Do I need to get this "transcript" notarized?

A "certified IRS tax return" is an actual copy of what you filed with the IRS, form by form, line by line, certified to be a true copy. The tax transcript is just a more condensed form of the same information.

Notarized? no. I think you are confusing notarized -- where a "Notable and trustworthy person in the community", i.e. "Notary", witnesses that your signature is on the document, and that you are the person you claim to be, either through personal knowledge, or by other evidence, such as some sort of identification -- with certified, where the person making a copy, certifies by affixing a stamp, embossment, etc. that this is a true copy of the original.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.