Jump to content

After Fiancee arrives to US


7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines

Hello All,

I was wondering what the next steps will be after my fiancee arrives in US. I know we need to change of residence. Could someone please let me know what to expect, such as forms needed, fees involved, so i can start preparing myself....How do we get a green card for my fiancee? Is that automatic when she gets her visa or do we have to aplly for one?

Thank you in advance.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

please go through the guides as to what is the next step..

for the fees chk USCIS webiste for the latest updates under forms..

Nothing is automatic with immigration she is on a Non Immigrant K1 visa with the intentions of getting married to a USC and applying for AOS. You just off one hurdle now.. Good Luck


Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Timeline

You may find additional helpful information on the CIS Website at:




An individual with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence to establish his or her age, identity, current lawful employment authorized status.

An individual needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, i.e. I-551, I-688B or I-766 to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants:


RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:


Suggest that individuals with K-1 status apply for a corrected SSN card to update the SSN record when there has been a name change due to marriage.

The applicant may submit either:

-- One legal name change document showing both the old and new names

(e.g., a court order for a name change or a marriage document). The

document must also show either (1) a description or photograph of

the person or (2) biographical information that can be compared with

the Numident data; or

-- When the name change document does not show either a photograph of

the person or biographical information that can be compared with the

Numident data, then, in addition to the name change document, the

applicant must also submit two acceptable identity documents. One

of the submitted identity documents must show the old name (the name

on the latest Numident record) AND the other submitted identity

document must show the new name (the name to be shown on the

corrected SSN card). The identity documents submitted must show

either a photograph of the applicant or provide biographical

information that can be compared with the Numident data.

Note: For a marriage document or marriage record to be acceptable as an identity document it must show, in addition to the applicant’s name, either the applicant’s age, date of birth or parents’ names and the marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets this standard.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, SSA presumes the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:


When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, SSA can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Website at:


The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Any document used to establish identity must meet the following criteria:

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the

data on the form SS-5 (e.g., the person's name, as well as age, date

of birth, or parents' names) and/or

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the

applicant (e.g., physical description, photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document should have the person's name as well as information that can be compared to the SSN record, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents' names).

However, identity evidence must be of recent issuance to establish an individual's continued existence and have been established at a later time and for a different purpose than the birth record.

The acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application, taking into consideration the applicant's situation and exploring what evidence is available for the person.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes identity on the SSA Website at:


SSA cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

Form SS-5, “Application for a Social Security Card,” is the appropriate form to request an original SSN and card or corrected card.

You can request Form SS-5 by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 or it can be accessed on the SSA Website at:


Have your fiancé/spouse complete the Form SS-5 and take it along with the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person at one of our offices.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:


Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:


Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, i.e. I-94, was issued, e.g., married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, i.e. SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an identity document to establish the new name.

The 14 day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14 day period and entered the 14 day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:


If not eligible to be assigned an SSN, your local Social Security offices can provide written notice using Form SSA-L676 to explain that an SSN cannot be assigned due to your spouse not having provided authorization to work in the U.S. or evidence of a valid nonwork reason for needing an SSN.

The following are valid nonwork reasons:

-- Receive Social Security benefits

-- Receive Medicaid

-- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

-- Food Stamps

-- State/Local General Assistance Benefits

The IRS assigns individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITIN) to aliens for tax purposes who are not eligible to be assigned an SSN. A Form W-7, “Application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number,” needs to be submitted to receive an ITIN.

You can download a form W-7 from the IRS Website at:


You may also contact the IRS ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.

You can find additional information on the IRS Website at:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia

1 apply for SSN

2 get married

3 file for AOS (and EAD and AP if wanted)

4 live happily everafter :lol:



March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!


Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago


Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received


Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered



Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia

Very good motu!

Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might want to also head over to the AOS forum for more info, and as always the guides are a wealth of information on what to do! Good luck! :)



02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...