ArthurDent

many questions

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

It's important to understand that the USCIS operators with whom you can speak on the phone, don't know anything about how things work except what they can read from scripts. Often, they just make it up as they go along to avoid saying, I don't know. The I-130 has not expired and neither have the instructions for it. The expiration date you see is not for the form. It's for the OMB comment period for the form. If you can get a US issued check attached to your stack before it goes to the lockbox, you would be wise.

USCIS. We don't call it the misinformation line for nothing.

Thanks again to all who have helped out and provided me with information. I have been able to secure a check from a US bank, so the issue of payment is no longer an issue. I really don't want to get held up over something like that. But now I have a question about providing evidence of a bona fide marriage. As per the i-130 instructions, I should submit documentation showing joint ownership or property; or a lease showing tenancy of a common residence; or documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or birth certificates of children you had together; or affadavits sworn to or affirmed...; or any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing martial union.

Now, we don't have any property and the place we live at is only under her name. She has wired some money to my US bank account to take advantage of the current exchange rate and that money will stay there until we get to the US and can get a bank account for her. We have no children. Not sure where I could get these affadavits. The other relevant documentation is plentiful. So what I would like to know is would the following be sufficient:

Emails and messages dating back from 2008. There is a gap from 9/2009 to 3/2010 because most of our communication was via our cell phone emails, will this gap cause a problem?

Pictures of us together from 2009 to present day with dates and locations listed.

A document from my university showing that she became my guarantor in 2010.

copies of the money order slips that she used to send money to my account in America.

A certificate from the local city hall showing that we reside at the same address and shows the date that we moved in together which was in 2010.

Will this be enough information? If not, what other information could I provide? Thanks again all!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

So what I would like to know is would the following be sufficient:

Emails and messages dating back from 2008. There is a gap from 9/2009 to 3/2010 because most of our communication was via our cell phone emails, will this gap cause a problem?

Pictures of us together from 2009 to present day with dates and locations listed.

A document from my university showing that she became my guarantor in 2010.

copies of the money order slips that she used to send money to my account in America.

A certificate from the local city hall showing that we reside at the same address and shows the date that we moved in together which was in 2010.

Will this be enough information? If not, what other information could I provide? Thanks again all!

This should be sufficient, although, if you have phone records showing the cell phone email exchange from 9/2009 to 3/2010, I would suggest including those records. USCIS will not expect you to have the items you referenced in the instructions.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

This should be sufficient, although, if you have phone records showing the cell phone email exchange from 9/2009 to 3/2010, I would suggest including those records. USCIS will not expect you to have the items you referenced in the instructions.

I don't know if I can get that, but I am going to try. I am going to try to find a photo or 2 from that time period as well. At least that would prove to be photographic evidence that we were communicating during that time. If I am unable to attain those records, do you think it would cause the petition to be rejected?

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi guys,

Well, I sent off the packet at the end of March and I received an email on March 29th saying that I should receive something via post within 7-10 days. It is now April 13th and I have yet to receive anything. I called the customer service center and they said I should contact them if I haven't gotten anything within 30 days. I am living out of the country and I know that can slow things down a bit, but it shouldn't be that much longer than a couple of days extra. What do you recommend I should do?

Also, I have a question about the I-864/I-864EZ. I am starting to fill these forms out, so that when I do get the notice saying that I need to send it in I can have it ready to go. But, I would like to know if I can fill out the EZ or not. My assumption is that I cannot, but I just want to confirm. As I am living out of the country and have not had any US income for the last 6 years or so, I am going to have to have my parents fill out one of these forms as well. One of the criteria for the EZ form is that the income I am using to qualify is based entirely on my salary. Am I correct in understanding that this would not be true in my case as I am going to be asking my parents to fill out one of these forms as well, thus making them a sponsor? Thanks in advance guys.

EDIT: Also, in the first section of the I-864 where is asks for the basis of support, should I tick that I am the petitioner and my parents tick that they are the first or the second of a joint sponsor? Or, should I tick that I am the first of the joint sponsors?

Edited by ArthurDent

Timeline

I couldn't find the edit button for my previous post :S. Anyhow, sorry to double post, but I have another question about the I-864. Where I am calculating household size, it tells me not to count anyone twice. It asks about the persons I am sponsoring, this is 1. Then it says persons NOT sponsored in the affadavit, which includes myself (naturally), but it says to enter 1 if I am married. The problem is my wife is the one who I am sponsoring, so should that number be 0 (as if it is one she would be counted twice)? It seems logical that it should be 0, but I just want confirmation. Thanks again guys.

I hope I can find the edit button next time :/.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I couldn't find the edit button for my previous post :S. Anyhow, sorry to double post, but I have another question about the I-864. Where I am calculating household size, it tells me not to count anyone twice. It asks about the persons I am sponsoring, this is 1. Then it says persons NOT sponsored in the affadavit, which includes myself (naturally), but it says to enter 1 if I am married. The problem is my wife is the one who I am sponsoring, so should that number be 0 (as if it is one she would be counted twice)? It seems logical that it should be 0, but I just want confirmation. Thanks again guys.

I hope I can find the edit button next time :/.

You have correctly concluded that you should enter 0 in the space you are asking about.

Regarding the edit button, you have 5 minutes to edit a post after it is posted, once those 5 minutes pass, the edit button will disappear.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi guys,

Well, I sent off the packet at the end of March and I received an email on March 29th saying that I should receive something via post within 7-10 days. It is now April 13th and I have yet to receive anything. I called the customer service center and they said I should contact them if I haven't gotten anything within 30 days. I am living out of the country and I know that can slow things down a bit, but it shouldn't be that much longer than a couple of days extra. What do you recommend I should do?

Also, I have a question about the I-864/I-864EZ. I am starting to fill these forms out, so that when I do get the notice saying that I need to send it in I can have it ready to go. But, I would like to know if I can fill out the EZ or not. My assumption is that I cannot, but I just want to confirm. As I am living out of the country and have not had any US income for the last 6 years or so, I am going to have to have my parents fill out one of these forms as well. One of the criteria for the EZ form is that the income I am using to qualify is based entirely on my salary. Am I correct in understanding that this would not be true in my case as I am going to be asking my parents to fill out one of these forms as well, thus making them a sponsor? Thanks in advance guys.

EDIT: Also, in the first section of the I-864 where is asks for the basis of support, should I tick that I am the petitioner and my parents tick that they are the first or the second of a joint sponsor? Or, should I tick that I am the first of the joint sponsors?

You are the petitioner. Your parents' head of household is the only joint sponsor. The second parent provides an I-864a unless all the income on their tax return can be documented as the first parent's income. The second parent is the "household member".

No, you cannot use the EZ version.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks for all your help guys. Any thoughts on what I should do about not getting the hardcopy of the NOA1 in the mail, even though their email indicates I should have gotten it already?

Do nothing. Even if it never comes, no worries as long as you got the email confirmation with the case number.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Do nothing. Even if it never comes, no worries as long as you got the email confirmation with the case number.

Thanks! I actually got it in the mail today. They haven't requested the DS-230 or the I-864s just yet, so I will just keep working on them. Will update/ask more questions later. Thanks again guys!

Timeline

Thanks! I actually got it in the mail today. They haven't requested the DS-230 or the I-864s just yet, so I will just keep working on them. Will update/ask more questions later. Thanks again guys!

It will be an entirely different "they' months from now that request the DS-230 and I-864. Those don't go to USCIS.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Now that you have NOA1, it's unlikely you will hear anything more until you get NOA2...this is the point where you wait for months until your petition reaches the front of the line. All the other forms & docs will be requested by the NVC once your petition gets forwarded to their office. Take these next several months to have your wife start collecting her documents she will need to send in later. Read up about what vaccines might be required, research how the NVC process works because it moves much quicker at that point. And most important, enjoy spending time with your wife and don't get too stressed with the process. :)

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Timeline

Now that you have NOA1, it's unlikely you will hear anything more until you get NOA2...this is the point where you wait for months until your petition reaches the front of the line. All the other forms & docs will be requested by the NVC once your petition gets forwarded to their office. Take these next several months to have your wife start collecting her documents she will need to send in later. Read up about what vaccines might be required, research how the NVC process works because it moves much quicker at that point. And most important, enjoy spending time with your wife and don't get too stressed with the process. :)

Thanks! I actually got an email today saying that they have forwarded it on to the NVC! I am glad to hear that things are progressing quickly at the moment. I do have a question about the I-864. I am filling mine out and on line 22-23 it is asking about my employment and current income. Since my current employment and income is outside of the US and cannot be applied as part of the sponsorship, should I fill this section out or put N/A? The instructions state "Enter your current individual earned or retirement annual income that you are using to meet the requirements of this form and indicate the total on this line." However, since my income cannot be used I am not sure what to put here. Logic again says 0 or N/A, but I am probably wrong. TIA guys!

Timeline

Thanks! I actually got an email today saying that they have forwarded it on to the NVC! I am glad to hear that things are progressing quickly at the moment. I do have a question about the I-864. I am filling mine out and on line 22-23 it is asking about my employment and current income. Since my current employment and income is outside of the US and cannot be applied as part of the sponsorship, should I fill this section out or put N/A? The instructions state "Enter your current individual earned or retirement annual income that you are using to meet the requirements of this form and indicate the total on this line." However, since my income cannot be used I am not sure what to put here. Logic again says 0 or N/A, but I am probably wrong. TIA guys!

I would enter "Employed abroad. Income will not continue." and then enter zero for the dollar amount.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.