Miwa

I-551 stamp in passport after Infopass to check on EAD/AP status

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

This is so weird, but I am so happy and definitely not complaining. Just want to document this down in case anyone happens to be in my scenario.

I had my AOS interview on Sept 19. It was a successful interview but it was pending FBI name check as my interview was scheduled pretty early (I submitted my AOS package in end June). When I enquired about my EAD/AP applications status (it was nearing 90 days), the officer told us that the Chicago office had mistakenly sent those to San Jose office when they don't process it anymore and it was sitting in my AOS file. She promised on that day that she'll reroute it back to the Chicago office as soon as she can.

On Oct 1, we scheduled an infopass appt with San Jose in view that it was passed 90 days for both my EAD/AP applications. We were able to obtain an appt on Oct 2 at 1pm. We went there, went through security and was told by the officer that gave out the numbers that they no longer process EAD/AP applications and I should just either call the 800 number or mail our query to Lee's Summit. My husband then politely asked the officer if we could speak to someone there to check on the status. The office then gave us the number to wait with much reluctance.

Although we had an appointment, we were made to wait for 30 minutes before they called our number. The CIS officer reminded us that they have stopped processing EAD/AP applications in San Jose but she will assist us in checking the status of our applications. After some time, she realised that our file was transferred out the Friday before and she will have to make a request to extract my file out. We waited for an hour again before she told us the officer in charge of my case is on vacation and there's nothing she can do for us at the moment. However, she advised us to return on Wed (Oct 4) to speak to the officer and made an infopass appt for us.

On Oct 4, we were there at 8.45am for our 9.15am appt and was turned away by the security (even though the officer on Oct 2 said that we could show up early for our appt). We waited till 9am before we were allowed in. Once in, the officer in charge of giving out numbers once again tried to turn us away by telling us that they don't process EAD/AP applications. We had to tell him at least twice that an officer told us to return here after our infopass on Oct 2 before he gave us a number.

Our number was called 15 mins later and we had the EAD/APs are no longer processed here lecture again by the CIS officer. However, upon learning that we were actually asked to return here again, the CIS officer agreed to check on what's up. She keyed in some stuffs on her computer, looked up at us with this weird look and asked us to sit and wait.

After around 30 minutes of wait, she asked me (non USC) on who is my petitioner. I replied that it is my husband who is standing next to me. She made some noises and keyed in some more stuffs and told us that she may have good news for us. Went away again and this time she came back and congratulated us!

Yep, I have the I-551 stamp in my passport now but will have to wait up to 4 months to get my conditional greencard. The I-551 stamp is valid for a year from today.

Good luck to the rest of you on your visajourney!

Sincerely,

Miwa's wife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.