Peaceman

which home address to use?

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I recently got married and will be filing I-130 soon. I had a question about which home address should I list on the application. I am currently living in Michigan because of my job. However, I will be moving to Maryland in July to start a new job. I already know the address of residence in Maryland. I have heard that changing the address during visa petition process, may delay the total time it takes for visa approval (especially if it means change of service center: Michigan service center is California and Maryland service center is Vermont). Does anyone have any suggestions, as to what should I do? Should I list my Michigan address on the application? or should I list my Maryland address?

Hi Peaceman.

Congratulations! I hope your journey is a smooth one.

If you visit the USCIS web page, they post the estimated timelines for processing an I-130 for a spouse. (I am assuming you are a US Citizen sponsoring a spouse; the timeline is different if you are a permanent resident/green card holder sponsoring a spouse). I didn't realize California was experiencing a backlog...they are currently processing August 2011 applications. Vermont, on the other hand, has an estimated processing time of 5 months. Please note however, the wait time is not the same for everyone...in either case (whether your file ends up in California or in Vermont), the wait may be longer or shorter, depending on the complexity of your case, among other considerations.

If you know someone in Maryland who can receive your mail (P.O. Boxes are not allowed) and hang on to it, I would recommend that you use your Maryland address. (Those USCIS letters are very important, your spouse will need them because they will be used in her visa application process later and in future applications as well.)

The first letter you will receive from USCIS is an acknowledgment letter and on it, they will assign the petition a number that will start with EAC (WAC if California was processing your file); your spouse will also have an A-number (starts with A and then followed by 9 digits).

What is critical is if you receive a Notice of Action requesting for more information, that you are notified immediately and submit that information before the allotted time they give you to respond runs out (usually more supporting documents accompanied by a cover letter). Typically you want to turn in that additional info sooner rather than later.

If you do not receive a request for more information, then the next letter you would receive is a notice of approval or rejection.

Hope that helps.

Kaye

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I recently got married and will be filing I-130 soon. I had a question about which home address should I list on the application. I am currently living in Michigan because of my job. However, I will be moving to Maryland in July to start a new job. I already know the address of residence in Maryland. I have heard that changing the address during visa petition process, may delay the total time it takes for visa approval (especially if it means change of service center: Michigan service center is California and Maryland service center is Vermont). Does anyone have any suggestions, as to what should I do? Should I list my Michigan address on the application? or should I list my Maryland address?

Unless you are already set up to receive mail at the address in Maryland, use your current address. Moving doesn't cause a delay but if they mail you the receipt notice and it gets returned by the post office, that's going to cause a delay.

You do realize there will be no K3 visa. You are on the CR1 visa path. K3 is unobtainable.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thanks for all the infomration. I really appreciate it. I already have a permanent address in Maryland (which is my parents house), where I can safely receive all of my mail. However, is it permissible to list my Maryland address on the I-130 application to receive mail, even though I am currently living in Michigan?

Timeline

Thanks for all the infomration. I really appreciate it. I already have a permanent address in Maryland (which is my parents house), where I can safely receive all of my mail. However, is it permissible to list my Maryland address on the I-130 application to receive mail, even though I am currently living in Michigan?

Yes. Sounds like you have two residences to me. Chose the one that's most permanent and suits your needs.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Does it matter which state you are a legal resident of? ( My driver's license is from Michigan)

You won't be providing a driver license at any point in the process. By the time you get out of the USCIS black hole, you'll be in MD. No worries.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.