irvinej

Tourist Visa for Filipino Mother-in-law

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would love to help my mother-in-law apply for a B-2 visa so she can visit us for a couple of months, but I've heard that it's almost impossible for Filipinos to get tourist visas. Is this true?

As far as her compelling reasons to return to the Philippines go, her family owns a house there, she has two unmarried sons living with her, as well as her husband. None of them are currently employed.

So what are the chances? Should we even bother?

Thanks!

I-129F Sent: 2010-09-29

I-129F NOA1: 2010-10-05

I-129F NOA2: 2011-04-05

Interview: 2011-5-16 - Approved!

Received Visa: 2011-05-23

US Entry: 2011-06-03 (Newark)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I would love to help my mother-in-law apply for a B-2 visa so she can visit us for a couple of months, but I've heard that it's almost impossible for Filipinos to get tourist visas. Is this true?

As far as her compelling reasons to return to the Philippines go, her family owns a house there, she has two unmarried sons living with her, as well as her husband. None of them are currently employed.

Thanks!

Since she has alot of ties in Philippines ( like her husband, family, house ), then it should be okay with B1/B2.

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

Since she has alot of ties in Philippines ( like her husband, family, house ), then it should be okay with B1/B2.

Yup your right tourist visa's is too slim for approval coming to USA but if you are a Haitian it would

be easy for the USEmbassy to approve without thinking and even here in FL lots of them are here petitioning after friends, relatives and they can easily have US aid every month. I don't know what are the reasons as coming here to US should have show money so that the fed govt. is not liable for any expense here. I don't know the relations with some other nationalities that it's just a hole of a pin

to enter. :wacko:

Yup your right tourist visa's is too slim for approval coming to USA but if you are a Haitian it would

be easy for the USEmbassy to approve without thinking and even here in FL lots of them are here petitioning after friends, relatives and they can easily have US aid every month. I don't know what are the reasons as coming here to US should have show money so that the fed govt. is not liable for any expense here. I don't know the relations with some other nationalities that it's just a hole of a pin

to enter.

to enter. :wacko:

to enter.

Since the big earthquake in Haiti it has been easier for Haitians to come to the US because they were basically left without any homes, food, clothing or other crucial resources to live from. It may seem unfair but this will not go on forever with them. Once their country is back on track and able to function as it was before, the strict guidelines that were in place with be there again, as it is with other countries.

In the OP's case, I think there is a good chance for the tourist visa as there are many important ties to the home country. It's definitely worth a try.

Married: 6/17/11

I-130 Sent: 7/9/11

NOA1 : 7/14/11

I-129F Sent: 7/21/11

NOA1: 7/21/11

NOA2: 8/22/11

NVC Received: 8/24/11

NVC Left: 8/26/11

Consulate Received: 9/5/11

Packet 4 Received: 10/4/11

Medical Done: 11/7/11

Interview: 11/23/11

Approved: 11/23/11

Changed to CR1: 12/16/11

Medical Re-Done: 1/5/12

Waiting for Issuance of Visa.........

Anyone without a crimminal background can apply for a visitor visa. It's what they the petitioner present to the CO that aids them in their process.

Just complete the form and pay the petition fee of $150, and see what your luck brings you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks!

Going through the process here now. What we've been told is that we need to show solid proof that she has more reason to go back than to stay. We've connected to people here in the FilAm society who've accomplished it. Most are telling us that it winds up being almost as fast to wait the 7 years for wife to become USC. What we're doing is following some steps.

1. We've set my Mother in Law up a Bank account (she didn't have one).
  2. We're getting her accustomed to flowing her cash through that account.
  3. We're getting her to get all properties changed from her late husband's name to hers. (he passed away 10 years ago and she's left it as is.

We've met a few people whose relatives weren't wealthy and they were successful getting tourist visas.

This would be a good thread to start I think but the last time I got into one of these discussions on here, people with experiences in other countries specualated so much that I abandoned the thread.

Timeline

Thank you for the replies! I hadn't thought of the bank account so we'll ask her to set one up. Unfortunately the house is in my wife's grandmother's name, so my mother-in-law doesn't technically own any property.

My wife had a baby three months ago... Would that help if we said she needs her mother's help with the baby?

I-129F Sent: 2010-09-29

I-129F NOA1: 2010-10-05

I-129F NOA2: 2011-04-05

Interview: 2011-5-16 - Approved!

Received Visa: 2011-05-23

US Entry: 2011-06-03 (Newark)

Filed: Timeline

Going through the process here now. What we've been told is that we need to show solid proof that she has more reason to go back than to stay. We've connected to people here in the FilAm society who've accomplished it. Most are telling us that it winds up being almost as fast to wait the 7 years for wife to become USC. What we're doing is following some steps.

1. We've set my Mother in Law up a Bank account (she didn't have one).
  2. We're getting her accustomed to flowing her cash through that account.
  3. We're getting her to get all properties changed from her late husband's name to hers. (he passed away 10 years ago and she's left it as is.

We've met a few people whose relatives weren't wealthy and they were successful getting tourist visas.

This would be a good thread to start I think but the last time I got into one of these discussions on here, people with experiences in other countries specualated so much that I abandoned the thread.

One of the biggest hurdles I see is that the VOs may well believe that she will be tempted to engage in unauthorized employment, given what was posted about the entire family not working. People do this....and it won't do much good for the OP to write some letter 'promising' that she won't (she is family, after all....and no one can control her actions...and if she were to engage in some sort paid labor [babysitting comes to mind], it's not as if the OP would pick up the phone and call ICE.

Still, just like the lottery, if you don't try, (or buy a ticket), you cannot win.

Timeline

Thank you for the replies! I hadn't thought of the bank account so we'll ask her to set one up. Unfortunately the house is in my wife's grandmother's name, so my mother-in-law doesn't technically own any property.

My wife had a baby three months ago... Would that help if we said she needs her mother's help with the baby?

Exact same situation here only I want her here when the bay is born if possible. I think the best bet is just try to work with what we have and we use the account to send money through Wells Fargo. We were told to make certain that she has ample income that doesn't come from us and show the record of that for a year at least. Good luck to us both.

Timeline

Thanks!

Philippines B-1/B-2 Visa

Generally, the most important factors in judging an applicant's chances of approval are as follows of strong ties to there country:

Long term job or well documented successful business; and

Documented consistent high level of income.

Strong business, social and/or family connections to their home country;

Legitimate travel purpose; and

Larger some of money in bank account

Financial ability to pay for travel expenses

Land, property house in name

Young children

Education Level

Generally, B2 visas have the lowest approval rates because of the short time period required to apply.

Strong command of the English language normally have higher rates of approval because of the necessity to speak English while in the US.

But even with all of these ties. The Consulate Officer can deny the B-2 visa for any reason.

B-2 visa are difficult to get approved due to loopholes in US immigration laws allowing persons to stay permanently in the US after arrival if they marry a US citizen.

It is highly recommended that applicants do not make any large transactions in or out of their bank account prior to the interview at the US Embassy. The US Embassy officers will focus on long term and consistent financial transaction history of the applicant’s bank account and not on large recent financial transactions. Generally, the balance amount of the applicant’s bank statement should be enough to cover their travel expenses for the duration of the visit to the US unless such expenses are being paid by a sponsor.

Edited by Wally Greene

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is actually a negative in the eyes of the CO.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Exact same situation here only I want her here when the bay is born if possible. I think the best bet is just try to work with what we have and we use the account to send money through Wells Fargo. We were told to make certain that she has ample income that doesn't come from us and show the record of that for a year at least. Good luck to us both.

Filling up a bank account and then trying to pretend she somehow earned the money won't work...the VOs will ask from where the $$ came, since the applicant is not currently employed. If she tries to state otherwise, they will ask for her employer's phone numbers or pay stubs...then what?

Or if she tries to claim she inherited the $$ or sold property or something, they will then ask to see the legal papers regarding that alleged transaction...and then what?

Trying to paint a phony picture will only come back to haunt her.

And child care, even for a relative, is considered work, whether she is paid in cash or in room and board.

Philippines is a high fraud country. The US Department of State assumes all visitors to the US will not return. Experience has shown that is more likely than not for the Philippines. Unless the evidence of strong ties and sufficient income is overwhelming, the tourist visa will be denied.

Filling up a bank account and then trying to pretend she somehow earned the money won't work...the VOs will ask from where the $$ came, since the applicant is not currently employed. If she tries to state otherwise, they will ask for her employer's phone numbers or pay stubs...then what?

Or if she tries to claim she inherited the $$ or sold property or something, they will then ask to see the legal papers regarding that alleged transaction...and then what?

And child care, even for a relative, is considered work, whether she is paid in cash or in room and board.

I'M A PERMANENT RESIDENT AND ALSO WANT MY MOM TO VISIT AS A TOURIST. I TRIED TO SEND HER A MONEY TO FILL UP HER BANK ACCOUNT. AND I'M PLANNING TO SEND AN INVITATION LETER STATING THAT I'M RESPONSIBLE OF HER EXPENSES. CAN SHE TELL THE VO'S THAT I'M THE ONE WHO'S FILLING UP HER BANK ACCOUNT SINCE SHE DOESN'T MAKE THAT MUCH MONEY?

THANKS AHEAD FOR YOUR REPLY!

USCIS

11/23/12 - I-130 filed

12/05/12 - Petition received thru txt

12/06/12 - Check cashed

01/10/12 - Approved from USCIS online (after 42 days)

01/16/13 - NOA2

NVC

01/23/13 - NVC received case

02/05/13 - got NVC and IIN numbers

02/06/13 - DS3032 email sent

02/08/13 - AOS bill paid

02/09/13 - AOS packet sent

02/21/13 - DS3032 accepted

03/04/13 - IV bill paid

03/04/13 - IV packet sent

03/07/13 - case completed

Consulate

02/23/13 - medical appointment

04/02/13 - interview - approved!

04/15/13 - visa in hand

06/07/13 - POE (LAX)

http://www.youtube.com/user/marie7580

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I'M A PERMANENT RESIDENT AND ALSO WANT MY MOM TO VISIT AS A TOURIST. I TRIED TO SEND HER A MONEY TO FILL UP HER BANK ACCOUNT. AND I'M PLANNING TO SEND AN INVITATION LETER STATING THAT I'M RESPONSIBLE OF HER EXPENSES. CAN SHE TELL THE VO'S THAT I'M THE ONE WHO'S FILLING UP HER BANK ACCOUNT SINCE SHE DOESN'T MAKE THAT MUCH MONEY?

THANKS AHEAD FOR YOUR REPLY!

How does you filling up her bank account shows her strong ties to her home country? At best, it looks like she is living off the money you send from the US. At worst, it seems like an attempt to boost her bank account for the sole purpose of obtaining a visa for the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.