Amanda-Lise

ok...so...err what now?

8 posts in this topic

NOA2 for the K-1 yesterday, and fiance is freaking out as we don't as of yet have everything we will need. As for documentation, I have all of our long form birth certificates, up to date custody papers, letter of consent, contacted my unit to get my full record of service. The girls' passports are in progress, my police certificate will be ready by the end of the week. All 3 of us will be starting our Hep B series in a week. Is there anything else I should be working on gathering while we wait on the NVC and Montreal? I've also read that sometimes the marriage certificate from prior marriages is required at the montreal consulate, should I be working on getting that too? Thanks for any guidance (F)

I-129F sent: August 18th, 2006

NOA2: October 2nd, 2006

Packet 3 returned to Mtl: October 26th, 2006.

Medical: January 10th, 2007

Interview: January 23rd, 2007, at 2:30. APPROVED

Entry to the US: Feb 28th, 2007 POE Ivy Lea

Married: March 2nd, 2007

AOS/EAD sent May 4th, 2007

NOA1s for all 3 AOS and my EAD May 14th, dated for May 10th

EAD touched May 28th,29th, 2007, Youngest daughter's AOS touched May 29th, 2007

Biometrics: May 30th, 2007

All cases touched May 31, 2007, June 5th, 2007, August 1st, 2007

All 3 AOS transferred to California July 5th, 2007

EAD Approved July 27th, 2007

Finally movement on my AOS, touched on Feb 22 & 24th

GC May 11 2008, date of april 29th on them.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
NOA2 for the K-1 yesterday, and fiance is freaking out as we don't as of yet have everything we will need. As for documentation, I have all of our long form birth certificates, up to date custody papers, letter of consent, contacted my unit to get my full record of service. The girls' passports are in progress, my police certificate will be ready by the end of the week. All 3 of us will be starting our Hep B series in a week. Is there anything else I should be working on gathering while we wait on the NVC and Montreal? I've also read that sometimes the marriage certificate from prior marriages is required at the montreal consulate, should I be working on getting that too? Thanks for any guidance (F)

The marriage certificate is typically used to bridge a name change from your birth certificate if you kept your married name after you divorced. I can't think of another reason...

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will need to get passport photo of all of you as well as your medicals. You will also need a divorce certificate. Your US finance will have to provide you with some information as well which will be sent in your packet 3.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You mentioned your unit, I assume your in the Canadian Armed Forces. I used my Unit Employment Record (UER) Attached a cover sheet, with a quick summary and had my commanding officer sign it, stating it was a official military document. They can print off an updated UER instantly. I wasnt exactly sure what USCIS wanted, but it seemed to do the trick. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

you need prior divorce decrees to prove you're legal to be married again.

I don't think adults need the Hep shots, only children. Check the list at the panel physicians website. Its one of those "age appropriate" ones.

The last stretch is still going to take a couple of months, so there's no need to panic.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Im not freaking out, he is :hehe: I feel that we are very much on track. Already have the divorce decree, needed it to file the I-129F, and ordered my marriage cert from the prior marriage online. Didn't go back to my maiden name, so will have something to bridge the name difference.

Flames, The UER isnt a problem, however I was honourably released years ago and any of my commanding officers are no longer in the forces, are deployed, or have been posted out. Any recommendations on what I should do?

I know with how montreal is right now we're looking at 5 months, and thats a positive estimate. Just nice to be prepared and not have to worry about it.

I-129F sent: August 18th, 2006

NOA2: October 2nd, 2006

Packet 3 returned to Mtl: October 26th, 2006.

Medical: January 10th, 2007

Interview: January 23rd, 2007, at 2:30. APPROVED

Entry to the US: Feb 28th, 2007 POE Ivy Lea

Married: March 2nd, 2007

AOS/EAD sent May 4th, 2007

NOA1s for all 3 AOS and my EAD May 14th, dated for May 10th

EAD touched May 28th,29th, 2007, Youngest daughter's AOS touched May 29th, 2007

Biometrics: May 30th, 2007

All cases touched May 31, 2007, June 5th, 2007, August 1st, 2007

All 3 AOS transferred to California July 5th, 2007

EAD Approved July 27th, 2007

Finally movement on my AOS, touched on Feb 22 & 24th

GC May 11 2008, date of april 29th on them.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure what others have used besides a UER. One wouldnt require a Commnading officer signature, or any signature most likely. Being the Air Force I was able to knock on his door and go in, lol You must have some sort of document that includes your whole service time. Just prior to me releasing I requested from Ottawa my whole file!! Photocopies of everything from day 1 of joining the Forces. Most of it is useless, but some interesting stuff. But contacting your old unit should set you off in the right direction. Could ask them for the Snr clerk or Admino to simply state it is an official military document and sign it. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.