Brian75

Can people from visa waiver countries skip K1?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My fiance lives in Japan, a visa waiver program country, and I have a friend who married his Japanese wife in the US while she was here on her visa waiver. They didn't have any problems, but that was a long time ago.

I don't want to do anything illegal, but when I called USCIS, they basically said that it is a grey area.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

02/22/12: Mailed I-129F Package

03/09/12: Received NOA-1

09/11/12: Received NOA-2

09/24/12: Received INS Receipt

My fiance lives in Japan, a visa waiver program country, and I have a friend who married his Japanese wife in the US while she was here on her visa waiver. They didn't have any problems, but that was a long time ago.

I don't want to do anything illegal, but when I called USCIS, they basically said that it is a grey area.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

My husband and I got married in the US without a K-1, nothing illegal about that. The crucial issue is that the person cannot intend to immigrate when they come over, i.e. he went back to Canada after the wedding, and he's still there pending the approval of his CR-1 visa. If you get a K-1, then the person can stay in the US after the marriage while you adjust their status.

Edited by alizon

Timeline

My husband and I got married in the US without a K-1, nothing illegal about that. The crucial issue is that the person cannot intend to immigrate when they come over, i.e. he went back to Canada after the wedding, and he's still there pending the approval of his CR-1 visa. If you get a K-1, then the person can stay in the US after the marriage while you adjust their status.

Thank you for the reply, that makes perfect sense. However, my friends wife remained in the US after marriage, but that was about 8 or 9 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, that makes perfect sense. However, my friends wife remained in the US after marriage, but that was about 8 or 9 years ago.

Yeah, I know some people on the forums have mentioned coming over on a tourist visa and adjusting their status, but it seems dangerously close to immigration fraud in my book. The VWP is not an immigrant visa, so your fiance(e) would be coming to the US with the intent to immigrate and without an immigrant visa. Regardless of whether other people have done it, USCIS saying it's a "grey" area means you might get in trouble for it, might not, but the risk would be too great for me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

umm... i think you need to forget what was done 8-9 years ago.. and be concerned with how things are done now

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Yeah, I know some people on the forums have mentioned coming over on a tourist visa and adjusting their status, but it seems dangerously close to immigration fraud in my book. The VWP is not an immigrant visa, so your fiance(e) would be coming to the US with the intent to immigrate and without an immigrant visa. Regardless of whether other people have done it, USCIS saying it's a "grey" area means you might get in trouble for it, might not, but the risk would be too great for me.

Exactly. The reason they say it is a grey area is because there are genuinely people who come over on vacation and end up meeting the love of their life and marry them all on the same visit. But if you are already dating a USC and you come over and "just happen" to get married. Then you may end up in trouble, because just dating before you come over to the US on the VWP is a pretty strong indicator of immigration intent and the VWP is for non-immigrant intent only. It is possible though to come over on VWP, marry and then adjust, but I think your spouse would have to have pretty compelling evidence that they did not intend to get married when they entered the US.

IMO, it's not worth, the risk. For me and my husband it was important for us to be sure that we could be together once we were married. So we applied for the K-1 visa, sure it took sometime. But we didn't risk my having to return home and be separated for the first 6-12 months of our marriage.

You are not the first people to fall in love from different countries (obviously) and you are not the first couple to have to wait and get paperwork processed before being able to live together in the US, you'll make it through the process. Apply for the K-1. Just thinking about using the VWP in this way because your friend's wife had done so previously gives you prior intent of immigration. If it were legal for people from VWP to "skip" getting a K-1 to get married and settle in the US. No one with a fiance in a VWP country would ever file for a K-1 visa.

Edited by HuffyTheSlayer

umm... i think you need to forget what was done 8-9 years ago.. and be concerned with how things are done now

ummm .... He/she is, hence the question :thumbs:

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
NOA2 May 30th 2012 (not a typo, 187 days no RFE)
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 3 rec Jul 9th 2012 (sent before received)
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Interview Jul 30th 2012 (refused for lack of ongoing relationship evidence)
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Visa delivered Oct 10th 2012
POE JFK-NYC Nov 28th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
Package sent Jan 30th 2013
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013
EAD/AP card in production Apr 5th 2013
EAD/AP card in mail Apr 11th 2013
EAD/AP card arrived Apr 13th 2013
SS card arrived Apr 19th 2013

AOS approved Sept 19th 2013 (no interview)

ROC

Package sent Sept 13th 2015

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Extension Letter 1yr Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Infopass 1yr extension Aug 26th 2016

RFE response Sept 30th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

ummm .... He/she is, hence the question :thumbs:

That's true.

Brian, we appreciate that you are exploring your options and finding out how things are done now. :thumbs:I still stand by my previous post, though I know it might seem a little harsh.

Edited by HuffyTheSlayer

Timeline

Ok, I'm definitely sticking with the K-1 plan then.

It wasn't my intention to out smart the system, but when USCIS can't tell me one way or the other, you guys are my only hope for answers.

You all have my deepest gratitude!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

It wasn't my intention to out smart the system, but when USCIS can't tell me one way or the other, you guys are my only hope for answers.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

great sir.. its just i see so many people that try to get around system.. but they have learn the hard lesson..

best of luck with your journey..

very envyous of your fiances country.. it must be AMAZING to visit :)

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Good decision and good luck!

Good man. To have had your fiancee enter with the intention to remain would have been illegal, whether or not she got away with it. In any case, no real reason to take any chances since the visa process through Japan is quite easy.

The only downside is the waiting. Admittedly, that's a bummer but you can always have her come visit you in the US while you are waiting things out. Or come on over here to Japan, it'll be sakura season here soon enough... if it ever warms up. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.