USArmyWifey

Gang Related Tattoo Denial?

23 posts in this topic

My wife told me the doctor made some comments about her tattoos, but I think he was just being perverted. He was making her feel uncomfortable during the physical because he was touching all over her and making like sexual like comments. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but she said she just played it cool because she didn't want to piss the doctor off and have the medical exam come out in bad status.

Other than that they just wrote down the tattoos / location, but it wasn't a big deal. The medical exams were all good to go.

Edited by MattandJihyun

Relationship / Visa Timeline

May 2010 - Met for the first time at her birthday party.

Jun 2011 - Proposed to her in broken Korean.

Nov 21 2011 - After finally getting military approval... we got married.

Jan 9 2012 - Filed DCF CR-1 I-130 petition at Seoul Embassy.

Jan 31 2012 - I had to leave Korea, because military orders to Texas. :(

Feb 8 2012 - I-130 approved and Case number issued all on same email! YAY

Apr 16 2012 - Interview date

??? - Arrival to TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Historically, the tattoo issue has revolved around Mexican immigrants and the association to certain gang and drug cartels. I have read of denials based on those types of tattoos but it seems to not be much of an issue with European countries.

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Did they even ask about your tattoos?cause my evaluating doctor just sat me there, asked me questions and checked for lumps or lung problems. I wore jeans and a tank top

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

prison-tattoos.jpg

Mine weren't a problem.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

This is what happens when you get drunk and pass out at a sharpee factory. :)

Edited by sonicgihad

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Laurel Scott make a reference about not taking any clients with a "13" tattoo which(IMO) says alot about a lawyer working with inadmissibility waivers.

MS-13 (Mara Salvatrucha) is one of the most violent and rapid growing gangs in the world right now. Based out of El Salvador, with presence in all US cities with Hispanic inhabitants. You would go to jail in Honduras just for having the tattoo, forget immigration.

Must be A LOT different in Honduras. We talked to a few people while we were waiting for my husband's interview that had tattoos. They took pictures of every tattoo on their body (none were visible outside of their clothing), and even asked about tattoos that had already been removed!

Obviously, cultural norms is the most prevalent factor here.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hello, I am new around here.

About the tattoos. I have to share that my husband was denied because of his tattoos. they suspect he is a gang member although he dosent have a criminal record nor has he ever been in a gang.

USarmy, i would like to know where you saw that article about the FBI and the tattoos.

So i was reading that your visa can be denied on the grounds of a gang related tattoo. First off i would like to state i am not in a gang, i have never been arrested and have never commited any kind of gang related criminal offence. Ever!

But i do have a tattoo on my leg, and the thing that it is linked to has been classed as "gang related" by a few states, but not the country as a whole (and not by the state that i am entering or living in once i get to the usa).

My husband also has a tattoo like it and is in the US military...

Ive had my medical with no problems and i dont plan on showing any of my tattoos off during my interview, but do they really have grounds to deny me based upon a tattoo on my leg even if i am not part of a "gang"?

confused.

so you have gang tats, managed to avoid arrests/convictions, and now are asking this VJ community if you can "get away with it" ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.