gatorman1122

Trying to get my brother a green card....need help

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So here's the situation.

My mother just got her green card, and she wants to petition for her unmarried son over the age of 21.

My brother can also get a B-1 tourist visa from the Philippines. Should we file the petition while he's outside of the US or when he arrives in the US (Or does it make no difference at all)?

My mother wants my brother to come and go to US every couple months (try to renew his I-94 and what not) while my brother waits for the application to process and get an immigration visa number.

So here's the situation.

My mother just got her green card, and she wants to petition for her unmarried son over the age of 21.

My brother can also get a B-1 tourist visa from the Philippines. Should we file the petition while he's outside of the US or when he arrives in the US (Or does it make no difference at all)?

My mother wants my brother to come and go to US every couple months (try to renew his I-94 and what not) while my brother waits for the application to process and get an immigration visa number.

It's going to take about 10 years to get the visa. That's alot of trips to the U.S. At some point they may decide he is using the B-1 to excess and deny entry.

She could upgrade the petition if she later becomes a citizen, but that will still be a long time.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

So here's the situation.

It's going to take about 10 years to get the visa. That's alot of trips to the U.S. At some point they may decide he is using the B-1 to excess and deny entry.

She could upgrade the petition if she later becomes a citizen, but that will still be a long time.

Thanks for the info

Ugh...there doesn't seem to be any way to speed this up....is there?

So here's the situation.

Thanks for the info

Ugh...there doesn't seem to be any way to speed this up....is there?

He could go to nursing school and possibly get a work visa. But other than that, I know of no other way to speed it up short of marriage.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Here is the latest link for the visa bulletin: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_3032.html

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How do you know he could get a B?

From the little you have said it would seem unlikely.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Well, the Philippines is usually pretty lenient on giving out tourist visas. My other brother just recently went there to get one, and he got it without any problems. You just gotta pay them the money :P .

Well, the Philippines is usually pretty lenient on giving out tourist visas. My other brother just recently went there to get one, and he got it without any problems. You just gotta pay them the money :P .

I am sure Philippines is easy in giving out visas. But US tourist visas are not just tought to get but frankly no real use if your intent is to work and get settled in US. Make sure you get the B visa before you send in the petition.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Really?

Other posts seem to suggest otherwise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.