Dmack

I-130 - mom's date of marriage don't match on my birth cert and her marraige cert

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Got my natualization 2 weeks ago and am ready to petition my mom who is in the Philippines. I had everything ready to go until we discovered that the date of her marriage on MY birth certificate is June 25 1987 but the date on HER marriage certificate is June 15 1987. I was so frustrated by this!

I assume this will be an issue for her when she goes to Manilla and they ask to see her marriage cert. When they see it does not match they will reject her, won't they??

My question to all of you is, am I worrying over nothing? Will they even check her marriage certification to see that the dates match on my birth certificate? On my I-130 the dates of her marriage show June 25 1987, which is accurate. It is HER own marriage certificate that is not correct. Guess someone mistyped and no one ever caught it. Thanks for all your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from US citizenship to Bringing Family Members of US Citizens.... *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Germany
Timeline

If you are going petition just your mother, you don't need her marriage certificate.

NVC requires marriage certificate for father only.

Day 0 3/17: I-130 mailed express to Chicago

Day 1 3/18: Received (by SMS on Day 5)

Day 5 3/22: SMS received with WAC#, but not yet trackable

Day 6 3/23: WAC# is trackable and added to my Portfolio

Day 9 3/26: NOA1 received

Day 10 3/27: Check cashed

Day 98 6/24: Approval Notice. NOA2 Letter Received

Day 126 7/22: NVC Case Number Received

Day 129 7/25: Called NVC and received IIN. DS-3032 emailed to NVC

Day 130 7/26: AOS Bill received and paid

Day 132 7/28: NVC Received DS-3032 Confirmation

Day 192 9/26: IV paid

Day 230 11/3: DS-230 Received

Day 235 11/8: RFE of DS-230 & Police Certificate

Day 255 11/28: RFE Sent & Delivered

Day 257 11/30: RFE of Marriage Termination

Day 269 12/12: RFE Sent & Delivered

Day 271 12/14: Case Completed

Day 325 02/06/2012: Interview Passed

Day 334 02/15/2012: VISA Received

Day 336 02/17/2012: Seattle POE

Total: 11 months even

Day 395 04/16/2012: GC Arrived.

Timeline

If you are going petition just your mother, you don't need her marriage certificate.

NVC requires marriage certificate for father only.

Are you 100% certain on this?? I hope you are correct. I am looking like mad right now to verifiy that. I already have my $420 money order ready and my paperwork ready to go. Can you or anyone give me a link to verify this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: American Samoa
Timeline

Another thing, why would they want the father's marriage cert but not the mom? I mean, what would be their logic do you think?

I am wondering about that also; USCIS also states that the marriage cert should be dated before the DoB of US Citizen

Our parents did not "officially" married until recently, any idea, suggestion?

Thanks

Timeline

In I-130 instruction, at General Instruction, section 7 saying about what documents are need to prove the relationship between you and your father.

Timeline

This new marriage certificate will raise a suspect to GC officer.

You may have to go to DNA test.

I am wondering about that also; USCIS also states that the marriage cert should be dated before the DoB of US Citizen

Our parents did not "officially" married until recently, any idea, suggestion?

Thanks

Timeline

They want to make sure that man is your biological father, not other one.

One importance you have to keep in mind that, the older the documents are, the better the chance for GC officer to trust it.

Another thing, why would they want the father's marriage cert but not the mom? I mean, what would be their logic do you think?

Timeline

In I-130 instruction, at General Instruction, section 7 saying about what documents are need to prove the relationship between you and your father.

I see that. But aren't the General Instructions on number 7 under "What Documents Do You Need to Prove Family Relationship" that you are referring to talking about the documents you send with the I-130 to the USCIS in Phoenix? (that is where we would send ours since we are from Texas)

Are you suggesting that section is referring to the documents my mom will need to bring with her to Manila when her interview is granted?

I hope that is true. I am considering paying a lawyer a few hundred dollars to get my mom's marrage certificate date match with my birth certificate (again the date on my birth certificate is correct; her own marriage certificate is the one that is off by 10 days). I am searching and asking as many sources as I can before I send my papers off. The last thing I want is to spend my $420 on a processs that will cause her to get rejectd in Manila for a dumb reason like her marriage certificate has a mistake on the date.

Thank you so much for your continued input and feedback. You are my USCIS angel!

Timeline

Got my natualization 2 weeks ago and am ready to petition my mom who is in the Philippines. I had everything ready to go until we discovered that the date of her marriage on MY birth certificate is June 25 1987 but the date on HER marriage certificate is June 15 1987. I was so frustrated by this!

I assume this will be an issue for her when she goes to Manilla and they ask to see her marriage cert. When they see it does not match they will reject her, won't they??

My question to all of you is, am I worrying over nothing? Will they even check her marriage certification to see that the dates match on my birth certificate? On my I-130 the dates of her marriage show June 25 1987, which is accurate. It is HER own marriage certificate that is not correct. Guess someone mistyped and no one ever caught it. Thanks for all your help.

This question form above is the crux of my delimma: "Will they even check her marriage certification to see that the dates match on my birth certificate?" The key is "will they even check her marriage certificaiton..." THAT is what I am trying to find out. I UNDERSTAND what is needed for the I-130, there is a checklist. But AFTER my I-130 is filed and approved and she goes to get an interview, will they ask or required her to bring her marriage certificate? That is my quesiton. If they are not going to ask for it, I've got no worries. If they are, then I have a problem that I will have to spend a couple of hundred dollars on for a Filipino attourney to correct her marriage certificate date.

One of the original answers to my question was that only if you were petitioning for the father was the marriage certificate needed. I think my question was not clear becasue this answer applies to an I-130 that is about to be filed, NOT one that has been through the process and an interview set up in Manila. That is my issue. I am assuming my I-130 paperwork is correct, I can read and understand the instructions. When my mome gets approval to go to Manila, will they ask her for her marriage certifcate.

Is it more clear now?

By the way, I may have found the answer already. I beleive once my mom's I-130 has been processed she will have to complete a form OF-169. Form OF-169 is a consulate specific form that lists the documantation needed to be gathered by the benificiary for the interview.

When a beneficiary is eligible to apply for an immigrant or fiancé(e) visa (that is, the priority date becomes current and all the pre-processing requirements have been met), the National Visa Center (NVC) queues the beneficiary for a visa interview. The NVC will send the applicant a packet with the visa interview appointment date, information, application forms and a list of required documents. One of the documents listed is MARRIAGE RECORDS (if applicable): For Philippine marriages, the copy of the marriage certificate must be printed on National Statistics Office (NSO) security paper.

So PLEASE if anyone can provide supporting information that will back up one of the fist responses to this post that a marriage certificate is NOT needed for the mom at the interview but only the father please let us know. If not, I assume at this point that the marriage certificate WILL be asked for at the interview and we (unfortuneatly) will be forced to spend $200 to correct this very silly, old mistake that know one cared about until now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.