Travis and Meghan

Thinking about getting GED

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm not sure if i posted this in the right place (I'm sorry if i have!). I never finished high school in Australia so i am thinking about getting my GED. I was just wondering who else has done this and what your experience with it was like?

Any advice, thoughts, opinions would be very much appreciated :)

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband did this, I researched the nearest office every city offers the classes. The classes are free of charge and they test you to verify your level of proficiency then you start regular evening or day classes depending on what they offer. Toward the end of about an 8 week period they test everyone and if your proficiency is such to pass the GED then you can pay the $16 (Texas fee) it may be different at your location. If you pass you get a diploma equivalent to a high school diploma.

If your proficiency is not to the level for testing they will tell you to continue with classes to prepare further.

Good Luck,

Edited by MIBEN

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh the classes were free?? I'll have to look up the ones in my area then. I was looking at doing it online (figured it would be easier with work etc) But if local classes are free i might try and do that then. Thank you for the info :)

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

My husband did this too. He went to a class, but they said he didn't even need to study so we just forked up the $35/test (5 tests total) and he had his GED finished within two weeks.

Totally worth it, very very easy, and he has a much better chance of employment. Go for it! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Definately a good direction to go in to obtain your GED.

Case #1: CR1 & CR2-Hubby & Kids
6/6/11...Priority Date
7/2011...NOA2 ~44 days
8/5/2011...NVC & IIN # Received
9/12/11... CR1 & Cr2 cases completed. ~37 days
11/4/11... CR1 & CR2 Interview APPROVED!!!
11/2011... POE
Praise Jesus!smile.png
----------------------------------
Case #2 - F1-Sister
USCIS

10/2006....I-130 sent.

NVC
9/2011.....NVC Case # received.
1/2012....AOS Bill Paid & I864 sent.
2/2012....IV Bill Paid & DS 230 sent
2/2012....**Case on Child Status Protection Act Review**

3/2012...Case complete waiting for interview date.

KNG Embassy

11/2013...Interview date :)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Go for it. Once you pass it opens the door to take online community college classes for more ed you ma ka tion.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

I took GED prep classes at my local adult school for $20 (they were excellent) and have started taking my GED tests. I have done social studies so far. The test in California is $125 but I was lucky enough to get a scholarship. Well worthwhile and even a bit of fun. I'd definitely take prep classes prior as what I have learnt here was nothing like what I learnt in high school in Aus. Also, FYI, the GED test is changing in 2013, the first major change in over ten years. The test will be much harder and quite different. The teachers at my school are really pushing people to get their GED before this year is out because of this reason. Right now the test is relatively easy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.