Sockmonkey

OMG! Nearly turned away on visit to UK!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Its not like the UK has a high rate of illegal immigrants from the US!!

I've visited my fiance over a dozen times on the VWP and I'm surprised I haven't been scrutinized more. Now I'm going through K-1 process I make sure I have plenty of documentation to show my ties to back home.

Man, I would be PISSED if they tried to send me back home. It takes me 24 hours of flights and layovers to get from my home to his - I think I would make a run for it before they'd get me back on the plane!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Why is it ok to expect to get a tough time at POE into the US but people are angry and upset when the same thing happens to an american trying to get into the UK....

Sorry you feel you were treated unjustly.... but people entering the US are treated like that and worse every single day....

This was my response as well. Whenever I travelled to the US - from Canada - I made sure I had substantial proof of my ties to Canada. I crossed at the land borders but still got grilled twice and was able to reassure them that I did indeed intend to leave after my visit. Every country is concerned about protecting their own immigration regulations - Americans are not excempt just because they are Americans.

I certainly don't think I'm in any way a special exception because I'm American (and I resent the implication), but as michellek said I doubt there's a big problem with Americans emigrating to the UK illegally. The immigrations process for moving to the UK is almost insanely simple (I know someone who applied for and received a visa from start to finish in a single day just by going to the embassy in New York), so why be so strict about a simple visit with a very reasonable explanation?

This has been bothering me so much that I rang Manchester airport today, and I was told that under their current guidance my return itinerary and the NOA-1 should have been fine, and there is "no good reason" why my passport wasn't stamped for the usual six months. The supervisor asked for a description of the individual and said that if a similar situation arises with an agent in the future that I should "respectfully ask to speak to his or her superior".

And I do know how people are treated by our own Passport Control ... that's why we aren't making any attempts for my husband to visit me here in the US. I do expect intending immigrants to get a hard time at our border, however, because they have already demonstrated a desire to come and stay. The NOA-1 I carried into England proved the exact opposite intention, and even if I was intending to come to the UK and wait with my husband for a while, it seems ridiculous that this woman would go out of her way to limit my visit the way she did when the customary allowance is six months. It's almost like she was pissed off at me for luring an Englishman away (maybe she does need to get laid).

I'm not mad at this woman for questioning me. I'm mad at her for being unnecessarily nasty about it. The supervisor I spoke with today was entirely sympathetic, even commenting that after my little encounter my husband and I must have felt terrible to think that neither one of us are welcome to see each other. Yep. We sure did.

Edited by Sockmonkey

For CR-1 Process:

CIS

08.17.06 - I-130 mailed to TSC

08.29.06 - NOA-1 generated

09.04.06 - NOA-1 received in the mail from CSC

09.11.06 - *Touch*

09.15.06 - *Touch*

11.01.06 - APPROVED!! [76 days]

NVC

11.20.06 - Case number assigned

11.21.06 - E-mailed Choice of Agent and mailed AOS Bill using James' Shortcuts

11.28.06 - Choice of Agent in NVC system

12.04.06 - IV Bill and I-864 Packet generated

12.06.06 - I-864 mailed using James' Shortcuts

12.12.06 - IV Bill rec'd via USPS and payment sent back to NVC same day

12.21.06 - I-864 in NVC system

12.26.06 - DS-230 generated

12.29.06 - DS-230 mailed using James' Shortcuts

01.08.07 - All paperwork in NVC system.

02.07.07 - Case complete [80 days]. NVC reports our file has left for London

*** Saved total of 29 days using James' Shortcuts***

London Embassy

03.06.07 - Packet arrives with interview date & instructions

04.03.07 - Medical in London - went smoothly

04.12.07 - 10.30 AM Interview at London Embassy - in and out in half an hour!

04.13.07 - Visa arrives at Hubby's home in York, 1.30 PM. WOW!

04.29.07 - Husband arrives in US via Newark. :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually my husband had a similar experiencing coming here to see me from Canada once. I had been up visiting him and he wanted to come here for a visit so he could spend some time with my daughter. We did have all of our paperwork in order, and we were by then only waiting for the first packet to arrive from Montreal so logically speaking by the it would be incredibly idiotic of us to endanger the process by him not returning.

Although a permanent resident of Canada since he was young, he still holds UK citizenship and as such was eligible for the VWP, if they would allow him in. It took us 2 hours to get through customs that day as they inspected everything in our car and verified every document we presented to them. Eventually they finally decided to let him visit (we think they got tired to listening to me explain all the details of our journey so far and how there was no way in hell we'd screw it up now)....Anyway when they did finally decide to let him come home for a visit they restricted his time to 3 weeks despite the VWP and amended that green slip they put in his passport to show 3 weeks.

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

on our last visit to Ireland, instead of the usual stamp that said "permitted to land for 3 months", i was only granted 3 weeks. :blink:

i'm not sure what the difference was, except that i said i was visiting my in-laws.

next time, i think i'll just say "pleasure"

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

Such things are reciprocal in nature; if there have been many Brits denied entry into the USA - well the UK would be prone to do the same to US citizens. Not everyone is like our esteemed poodle Tony B Liar.

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: Timeline

Why is it ok to expect to get a tough time at POE into the US but people are angry and upset when the same thing happens to an american trying to get into the UK....

Sorry you feel you were treated unjustly.... but people entering the US are treated like that and worse every single day....

This was my response as well. Whenever I travelled to the US - from Canada - I made sure I had substantial proof of my ties to Canada. I crossed at the land borders but still got grilled twice and was able to reassure them that I did indeed intend to leave after my visit. Every country is concerned about protecting their own immigration regulations - Americans are not excempt just because they are Americans.

I certainly don't think I'm in any way a special exception because I'm American (and I resent the implication), but as michellek said I doubt there's a big problem with Americans emigrating to the UK illegally. The immigrations process for moving to the UK is almost insanely simple (I know someone who applied for and received a visa from start to finish in a single day just by going to the embassy in New York), so why be so strict about a simple visit with a very reasonable explanation?

This has been bothering me so much that I rang Manchester airport today, and I was told that under their current guidance my return itinerary and the NOA-1 should have been fine, and there is "no good reason" why my passport wasn't stamped for the usual six months. The supervisor asked for a description of the individual and said that if a similar situation arises with an agent in the future that I should "respectfully ask to speak to his or her superior".

And I do know how people are treated by our own Passport Control ... that's why we aren't making any attempts for my husband to visit me here in the US. I do expect intending immigrants to get a hard time at our border, however, because they have already demonstrated a desire to come and stay. The NOA-1 I carried into England proved the exact opposite intention, and even if I was intending to come to the UK and wait with my husband for a while, it seems ridiculous that this woman would go out of her way to limit my visit the way she did when the customary allowance is six months. It's almost like she was pissed off at me for luring an Englishman away (maybe she does need to get laid).

I'm not mad at this woman for questioning me. I'm mad at her for being unnecessarily nasty about it. The supervisor I spoke with today was entirely sympathetic, even commenting that after my little encounter my husband and I must have felt terrible to think that neither one of us are welcome to see each other. Yep. We sure did.

Hey, at least now you know for sure that you were right and they were wrong. That counts for something, right? :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
on our last visit to Ireland, instead of the usual stamp that said "permitted to land for 3 months", i was only granted 3 weeks. :blink:

i'm not sure what the difference was, except that i said i was visiting my in-laws.

next time, i think i'll just say "pleasure"

Hey, maybe they thought they were doing you a favour - after all, not every one enjoys visiting inlaws and perhaps they thought they were giving you a way out of the obligatory longer visit :-) "Gee Ma, we would really LOVE to stay longer but immigration won't let us, shucks"! (You know I am teasing, right?)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!