JP and Tee

Expediting I-130 for Military Spouse

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As far as i know, it's a case to case basis in terms of approval of request to expedite ur case. My fiance just called the military hotline for our request, since he is currently deployed, they(USCIS)update the status of our application and we receive an email that we are lacking of documents, now we are working on it to send what they need, after we send it, that's the time we will know if they will approve our request. Ask you fiance to call the hotline...

I read this on the USCIS FAQ page. Can anyone care to explain what it means and whether we can go this route?

Q. How can I expedite my Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) to bring my spouse to the United States? Is there any way she/he can enter the United States while the petition is being processed?

A. Citizens of the United States, who are serving in the military and have a pending Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) on behalf of their spouse, may e-mail or telephone the USCIS military assistance team and ask for expedited processing of that petition. During that time, your spouse may enter the United States on a K-3 nonimmigrant visa. To get a K-3 visa, you must file a Petition for Alien Fiancé(é) (Form I-129F) on behalf of your spouse. An approved Form I-129F will allow your spouse to enter the United States. If USCIS approves the I-130 petition while your spouse is in the United States on a K-3 visa, she/he can file an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485) to become a legal permanent resident.

FYI, I have a tourist visa and have been visiting the US since 2008. We are planning to apply for a spouse visa some time after mid of this year. We are hoping that the application can be expedited because my boyfriend is active duty military, but we are not sure if it can be done. There is a chance he might be posted abroad after July so we are a little worried about that too.

I read the FAQ above and my understanding was: we apply for I-130, then apply for K3 so I can fly in earlier than waiting at home for the interview etc.then have our interview in the US. Is this correct? Can we still do this since from what I read on VJ, the K3 is no longer an option.

If we file while I'm in my home country, can we ask for the interview to be done in the US (if i am in the us visiting)?

I plan to come home to him for Christmas and going back to my home country at the end of January. Do you think if I visit on my tourist visa after we are married, I will have any problems entering the US?

Thank you for your input!

Hello,

Ok, here's the deal. I know people say on here that you need to be deployed, pending deployment, or PCS orders to have your request expedited, but I really believe it's up to USCIS to make that decision.

I am active duty Navy, I petetioned my wife back in June 2011 on an I-130. When I talked to them about expedite, they granted my request, I wasn't being deployed or on orders to PCS anywhere. I think sometimes if you just talk to people in a kind and respectful way, things happen. Once you get married, have you husband call the Military help line (1-877-247-4645) after he recieves the NOA1. I hope things work out for you, Allah bless.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Salam, Su and Marvin.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I saw your timeline was very quick - 3 months after you got married? That's really quick. My fiance did tell me that it doesn't take that long, depending on the situation. Do you mind sharing your experience on how your filing went?

Thank you :D

Salam, Su and Marvin.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I saw your timeline was very quick - 3 months after you got married? That's really quick. My fiance did tell me that it doesn't take that long, depending on the situation. Do you mind sharing your experience on how your filing went?

Hello to you as well, I am still learing the Muslim sayings so forgive me, I don't want to misspell anything on here and show disrespect.

In reality, all I did was file the paperwork and stayed active on it. I must have called USCIC 100 times in one month, they knew me by my first name:) I was ignorant on the ways of immigration and hadn't made it to this site yet so in retrospect it was a learning process for me and my wife. But every time I called either USCIS or NVC, I always remained friendly and jovial(even with the mundane and robotic answers they give sometimes) just because treat people the way you want to be treated. Once it reached the NVC level, I did the same thing, I called and asked about expedite services and they informed me to send and email to the supervisor(I believe Sue is her name). After that they approved it and sent it to the Embassy in KL. It took about 2 weeks after that to secure an interview with KL for my wife, she was put on AP due to my divorce decree being from Mexico. After a week and a half, it was cleared up and she got her visa.

The biggest things to consider here are: what country are you from, are there any issues between the two of you(previous marriages, kids, age difference). All of these things play into your journey, Malaysia is a MENA country(Middle Eastern North African) so scrunity is always there regardless but it's not high fraud so I count that as a blessing. I am just grateful that I was able to get Su here as fast as I did, I see other journeys here that last 3x as long or longer. It can take several months and some cases up to a year or more, but once again each case is different.

The good thing is you are getting good information from this site so take this time to gather everything now, so when the time comes you and your husband will be ready. If you need anything else, please feel free to PM me, I will be glad to assist in any way I can. Peace be with you.

Edited by Su and Marvin

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Salam, Su and Marvin.

Hello to you as well, I am still learing the Muslim sayings so forgive me, I don't want to misspell anything on here and show disrespect.

In reality, all I did was file the paperwork and stayed active on it. I must have called USCIC 100 times in one month, they knew me by my first name:) I was ignorant on the ways of immigration and hadn't made it to this site yet so in retrospect it was a learning process for me and my wife. But every time I called either USCIS or NVC, I always remained friendly and jovial(even with the mundane and robotic answers they give sometimes) just because treat people the way you want to be treated. Once it reached the NVC level, I did the same thing, I called and asked about expedite services and they informed me to send and email to the supervisor(I believe Sue is her name). After that they approved it and sent it to the Embassy in KL. It took about 2 weeks after that to secure an interview with KL for my wife, she was put on AP due to my divorce decree being from Mexico. After a week and a half, it was cleared up and she got her visa.

The biggest things to consider here are: what country are you from, are there any issues between the two of you(previous marriages, kids, age difference). All of these things play into your journey, Malaysia is a MENA country(Middle Eastern North African) so scrunity is always there regardless but it's not high fraud so I count that as a blessing. I am just grateful that I was able to get Su here as fast as I did, I see other journeys here that last 3x as long or longer. It can take several months and some cases up to a year or more, but once again each case is different.

The good thing is you are getting good information from this sight so take this time to gather everything now, so when the time comes you and your husband will be ready. If you need anything else, please feel free to PM me, I will be glad to assist in any way I can. Peace be with you.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for your input! I understand that each case is different so it's always a little confusing (and scary!) to decide which would be the best for us.

Yes all couples have different circumstances and their cases range from simple to complex. Still the 2 petition options are pretty simple, regardless of how complicated or simple a couples circumstances are.

You

Get married then immigrate = I-130

Or

Immigrate then get married = I-129F

We are having the wedding some time in Aug, so by the time he gets back to the US i'd be his wife (L)

So can we still file for K1 and come here on that visa, or is that considered as fraud as well?

Once you're legally married, you're no longer eligible for or meet the requirements of a K-1. You and your fiance would have to meet two of 3 key requirements; 1. intend to marry within 90 days of entering the U.S., 2. Be free to marry. You can't meet either of those if you're already married.

Addressing your fraud question, it would be fraud, if you attempted to conceal your marriage when answering the many questions that pertain to "fiancee" on the I-129F. You and your fiance sound like intelligent people of good moral character. Therefore, once you started to fill out the I-129F petition, you'd realize that you couldn't complete and file that petition based on your martial status. So in your case, fraud would not be an issue.

We are perfectly fine with waiting (we've been LDR since 2007), since I do have a good job and it'd be nice to have more time with family, since after we are married i'd be moving 12000 miles :D I understand that there are people who adjusted while on tourist visa, but we don't want to do that since we are worried about future repercussions. Plus my fiance, being in the military, is a stickler for such things - he likes to go by the book so that's definitely not a route we'd be taking.

I lived in Australia for a couple of years, and the cert is valid for up to a year from the date it is produced. I no longer live there and going there just to get the cert is not a financially sound idea. So most probably I'd have to apply through mail, which will take time for the cert to be processed etc.

The one from my country takes a couple of weeks so I'll do that closer to the date we are filing since it's easier for me to get it.

So if we file in Aug, chances are i'd get interviewed some time in march - July 2013? Will that be a good guess?

Quite possible or even sooner with an approved request to expedite.

Will I have any problem going into the US to visit while waiting for the I 130 to be processed? Do we have a choice as to where our packet will be sent, since Army Wife said they have different processing times?

Answer to first question:

If you plan to travel to the U.S. after you file the I-130 and have the NOA1, you'll come under more scrutiny. Be sure you have proof of solid ties to your country. 1. Like a letter from your employer stating you're on vacation and you're expected to return to work by/on a certain day. 2. Rental agreement, lease agreement for your home/apartment/condo or some proof of home/property, etc.

Answer to second question:

Where you mail the completed I-130 petition is determined by where your fiance lives at the time of filing. Petitions are mailed to the Phoenix Lockbox or the Chicago lockbox.

Click here to go to the USCIS website, there you can read for yourself and determine where to mail the completed I-130.

Good luck OP

Thanks so much for sharing, really appreciate it!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

Oh no worries. The saying means "peace be with you" so you are right :D My fiance did 3 deployments in the middle east so he's pretty good with some of the arabic terms, tho learning the religious rites are a different matter due to it being in Arabic and all.

My fiance was married before but was divorced for a year before we met and started talking. Did you have to bring your divorce paper to the US Embassy in KL? I am from Malaysia by the way so I can see a lot of similarities in how we'd proceed with our case :)

The good thing is you are getting good information from this sight so take this time to gather everything now, so when the time comes you and your husband will be ready. If you need anything else, please feel free to PM me, I will be glad to assist in any way I can. Peace be with you.

Thank you for your help! Insya Allah I'll be dropping you a PM. I told my fiance about the kind people I've met on this (like yourself, Army Wife and Leatherneck) site and he's happy because now I know it won't be as difficult as I had initially thought it'd be. I always assume the worst then get sad and stuff so he's glad I'm getting a different perspective on this from others who had gone through it.

Timeline

Thanks for your reply, Leatherneck.

Most probably we'd go the I-130 route since we'd be married by the time he goes back to the US after our wedding :crying: We certainly don't want to commit any fraud since that won't be a good way to start our life together, so we are definitely going to go by the law on this one. Other things, maybe we'll be more lax (like what airlines to take, where to go on a holiday) but not immigration! There is too much at stake so we want to do this the proper way.

He had gone through this process before (married but divorced due to cheating wife) so I think he's okay with the filing processes. :D He tells me not to worry coz it'll be all right, but as usual, I want to be super sure so I ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research. Let's just say I am asking questions more for my own peace of mind.

He is based in SC at the moment though there is a possibility he might get orders to PCS later this year, hence more reason for wanting to expedite. But we'll see how this one goes I guess, since there's a lot of what ifs at the moment.

Thank you for your input! :)

Yes, you need to bring his original/certified copy (not a regular copy) of divorce decree to the interview or your case could be delayed. Also, the certificate of good conduct from KLN takes about 1 to 2 months to process. So, please plan ahead if you will be granted for the I-130 expedition.

USCIS (I-130)
2011-03-12 -- Married
2011-04-15 -- I-130 sent
2011-04-18 -- I-130 NOA1 received in mail
2011-07-18 -- I-130 NOA2 approved
I-130 NOA2 was approved 91 days from NOA1 date
NVC
2011-08-05 -- NVC received
2011-08-29 -- Case entered into system
2011-08-30 -- Case # received; Exchanged emails; IIN # received
2011-08-31 -- DS-3032 sent via email
2011-09-02 -- Received DS-3032 and AOS bill via emails; AOS fee paid online
2011-09-06 -- DS-3032 accepted; AOS status: PAID
2011-09-07 -- AOS mailed; Received IV bill via email; IV fee paid online
2011-09-08 -- IV status: PAID
2011-09-09 -- IV mailed
2011-09-14 -- AOS reviewed
2011-09-15 -- IV RFE via phone
2011-09-16 -- IV RFE via email; IV RFE mailed
2011-09-22 -- Case completed
2011-10-04 -- Interview date assigned
U.S. Consulate
2011-10-11 -- Case received
2011-10-31 -- Medical checkup
2011-11-22 -- Interview; Approved
2011-11-25 -- Visa received
United States
2011-12-04 -- Port of entry: Seattle, Washington
2011-12-29 -- SSN applied
2012-01-04 -- Welcome notice letter received
2012-01-04 -- SSN card received
2012-01-19 -- Conditional green card received

USCIS (I-751)

2013-09-13 -- I-751 sent

2013-09-16 -- I-751 delivered

2013-09-18 -- Check cashed

2013-09-21 -- I-751 NOA1 received in mail

2013-09-27 -- I-797C, Biometrics appointment letter received

2014-01-13 -- Approved via email

2014-01-21 -- Permanent green card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello,

Ok, here's the deal. I know people say on here that you need to be deployed, pending deployment, or PCS orders to have your request expedited, but I really believe it's up to USCIS to make that decision.

I am active duty Navy, I petetioned my wife back in June 2011 on an I-130. When I talked to them about expedite, they granted my request, I wasn't being deployed or on orders to PCS anywhere. I think sometimes if you just talk to people in a kind and respectful way, things happen. Once you get married, have you husband call the Military help line (1-877-247-4645) after he recieves the NOA1. I hope things work out for you, Allah bless.

Wow. I guess you talked to the right person. I am also active duty, and from what I understand, you can't get it expedited unless you're deployed or going overseas. I did call them a few times, but it didn't have the luck you had. I waited over six months. :(

He is based in SC at the moment though there is a possibility he might get orders to PCS later this year, hence more reason for wanting to expedite. But we'll see how this one goes I guess, since there's a lot of what ifs at the moment.

Thank you for your input! :)

Where is he PCS-ing to? Overseas?

And good luck with the expedite.

Edited by tuvaty

reg.ula.tion.me.ooow.2011 // tomcat.fight

to do list:
file i-130, petition for alien relative
get immigrant visa
get ssn card and green card
get employment authorization - not required
file I-751, petition to remove the conditions of residence (before 2nd year expires upon entry)
become a US citizen

Thank you Visajourney!

Timeline

Yes, you need to bring his original/certified copy (not a regular copy) of divorce decree to the interview or your case could be delayed. Also, the certificate of good conduct from KLN takes about 1 to 2 months to process. So, please plan ahead if you will be granted for the I-130 expedition.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to need one from Australia too, so probably will start doing both soon. Not lookg forward to paying the fees since we are getting married soon and that in itself, is quite costly!

Is your spouse military as well, kamhoe?

Timeline

Wow. I guess you talked to the right person. I am also active duty, and from what I understand, you can't get it expedited unless you're deployed or going overseas. I did call them a few times, but it didn't have the luck you had. I waited over six months. :(

Where is he PCS-ing to? Overseas?

And good luck with the expedite.

hi tuvaty!

I read that the wait time is five months and more. I certainly hope we don't have to wait that long, since we've been long distance since 2007! About time we stop giving money to the airlines, don't you think :D But I also understand that they are hvg a backlog of cases, something very common in government offices. Less manpower = longer processing time. I work with the Msian goverment, so trust me, I know :P

My fiance might be PCS-ing overseas, or just in the US. We don't know yet. If it's just in the US, then it won't be much of a problem because I can just fly in. Might be a hassle if it's overseas since I'd have to apply for a visa for the country etc (whichever that might be). I am excited though about finally being able to live together, but at the same time, not really looking forward to compiling the paperwork and filing in the forms.

Forms make me nervous :wacko:

Edited by JP and Tee

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi tuvaty!

I read that the wait time is five months and more. I certainly hope we don't have to wait that long, since we've been long distance since 2007! About time we stop giving money to the airlines, don't you think :D But I also understand that they are hvg a backlog of cases, something very common in government offices. Less manpower = longer processing time. I work with the Msian goverment, so trust me, I know :P

My fiance might be PCS-ing overseas, or just in the US. We don't know yet. If it's just in the US, then it won't be much of a problem because I can just fly in. Might be a hassle if it's overseas since I'd have to apply for a visa for the country etc (whichever that might be). I am excited though about finally being able to live together, but at the same time, not really looking forward to compiling the paperwork and filing in the forms.

Forms make me nervous :wacko:

You're welcome!

The best approach to your future petition filing, be very thorough in completing all docs, follow instructions or ask questions. Then relax and wait for the approval, but stay on top of things as needed.

Good luck!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to need one from Australia too, so probably will start doing both soon. Not lookg forward to paying the fees since we are getting married soon and that in itself, is quite costly!

Is your spouse military as well, kamhoe?

No, we were just on the regular route but we know the process for U.S. embassy in Kuala Lumpur pretty well. Feel free to drop me a question if you do.

USCIS (I-130)
2011-03-12 -- Married
2011-04-15 -- I-130 sent
2011-04-18 -- I-130 NOA1 received in mail
2011-07-18 -- I-130 NOA2 approved
I-130 NOA2 was approved 91 days from NOA1 date
NVC
2011-08-05 -- NVC received
2011-08-29 -- Case entered into system
2011-08-30 -- Case # received; Exchanged emails; IIN # received
2011-08-31 -- DS-3032 sent via email
2011-09-02 -- Received DS-3032 and AOS bill via emails; AOS fee paid online
2011-09-06 -- DS-3032 accepted; AOS status: PAID
2011-09-07 -- AOS mailed; Received IV bill via email; IV fee paid online
2011-09-08 -- IV status: PAID
2011-09-09 -- IV mailed
2011-09-14 -- AOS reviewed
2011-09-15 -- IV RFE via phone
2011-09-16 -- IV RFE via email; IV RFE mailed
2011-09-22 -- Case completed
2011-10-04 -- Interview date assigned
U.S. Consulate
2011-10-11 -- Case received
2011-10-31 -- Medical checkup
2011-11-22 -- Interview; Approved
2011-11-25 -- Visa received
United States
2011-12-04 -- Port of entry: Seattle, Washington
2011-12-29 -- SSN applied
2012-01-04 -- Welcome notice letter received
2012-01-04 -- SSN card received
2012-01-19 -- Conditional green card received

USCIS (I-751)

2013-09-13 -- I-751 sent

2013-09-16 -- I-751 delivered

2013-09-18 -- Check cashed

2013-09-21 -- I-751 NOA1 received in mail

2013-09-27 -- I-797C, Biometrics appointment letter received

2014-01-13 -- Approved via email

2014-01-21 -- Permanent green card received

Thanks for your input! I understand that each case is different so it's always a little confusing (and scary!) to decide which would be the best for us.

We are having the wedding some time in Aug, so by the time he gets back to the US i'd be his wife (L)

So can we still file for K1 and come here on that visa, or is that considered as fraud as well?

We are perfectly fine with waiting (we've been LDR since 2007), since I do have a good job and it'd be nice to have more time with family, since after we are married i'd be moving 12000 miles :D I understand that there are people who adjusted while on tourist visa, but we don't want to do that since we are worried about future repercussions. Plus my fiance, being in the military, is a stickler for such things - he likes to go by the book so that's definitely not a route we'd be taking.

I lived in Australia for a couple of years, and the cert is valid for up to a year from the date it is produced. I no longer live there and going there just to get the cert is not a financially sound idea. So most probably I'd have to apply through mail, which will take time for the cert to be processed etc.

The one from my country takes a couple of weeks so I'll do that closer to the date we are filing since it's easier for me to get it.

So if we file in Aug, chances are i'd get interviewed some time in march - July 2013? Will that be a good guess?

Will I have any problem going into the US to visit while waiting for the I 130 to be processed? Do we have a choice as to where our packet will be sent, since Army Wife said they have different processing times?

Thanks so much for sharing, really appreciate it!

Try calling your local embassy directly, just to enquire, and then try calling the National Benefits Centre (number on the uscis website).

See if you can appeal to their good nature to expedite.

event.png

USCIS (189 days)

08/30/2011 Filed I-130

09/07/2011 Priority date/received date

09/08/2011 NOA1 Receipt date

09/13/2011 Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail

03/14/2012 NOA2 – Approved via USCIS' site (no text)

NVC (28 days)

03/19/2012 NVC received my case!

03/20/2012 Got case number! (I called)

03/21/2012 DS-3023 sent & AOS bill paid online

03/22/2012 AOS bill shows PAID

03/23/2012 Instructions for I-864 accessed & emailed DS-3023 AGAIN!

03/24/2012 I-864 sent to NVC

03/27/2012 NVC received I-864 packet

03/28/2012 DS-3023 FINALLY received by NVC

03/29/2012 IV bill received and paid online

03/30/2012 IV bill shows PAID & NVC sent checklist for I-864

04/03/2012 DS-230 packet sent & I-864 checklist sent to NVC

04/04/2012 DS-230 delivered to NVC

04/05/2012 I-864 checklist delivered to NVC

04/05/2012 Called NVC – was told to give them 2-3 weeks

04/09/2012 DS-230 reviewed; Checklist sent

04/09/2012 DS-230 checklist sent via email

04/10/2012 DS-864 checklist requirements accepted

04/12/2012 DS-230 checklist sent via FedEx

04/16/2012 Case complete!!! Thank you Jesus!

US CONSULATE JOURNEY

05/03/2012 Packet 4 received with Interview date.

Case forwarded to Trinidad.

06/04/2012 Interview date! APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.