Jack and Barbara

Travelling while applying for citizenship

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My wife (PR, came on K-1 fiancee visa) is visiting her family abroad and might stay for a few months before returning.

She is eligible for naturalization just recently so I want to get the ball started on that, preferably before she came back. I was thinking of timing sending her N-400 application so that her biometric appointment would be right after she got back. timing is important because she might spend time with her family in her original country after the biometric appointment.

I understand she would need to come back for interview and oath, which would likely be when she stays here for good.

A question I have is, even though both trips to her original country are less than 6 months (and the 180 day continuous presence test would not be an issue), would there be any other issues with her traveling back and forth (such as during her interview)?

Ideally, she would be here during those 3-4 months from biometric to oath, but that might not happen, so any advice is appreciated!

Regards,

Jack

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

First of all, if you are going to apply while she is abroad, make sure that she signs the N-400 form. She could sign the form and send it to you. You will not be able to sign the form for her.

The trips should not be a problem since she is married to you, has ties to the US, preserving her residence etc. and is just visiting family over there.

Make sure that besides the continuous residence (no trips more than 180 days) she also satisfies the physical presence requirement (18 months in the US if applying based on marriage to a US citizen).

Other than this, she could travel after the application before the interview etc. She just needs to make sure to update her travel information with the interviewing officer when the officer goes over her N-400 application; i.e., during the interview, she needs to report the trips she has taken after she has filed for N-400.

Best of luck!

Edited by nwctzn

I am just wondering :unsure: If you are thinking to send her N-400 while she is out of the country, what are you planning to write in N-400 about her trips? I mean that question in the application about the trips she had taken, as well as the numbers of the days she had been out of the county. How do you guy plan to count her current trip if she is still on that trip? :blink:

I am just wondering :unsure: If you are thinking to send her N-400 while she is out of the country, what are you planning to write in N-400 about her trips? I mean that question in the application about the trips she had taken, as well as the numbers of the days she had been out of the county. How do you guy plan to count her current trip if she is still on that trip? :blink:

Great catch! Did really not think about that. Must be getting late for me. I call it the day!

if she just left a few days or a week or so ago, you can date the application on the day she left. my husband filled out all his forms and signed and dated it a good 2 or 3 weeks before we actually mailed it in (because we were waiting for the marriage certificate copy from overseas, and when that came - we didnt want to have to print out the page and sign it again just to change a date)

04/20/2004 Got married in the Philippines, and lived between here and there

10/15/2008 Husband arrives in USA on B1/B2 Tourist Visa

12/19/2008 Sent I-130 & I-485 AOS package via USPS Priority

12/21/2008 Package delivered

12/26/2008 NOA's dated for I-1485, I-130, I-131, I-765

03/30/2009 Obtained Green Card

01/24/2012 Mailed in N-400 for Naturalization

01/31/2012 Check for $680 was cashed

http://www.businessbeanstalk.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

A question I have is, even though both trips to her original country are less than 6 months (and the 180 day continuous presence test would not be an issue), would there be any other issues with her traveling back and forth (such as during her interview)?

Depends are her trips taken right after each other (say gone 5 months, return for a few weeks and then gone for another 6 months or so)? If so that can have a big impact. Is there only 2 trips like this for this long of a duration each that she's taken during her PR status? Or has she been taking these long extended trips all throughout being a PR?

Also what is the nature of her trips? Are they strictly just seeing family or is she working at all? That can be another big factor for the interviewer to determine if she was maintaining US residency...

So it all depends on a variety of things right now.

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Depends are her trips taken right after each other (say gone 5 months, return for a few weeks and then gone for another 6 months or so)? If so that can have a big impact. Is there only 2 trips like this for this long of a duration each that she's taken during her PR status? Or has she been taking these long extended trips all throughout being a PR?

Also what is the nature of her trips? Are they strictly just seeing family or is she working at all? That can be another big factor for the interviewer to determine if she was maintaining US residency...

So it all depends on a variety of things right now.

Good points. Right now is her first trip of up to 6 months, potentially followed by another. Purpose is to visit family, no work involved. Any other travel for the last 3+ years has been about 2-3 weeks 1-2 per year.

During the interview itself, does the interviewer review the dates on the package or dates up until the interview?

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

Timeline

I'm assuming the current trip could be listed as from such and such date until present...

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

I'm assuming the current trip could be listed as from such and such date until present...

On the form you will enter the date she entered/enters the US. You cannot write "present" or the present date as the date entered US since it is a false statement and USCIS will definitely grill you on that. I would not complicate things and wait until she is back from her current trip. Believe me, it will save you time, money and headaches if you apply once she is back.

Edited by nwctzn

Timeline

On the form you will enter the date she entered/enters the US. You cannot write "present" or the present date as the date entered US since it is a false statement and USCIS will definitely grill you on that. I would not complicate things and wait until she is back from her current trip. Believe me, it will save you time, money and headaches if you apply once she is back.

I agree that it is better ("safer") to wait until she is back but I'd like to hear from anyone (if available) who might have submitted it while traveling.

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

I agree that it is better ("safer") to wait until she is back but I'd like to hear from anyone (if available) who might have submitted it while traveling.

Yeah, for the current trip, you could leave the "Date Returned to US" blank or fill in N/A and as you said count the days until the filing day. And during the interview your wife can inform the officer about the exact date she returned so that the day count gets updated as well.

Maybe there is a fellow VJer who did this. But just to repeat my two cents (maybe I am overly cautious), I would wait until she returns.

Please let us know how it goes since this would shed a lot of light to anyone in the same situation.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good points. Right now is her first trip of up to 6 months, potentially followed by another.

Well it's good she's not working and such and maintaining US residency, but back to back long trips like that really could reset her clock. To properly do that, she should go for how many months she wants to and make sure she's not breaking continuous residency, then wait another year and go on the next extended trip. Otherwise her clock might be reset if she goes for say 4-8 months, comes back for a short time and goes back again for 4-8 months...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Well it's good she's not working and such and maintaining US residency, but back to back long trips like that really could reset her clock. To properly do that, she should go for how many months she wants to and make sure she's not breaking continuous residency, then wait another year and go on the next extended trip. Otherwise her clock might be reset if she goes for say 4-8 months, comes back for a short time and goes back again for 4-8 months...

well, when you say it could reset her clock, I'm not sure I'm following. My understanding is that PRs are allowed to travel for up to 6 months at a time without issue, assuming the other conditions of maintaining physical presence 180 days out of preceding 3 years in the US are met (which will still be upheld).

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

well, when you say it could reset her clock, I'm not sure I'm following. My understanding is that PRs are allowed to travel for up to 6 months at a time without issue, assuming the other conditions of maintaining physical presence 180 days out of preceding 3 years in the US are met (which will still be upheld).

I don't think that your wife's clock will be reset. However, she might be questioned why she has back-to-back long trips close to 6 months each.

Edited by nwctzn

Timeline

I don't think that your wife's clock will be reset. However, she might be questioned why she has back-to-back long trips close to 6 months each.

right, hopefully visitng her family back to back is not an issue. After all, she is a PR, has met all reuirements, and pays taxes...

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.