illogicist

F1 Visa with OPT marrying US Citizen...help!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Oman
Timeline

Hi everyone

I am an F1 visa holder with OPT. My OPT began Jan 25th, and it gives me 3 months to find a job. I have been with my US-citizen girlfriend for a long time and we are planning to get married. 'When' is not a problem - we can get married tomorrow if need be. But I am worried about gaining permanent residence status - specifically, I worry that I have left it too late, and that I may have to leave the country, even if we get married (under the assumption that I am unable to find employment). Can anyone tell me the process here? If my OPT expires April 25th, and I were to get married, say, tomorrow, what forms would I need to file? Would I be able to stay in the country until these forms are processed, even beyond April 25th?

Thanks, much appreciated.

No need to worry, if you can't find an employer, let's volunteer with no pay. Google "volunteer in your city" then apply for it, apply for a job with your study field. I volunteered for a non-profit company to fix computer for low-income people, part time job with no problem at all. Ask the job for a letter then bring to your school DSO to update it with DHS system. OPT is okay with volunteer jobs with no pay. No need to rush, do your AOS when you are really ready. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

To avoid overstaying your F1 visa, all you need to do is make sure USCIS receives and acknowledges your AOS (Adjustment of Status) application before the last day of your authorized stay under the F1. You have 90 days to find employment under OPT, and after that I believe another 60 days of grace period during which you should then leave the US if you haven't been able to find a job. This gives you 5 months from when the OPT was issued to being out of status. This is plenty of time to file AOS, and in best case scenario even get it approved.

Once USCIS has received your AOS application, you enter into a new period of authorized stay which is no longer dependent on your F1 status or OPT. You can still continue working under the EAD that was issued for you for OPT, but you don't have to worry about your OPT expiring. You are allowed to stay in the US lawfully until you have a decision on your AOS case.

Visa Journey has a very detailed and easy to follow guide for filing adjustment of status from a non-immigrant visa. Read through the guide and the forms, and once you have familiarized yourself with the process, come back to ask more detailed questions if something seems to be unclear or you need help with something.

The VJ Guide is here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

What the previous poster noted is also accurate - you can satisfy the OPT requirement even by finding a volunteer/internship job, as long as it is in the field you graduated from.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Oman
Timeline

Thank you both for the info - it's very reassuring. I did not know about the volunteering option, and it's something I may explore while looking for a full-time job. I'm an economics major so it might be difficult to find something in that field, but worth a shot certainly.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am a bit late, But I am reading this and it is very helpful in my situation. My one questio is do I also need to file an I864 form?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Most recent post is in a thread over one year old the threads OP has not been active since the previous last post. Closing zombie thread.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.