borninabarn

Your first Credit Card in America

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

my first credit card on my name is from Capital One.... with $300 credit line (now $500 lol) and then next is Chase with $400 credit line and then American Express with no credit line but have to pay off everymonth.

Before that my husband apply for a credit card for me under his name.. and i used that twice i think then i got my own credit card offer ...

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrm I think I'm missing something here.

I've been getting offers for credit cards for months now, but I've never applied for any credit cards or have any credit history whatsoever.

What's up with that? o.O

Filed: Other Timeline

Just because they send the "pre-approved" applications to you, does not necessarily mean they'll give you a credit card. It just means they bought a mailing list with your name on it.

And remember, the more you apply for credit the worse your score will be.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Just because they send the "pre-approved" applications to you, does not necessarily mean they'll give you a credit card. It just means they bought a mailing list with your name on it.

And remember, the more you apply for credit the worse your score will be.

Thankies, Reba.

I was wondering whether I was missing something here as I didn't think there was a connection as some suggested.

Soooo what really is the best way to start building credit? A secured card with a bank?

Filed: Other Timeline

I honestly don't know if secured credit cards even get reported to the credit bureaus. Check with the bank I guess.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Reba yes, they do..........

This is how I managed to get a real unsecured cc YESTERDAY :dance::dance::dance: (3500CL).

I have had a secured cc for 6 months and I guess it worked :D

Regards,

Ana

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

It does work.

My credit score is actually existant now that I've had the secured credit card. It takes time, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Ana

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.