Alaska2012

How did your kids settle in?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hey there!

I have a son who is 6 years old who naturally is moving with me to the states when our paper work is approved. He is really looking forward to it, to be with his "dad" and he truly loves the area we're gonna live in. Now I'm a little worried though how he's gonna do in school and with friends before he has the language properly. He can make himself understood at least with people that knows him and he uses his whole body to get his message through if he has to. We do try and use english at least a little bit every day at home so he do know some basic stuff but i'm afraid it's no where near enough to keep up with friends!

Now people have told me not to worrie and that he will learn fast, and I'm sure he will but I'm a mom amd worrying is something we are good at lol.

So please tell me how your kids managed in the beginning in a new country!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Our 13 year old spoke little English when he arrived, only what he had learned from a tutor in the 9 months prior to coming here. I worked with him every night teaching him English and doing his homework with him. He was in an ESL program at his regular junior high school. He did well and was very popular, joined the basketball team which helped him a lot. By Christmas they wanted to take him out of ESL and move him to High School as he has already had the lessons they were teaching here in Ukraine.

Last year, 2nd year in high school, he was elected student of the year and won a statewide "Governors Mathmatics Olympiad" with the highest score in mathmatics in the state. He has now run the table of the schools math classes and now is taking calculus at the University of Vermont 2 days per week!

He adjusted well, got a job, saved money for two summers and bought a car CASH that we are envious of. :blush:

It is entirely possible for the children to be well adjusted and do well in school and socially. It takes a lot of support of the parents. Good luck

Incidentally his car is from Sweden, a Volvo S80 T6.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I agree with all your replies to your thread. The kids adapt easier. My 2(16,14) children knew only a few words in English when they got here. After almost 1 year there English is almost fluent and get straight A's in esl class, and regular classes. The boy works and saves every penny and could practically teach any of the math courses offered at School. Don't worry, he will be fine.

Edited by Sayha or bust.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I came to the US when I was 13 years old and only took me three months to be completely fluent. The school I attended had ESL classes for foreign students and I was in there full time during those three months, after that I was moved to regular classes with the other American kids and I didn't feel a thing.

My niece is six years old and currently in first grade, last October a new little girl from Russia came into their class and she now speaks English like the rest of them, she says there's a few words that she can't say but she blends in with all the other kids for the most part.

So don't worry, children are like sponges and they learn and absorb everything adults can't. He'll be just fine.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.