yapasdeprobleme

ERROR on Employment Card = disaster

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

So, after several months of waiting, due to a bank screwup and a sickness, our I485 case FINALLY started to get moving. We received the Employment Authorization Card in the mail last week and were excited to finally get him a SSN and a NY State ID card, and a Bank account and finally make him, like a real person.

Except, USCIS made a typo. They put his DOB as 3/25/2011. As I did not marry an infant, this is clearly a typo, the fault of USCIS. Today was the day I took off work to go to the Social Security Card Center with my husband. I should have called Social Security to find out if the typo would pose a problem, but I thought "we have two other forms of ID that have his correct B-day on, and it's obvious that it's a typo..." so went anyway, and alas, after waiting in line for 2 hours, found that Social Security can not issue my husband a SSN until we have a correct card.

(Sidebar: We also went to the SS office in July, when we had 26 days left on his I90 and she said we couldn't get one because we needed 30 days, which turns out not to be true, of course. - It's 15 days, for anyone who doesn't know - which compounds my extreme frustration)

OK, fine. I should have called SS first. My bad. So I called USCIS right there, and they put a note in the record to change it and expedite it, and it should take 3 weeks, apparently. Then I said "and can you also just put a note in our I485 case, so that the same thing doesn't happen to our Green Card?" No. The answer is no. She can not put a note in a pending case. She can not access the case to make sure they have the right DOB. NO.

Instead, I have to go to a website and MAKE AN APPOINTMENT which may or may not take 2 weeks, to go downtown to see an "authorized immigration officer" to MAKE SURE USCIS HAS NOT MADE A TYPO. How is this fair, reasonable, effective, or logical? HOW!?!

(We then went to the bank to try to open him an account. I figured it would be fruitless, but it was right across the street, so we went and asked anyway. And yes, he needs either a SS Number, a bill with his current address on (which he would not have because he doesn't have a bank account, so why would he have a bill coming to his house? OR a letter from the SS office saying that they've approved his application and will be sending him a card with the SSN on it.)

It's no wonder this whole thing costs so much when they not only have to pay people to incorrectly issue all this ####, but they also have to pay people to answer the phones who are only authorized to "put notes in pending cases", people to design and maintain websites where you make appointments to go see other people who can open a computer file to MAKE SURE THEY DIDN'T SCREW IT UP.

obviously - blowing off steam here. So far, i have no SS#, no bank account, no NYS ID, and one employment card which is apparently invalid. All because someone wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, the lessons learned:

1) If you receive your Employment card and it's wrong, request a new one right away. To do that, you call USCIS and they will expedite a new one at "their costs" because it's their error.

2) If you suspect that the same incorrect info might appear on your green card (she wasn't able to tell me if the info was linked), you can either make an appointment on the infopass website to go talk to someone to make sure it's correct, OR you can wait till it arrives and request a new one (see #1)

3) If you have just entered the country, you may apply for a SSN granted you still have at least 15 days on your I90, NOT 30.

4) You can't get a bank account (at least not at Chase) without EITHER a SSN or a bill (phone, utility) with your present address

those are things i learned today.

7/30/10 - 129F petition Sent to VSC

8/4/10 - NOA 1

10/3/10 - Touched

1/24/11 - Called VSC. Useless

2/1/11 - NOA 2 APPROVED TXT/Email notification

5/4/11 - Interview in Dakar

5/7/11 - Entry into USA @IAD

9/17/11 - AOS, EAD and AP mailed to USCIS

9/28/11 - NOA 1 rec'd for all three

10/18/11 - biometrics (missed due to illness)

12/5/11 - biometrics

12/23/11 - NOA 2- I485 moved to CSC

12/23/11 - EAD approved

1/13/12 - EAD rec'd - wrong DOB

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I understand your frustration. You can open an account at Bank of America without a SS# if you like. You'll just have to make your deposits and withdrawals at the ATM and it will be paperless.

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Actually, you're talking about I-94, not I-90. I-90 is to get a replacement green card.

Passport information should be sufficient for opening a bank account - you can update them later with the SSN - you just have to stand your ground and even get a manager to help out as the law does not require SSN to open a bank account.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

I 94 that's what I meant...

Update: I've just received an email from USCIS saying that I have to mail the card back to them, writing a letter that explains in detail the error, and provide all kinds of supporting documentation THAT THEY ALREADY HAVE ON FILE... THEN they will decide whose fault it was, and if its determined to be their fault, they will issue a new one.

I also can't file my taxes until he gets a SSN and I want my $$$!!!

GARRRRHHHHRRRHHH!!!!!

7/30/10 - 129F petition Sent to VSC

8/4/10 - NOA 1

10/3/10 - Touched

1/24/11 - Called VSC. Useless

2/1/11 - NOA 2 APPROVED TXT/Email notification

5/4/11 - Interview in Dakar

5/7/11 - Entry into USA @IAD

9/17/11 - AOS, EAD and AP mailed to USCIS

9/28/11 - NOA 1 rec'd for all three

10/18/11 - biometrics (missed due to illness)

12/5/11 - biometrics

12/23/11 - NOA 2- I485 moved to CSC

12/23/11 - EAD approved

1/13/12 - EAD rec'd - wrong DOB

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.