racerx07

Parents Visiting US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife just became a USC! We would really like to have her parents from Colombia visit us here in the states. They are not interested in living here just visiting us. We tried previously to get her fsther a tourist visa and he was denied twice in Bogota. Now that my wife is a USC will that have any impact on them getting the visas? I really hope we are not forced to go the I-130 route because there is no need to get them a greencard, we just want them to come spend a couple of weeks with us. Does anyone have any experience they can share getting their parents tourists visas from Colombia once they became a USC? Would it help for her to go with her parents to the interview? The last two times her father tried, they did not even look at his paperwork, just denied him almost instantly.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

YOur wife becoming a USC does not really have any impact (at least positive) on their application. Some people think it may even have a negative one on it. I was in her shoes. I applied for viitors' visa for my mom three times and denied every time. All she wanted to do is visit here. I took her to London...but then London is not the U.S.;besides we really don't have family/friends there so it did not feel the same. Eventually i told her that the only way is to file for her once I get my Citizenship but that means she is expected to consider the U.S her home now and stay here more than she stays in Nigeria and she agreed...the very day I got my Citizenship(sept 2011), I stopped by the post office with my prepared application for her and mailed it in. she is due for interview in couple of weeks.

I will just try to make sure she spends the winter months in warmer climate or go back to Nigeira until the season is over and she adjust better.

Your in-laws may have a different outcome but be ready to see the apllication fee "gone"

they are required to show proof of strong ties to their home countries, like dependent children, reasonalbe real estate, jobs, good cash in bank etc..something that could ensure they are "pulled" back to their home country. You may want to consider just one parent applying( and hopefully the left-behind spouse will be viewed as a 'come back to country" insurance)

all the best

Edited by ndu26

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

Thank you for the reply. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but I would not put it past the USCIS to have such an aweful stance. What is their logic behind forcing us through the I-130/greencard process (in which we are fully entitled to receive)over a tourist Visa which would more likely end up in a result that did not impact the taxpayers of the US? Maybe someone here has more insight into their thinking but for me this is just another level of frustration in their whole approach to imigration. Anyone know if Bogota is any different than the embassy in Nigeria? Or is this a global stance they have? Her mother will never satisify their requirements for "ties to her country"...

Between the cost of the Tourist Visa application, flight to Bogota to help her mother and the emotional impact of the rejection, just go for the greencard even though she has no intentions of living here??

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you for the reply. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but I would not put it past the USCIS to have such an aweful stance. What is their logic behind forcing us through the I-130/greencard process (in which we are fully entitled to receive)over a tourist Visa which would more likely end up in a result that did not impact the taxpayers of the US? Maybe someone here has more insight into their thinking but for me this is just another level of frustration in their whole approach to imigration. Anyone know if Bogota is any different than the embassy in Nigeria? Or is this a global stance they have? Her mother will never satisify their requirements for "ties to her country"...

Between the cost of the Tourist Visa application, flight to Bogota to help her mother and the emotional impact of the rejection, just go for the greencard even though she has no intentions of living here??

You are the one to decide what you would do in the end...keep trying for a B1/B2 for the next 10 years or get your in-laws something for life! May I ask for how long would be their visits if if is the case of getting the tourist visa?But what ndu26 said make sense for me!

Best of luck.

I-130 SENT 2012/01/20

I-130 NOA1 2012/01/24

I-130 NOA2 2012/06/12

NVC receiv 2012/07/02

NVC case # 2012/07/13

DS-3032 emailed 2012/07/13

AOS paid 2012/07/20

AOS sent 2012/07/23

DS-3032 Accepted 2012/07/24

IV paid 2012/07/25

IV/DS-230 sent 2012/07/26

RFE missing pay stubs 2012/08/03

Case completed 2012/08/16

Inteview Date 2012/10/16

221g (new co-sponsor and proof of domicile for my son) crazy stuff!

Timeline

Benuk, yes their visits would be maybe 3 weeks. Just a vacation. They both have jobs/lives in Colombia. It seems liek I need to move forward with the I-130, I was just hoping someone may have had an experience of being a USC and going with one or both of their parents to the embasssy appointment and that making a difference in their decision to allow a tourist visa.

Timeline

Benuk, yes their visits would be maybe 3 weeks. Just a vacation. They both have jobs/lives in Colombia. It seems liek I need to move forward with the I-130, I was just hoping someone may have had an experience of being a USC and going with one or both of their parents to the embasssy appointment and that making a difference in their decision to allow a tourist visa.

Well have a look on the Tourist Visas Forum and for sure you will find it somebody with a same experience or something similar to yours!! But don't give up keep reading and collecting information and you will find some answers! :thumbs:

I-130 SENT 2012/01/20

I-130 NOA1 2012/01/24

I-130 NOA2 2012/06/12

NVC receiv 2012/07/02

NVC case # 2012/07/13

AOS paid 2012/07/20

AOS sent 2012/07/23

IV paid 2012/07/25

Inteview Date 2012/10/16

Filed: Other Timeline

If anything, it makes it more difficult, because as the "immediate relatives" of a U.S. citizen, your wife, they are eligible to file for Adjustment of Status.

They can come with a visitor's visa, file for AoS, and have their Green Card in 3 to 5 months. Since the consular folks know that, they are super careful when issuing visitor's visas.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

If anything, it makes it more difficult, because as the "immediate relatives" of a U.S. citizen, your wife, they are eligible to file for Adjustment of Status.

They can come with a visitor's visa, file for AoS, and have their Green Card in 3 to 5 months. Since the consular folks know that, they are super careful when issuing visitor's visas.

But this in the case they want to immigrate to the US that for what I understand is not the case and by the way not recomended..Will do better for them to wait maximum 12 months in Colombia and get a Immigrant Visa again if the intention are to Immigrate. Case close! :bonk:

I-130 SENT 2012/01/20

I-130 NOA1 2012/01/24

I-130 NOA2 2012/06/12

NVC receiv 2012/07/02

NVC case # 2012/07/13

AOS paid 2012/07/20

AOS sent 2012/07/23

IV paid 2012/07/25

Inteview Date 2012/10/16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.