jons_wifey

Interview experience

11 posts in this topic

Would like to hear from your interview experience, what kind of IO you had, was you nervous, I know I;m nervous about taking the civics test

what was your feeling going into the room and sitting face to face with the IO? was it as scarey as your AOS interview?

How long did the interview last for and what were those famous last words from the IO before you walked out the room?

Was the waiting place busy?

I'm in San Antonio, TX

Ideally would like to hear from fellow antonios about their citizenship interview.

thanks

My interviewer was a bit...stuffy, but not aggressive in any way. Despite the fact I was from the UK, I still had to take the English language part of the test, which was a little bit surprising. The civics questions were fine - they literally didn't deviate from the 100 questions so, if you've memorized those, you're fine (I actually think that they should make that part harder and make the questions more open-ended).

The interview itself was short - I think that was because I had tomes of documentation with my application. He asked a few questions about how the marriage going, etc, nothing too crazy.

I had my interview in Pittsburgh, which is an extremely efficient office. Had my citizenship interview and ceremony within a month of each other and only had to wait about three months after I filed. Very impressed.

Edited by Mark UK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My interviewer was a bit...stuffy, but not aggressive in any way. Despite the fact I was from the UK, I still had to take the English language part of the test, which was a little bit surprising. The civics questions were fine - they literally didn't deviate from the 100 questions so, if you've memorized those, you're fine (I actually think that they should make that part harder and make the questions more open-ended).

The interview itself was short - I think that was because I had tomes of documentation with my application. He asked a few questions about how the marriage going, etc, nothing too crazy.

I had my interview in Pittsburgh, which is an extremely efficient office. Had my citizenship interview and ceremony within a month of each other and only had to wait about three months after I filed. Very impressed.

Everyone must take the english tests, written and oral portion, regardless of where you were born or raised. I was born in UK and spent a lot of time in Canada, so I was pretty confident I could pass the english portion without difficulty. It's basically evidence on the part of the IO to show proof on their side that the applicant knows english.

--

02/27/08 - sent I-751 (remove conditions)

03/07/08 - check cleared

04/24/08 - transferred to VSC

04/25/08 - touched

08/??/08 - reschedule photo & prints

09/19/08 - photo & fingerprints

12/25/08 - touched

12/31/08 - card production ordered

06/14/11 - N-400 app sent

06/16/11 - N-400 NOA

07/07/11 - Biometrics appt.

09/07/11 - N-400 Interview

09/26/11 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Latvia
Timeline

did they really ask you HOW THE MARRIAGE IS GOING? :innocent:

to funny.

11/12/11.....N400 send to Nebraska service center

11/14/11.....N400 delivered to NE

11/21/11.....Check cashed

11/23/11......NOA recived in the mail(priority date nov 14)(notice date nov 21)..(you will be notified of the date and place of your interview when you have been scheduled by the local USCIS office.you should expect to be notified withing 90 days of this notice)

12/13/11......got text and email about biometric letter being send out

12/17/11.......got biometric letter in the mail(appointment date dec 28th)

12/19/11.....did early walk in FP

12/22/11.......got email and text about being placed in line for interview scheduling

01/30/12.......got email from my IO were i was asked to pick my own interview date and send email back with the date i picked

02/06/12......got INETRVIEW email with appointment letter(have to print that out and bring with me on the interview day)

02/28/12.......INTERVIEW with oath on the same day(as long i pass the test afcorse.)

I AM US CITIZEN

Would like to hear from your interview experience, what kind of IO you had, was you nervous, I know I;m nervous about taking the civics test

what was your feeling going into the room and sitting face to face with the IO? was it as scarey as your AOS interview?

How long did the interview last for and what were those famous last words from the IO before you walked out the room?

My IO was pretty much neutral, i.e., neither friendly nor unfriendly. Nothing to be worried about. The civics test is easy. No surprise questions since they always ask from the set of 100 questions. If you have a straight-forward case, the interview is pretty quick. I was in and out in 15 minutes. The last two sentences of my IO were "You have been approved. Wait in the lobby for your oath letter."

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My IO was pretty much neutral, i.e., neither friendly nor unfriendly. Nothing to be worried about. The civics test is easy. No surprise questions since they always ask from the set of 100 questions. If you have a straight-forward case, the interview is pretty quick. I was in and out in 15 minutes. The last two sentences of my IO were "You have been approved. Wait in the lobby for your oath letter."

My IO was a crabby girl, but nothing to do with my case. She looked entirely bored and didn't look like she wanted to be working there. She was generally fine and certainly nothing exciting came up in teh interview. I blanke3d and couldn;t remember my own cell # :) But whatever, she was not there to test me on my own cell # :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

did they really ask you HOW THE MARRIAGE IS GOING? :innocent:

to funny.

Yeah, but then again, I was applying based on marriage, so I wasn't too surprised about that. We had submitted a ton of paperwork proving our marriage was genuine and we didn't have to go for an AOS interview - I was expecting a lot more of a grilling.

The interview isn't a problem and the ceremony was really a wonderful experience. Good luck to all those who are pursuing this path!

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi to everyone, I'm only wanted to share my N-400 time-line

Here is:

09/23/11 N-400 application mailed via USPS to Dallas, TX

09/28/11 Process Initiation

10/03/11 Received NOA letter

10/05/11 Biometrics Notification

10/11/11 Biometric letter received scheduled for 10/26/2011

10/26/11 Biometric done

10/31/11 Notification placed in line for interview

11/08/11 Interview letter in mail, scheduled for 12/15/2011 Buffalo, NY

12/15/11 Interview done N-652 a decision cannot yet be made!!!!

12/20/11 Oath ceremony in que

12/21/11 Oath ceremony letter received, scheduled for 02/10/2012

Total process days 140

:ot:

Hi to everyone, I'm only wanted to share my N-400 time-line

Here is:

09/23/11 N-400 application mailed via USPS to Dallas, TX

09/28/11 Process Initiation

10/03/11 Received NOA letter

10/05/11 Biometrics Notification

10/11/11 Biometric letter received scheduled for 10/26/2011

10/26/11 Biometric done

10/31/11 Notification placed in line for interview

11/08/11 Interview letter in mail, scheduled for 12/15/2011 Buffalo, NY

12/15/11 Interview done N-652 a decision cannot yet be made!!!!

12/20/11 Oath ceremony in que

12/21/11 Oath ceremony letter received, scheduled for 02/10/2012

Total process days 140

Yeah, but then again, I was applying based on marriage, so I wasn't too surprised about that. We had submitted a ton of paperwork proving our marriage was genuine and we didn't have to go for an AOS interview - I was expecting a lot more of a grilling.

The interview isn't a problem and the ceremony was really a wonderful experience. Good luck to all those who are pursuing this path!

You didn't do an AOS interview? Interesting.

2001-2008 F1

08/2008 - AOS VSC

07/2009 - end of 8yrs of grad sch

02/14/09 - ID, GC approved

02/27/09 - CGC rcvd

11/16/2010 - 751 sent - CSC

03/29/2011 - 751 approved

11/15/11 - N400 Sent

11/18/11 - Notice Date

01/27/12 - Interview Date

03/15/12 - Oath Ceremony

event.png

:ot:

You didn't do an AOS interview? Interesting.

Nope. Came as a shock to me, if I'm honest, though I submitted a stupid amount of evidence to prove bona fide marriage in the application. Two ring binders worth, if I recall (just like for the K-1 visa and the citizenship). That might have had something to do with it, though who knows?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

After my wifes' IO spent 45 minutes with her going line by line through the N-400 and explaining nearly a ton of evidence that we were indeed married, taking that English test did seem a bit redundant. She had to write, "I am a good cook".

When my wife first came here, trained to become a medical interpreter and memorized all of those 30 letter long words used in the medical field, so writing that wasn't very difficult for her.

I did research an filled out the N-400 for her so I could sign her form showing her husband had an interest in her, plus compiled a huge amount of evidence. Ha, she didn't like that I added her name to our electric bill, said it doesn't make any difference, if I don't pay it, they will go after you anyway, but the USCIS doesn't know that. But we spent literally hours going over that form and the evidence and the reasons why all those questions were answered the way they were. That was key to her passing her interview.

We never got around to the civics tests until our 4 1/2 hour drive over to St. Paul and went over those hundred questions three times. She snapped back those six answers as very fresh in her mind. Never even bothered with the English test.

When applying for marriage, knowing that N-400 and your evidence is the most important thing.

Also filled out the five year for my stepdaughter, but didn't sign it. Over half the application was N/A and the only bit of evidence she needed was her green card, not much to explain about that. Took her all but three minutes to look over her form, ha, I misspelled Venezuela, so corrected that. Printed out those hundred questions for her, she read that over riding over, but likes to study by herself. But she didn't pass, her IO wanted proof she paid a three year old 50 buck traffic ticket. Nothing in the N-400 form, instructions, addendums, or the M-476 manual says you have to bring that with you. That was dirty pool.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.