mmdude

US citizen by naturalization's spouse - i130, i-485

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi all,

My wife is a US citizen by naturalization (she became a citizen in April 2011)

We got married in June 2011 in US. (I was here on F1 visa)

I am now applying for AOS by submitting i-130 and i-485 (along with health form and affidavit of support and g325a)

Just wanted to make sure if procedures are same for spouse of US citizen by birth and Us Citizen by naturalization??

If there anything that i should be careful about?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Same here! My husband became USC ny naturalization. Don't forget to put down his A# still.

Doing good deeds shall bring happiness

09/05/2005 - Entered US with J-1

04/16/2006 - Met my husband

04/11/2007 - AOS from J-1 to B-2

07/10/2007 - Out of Status

08/26/2011 - Husband became USC through naturalization

10/12/2011 - We got married!

12/03/2011 - Sent AOS package(I-130, I-485, I-765) to Chicago Lockbox

12/05/2011 - Delivery confirmation via USPS

12/16/2011 - Received emails for I-130, I-485

12/22/2011 - Received NOA in mail for I-130, I-485 dated 12/16/2011

12/23/2011 - Received rejected I-765 due to missing signature

12/24/2011 - Received biometrics appointment on 01/09/2012 dated 12/20/2011

12/27/2011 - Reapplied I-765

12/29/2011 - I-765 has been delivered by USPS confirmation

01/04/2012 - Walk-in biometrics done

01/11/2012 - Received NOA in mail for I-765 dated 12/30/2011

02/01/2012 - Received text/email for I-765, Card/Document Production

02/06/2012 - Received EAD card in mail. YAY!

02/07/2012 - Received text/email for interview date, 03/15/2012

02/08/2012 - Received interview letter in mail

03/15/2012 - Interview at San Antonio, approved on spot and got a stamp!

03/23/2012 - Green card in hand! :^D

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Same here! My husband became USC ny naturalization. Don't forget to put down his A# still.

We didn't put an A# down because now he's a citizen the A# doesn't really mean anything (thats our thinking). But by all means put it just to cover all corners but we didn't and had no problems.

Filed: Other Timeline

We didn't put an A# down because now he's a citizen the A# doesn't really mean anything (thats our thinking). But by all means put it just to cover all corners but we didn't and had no problems.

That's correct. US citizens don't have Alien Numbers and aliens don't have US passports.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

That's correct. US citizens don't have Alien Numbers and aliens don't have US passports.

When you see your Certificate of Naturalization there is USCIS Registration No. which is your A#. After you get your citizenship you still have the A# following you. And they can look up your updated status with this USCIS Registraiton No which used to be your A#.

Doing good deeds shall bring happiness

09/05/2005 - Entered US with J-1

04/16/2006 - Met my husband

04/11/2007 - AOS from J-1 to B-2

07/10/2007 - Out of Status

08/26/2011 - Husband became USC through naturalization

10/12/2011 - We got married!

12/03/2011 - Sent AOS package(I-130, I-485, I-765) to Chicago Lockbox

12/05/2011 - Delivery confirmation via USPS

12/16/2011 - Received emails for I-130, I-485

12/22/2011 - Received NOA in mail for I-130, I-485 dated 12/16/2011

12/23/2011 - Received rejected I-765 due to missing signature

12/24/2011 - Received biometrics appointment on 01/09/2012 dated 12/20/2011

12/27/2011 - Reapplied I-765

12/29/2011 - I-765 has been delivered by USPS confirmation

01/04/2012 - Walk-in biometrics done

01/11/2012 - Received NOA in mail for I-765 dated 12/30/2011

02/01/2012 - Received text/email for I-765, Card/Document Production

02/06/2012 - Received EAD card in mail. YAY!

02/07/2012 - Received text/email for interview date, 03/15/2012

02/08/2012 - Received interview letter in mail

03/15/2012 - Interview at San Antonio, approved on spot and got a stamp!

03/23/2012 - Green card in hand! :^D

Filed: Other Timeline

When you see your Certificate of Naturalization there is USCIS Registration No. which is your A#. After you get your citizenship you still have the A# following you. And they can look up your updated status with this USCIS Registraiton No which used to be your A#.

That's right. You are wrong. Once you become a U.S. citizen, your Alien number ceases to exist. For internal use, the USCIS will use the former A number and turn it into the USCIS Registration Number. But they will never ask for that number. They only ask for the A number. Again, the A number ceases to exist once the alien becomes a U.S. citizen, so it's really nonsense to provide a number that cased to exist.

The reason they ask for the A number, if applicable, just so that you know, is because there are LPRs who are petitioning for a spouse. In that case the USCIS needs their A number. If a U.S. citizen petitions, the correct answer is N/A because a U.S. citizen doesn't have an alien number anymore.

Sorry, but I have no idea how I could explain this in any more detail. I tried my best. US citizens do not have an alien number because they are not aliens. Only aliens are aliens.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

My wife is a US citizen by naturalization (she became a citizen in April 2011)

We got married in June 2011 in US. (I was here on F1 visa)

I am now applying for AOS by submitting i-130 and i-485 (along with health form and affidavit of support and g325a)

Just wanted to make sure if procedures are same for spouse of US citizen by birth and Us Citizen by naturalization??

If there anything that i should be careful about?

The only difference is if the petitioner originally became a permanent resident through marriage to a US citizen or LPR. In that case, they may not be eligible to petition for a new spouse until it's been at least five years since they originally became an LPR. This rule is meant to prevent people from acquiring citizenship using the 3 year rule for spouses of US citizens, and then divorcing and petitioning another spouse.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.