Udella&Wiz

Are weiners and lunchmeat ok to bring back to the US now?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hiya - I looked at the US Border patrol site but I didn't see anything saying I can't bring things like hotdogs or Schneider's bologna back in a cooler. Anyone done this recently? It used to be you couldn't bring anything with beef(mad cow scare) and sometimes pork too, but perhaps they've lifted the ban?

It would be for personal use, so a small amount just for us.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hiya - I looked at the US Border patrol site but I didn't see anything saying I can't bring things like hotdogs or Schneider's bologna back in a cooler. Anyone done this recently? It used to be you couldn't bring anything with beef(mad cow scare) and sometimes pork too, but perhaps they've lifted the ban?

It would be for personal use, so a small amount just for us.

You know I'm not sure but I'd really love to see the look on the guard's face when he asked if you had anything to declare and you said "yes, weiners.". lol.

Married 10-27-2011

I-130 Sent : 11-12-2011

I-130 NOA1 : 11-22-2011

I-130 Approved : 5-25-2012

NVC Received : 6-19-2012

Received NVC Case # : 6-22-2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 7-9-2012

Pay I-864 Bill 7-9-2012

Receive I-864 Package : 7-10-2012

Return Completed I-864 :7-10-2012

Receive IV Bill : 7-17-2012

Pay IV Bill : 7-18-2012

Emailed DS-260: 7-22-2012

RFE: 7-30-2012

Sent RFE docs: 7-31-2012

Case Complete 8-7-2012

Interview Date: 9-24-2012

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!! YEA!!

POE:9/29/2012

as1cJWP0g410500MDAwMTQwOGx8MDAwOT dzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGdvdCBtYXJyaWVk.gif

event.png [/url][/img]

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

If I could smuggle a large salami into Japan (and customs specifically forbits such items) then I'm sure you will be fine bringing some wieners into the US. :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you're flying, I'd be careful. Last time I flew back through Newark and went through customs there (used the Island airport in TO so no pre-clearance) they asked about food products and we said no, and they still scanned our bag a second time. I think they were looking specifically at Canadians bringing back thanksgiving leftovers! Ha.

If you're driving, the chances of them asking about food is usually pretty slim.

I don't think it's technically allowed though.

My husband and I have this inside joke when we're waiting in line at customs at Pearson because they have all these posters with the most random food and other items that you're not allowed in like feathers, various bugs etc. So we joke that we can't forget to declare our pet crickets or our feather headpiece :) Ha.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I thought you could bring in meat products now.. but looking at this link..... probably not...

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/arriving_travelers.xmltongue_ss.gif

Hmmmm - hard to tell, idiots...Canadians were going to eat them for pete's sake

Bringing Food into the U.S.

(07/06/2011)We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials.

Agricultural pests and diseases are a threat to U.S. food crops and livestock. Some of these organisms are highly contagious animal diseases that could cause severe economic damage to the livestock industry and losses in production, which would mean increased costs for meat and dairy products. Other pests can affect property values by damaging lawns, ornamental plants, trees, and even homes.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are partners in this effort to protect American agriculture against the introduction of foreign plant and animal pests and diseases at our nation’s ports of entry. USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) develops the policies that determine what agricultural products can come into the country and what products pose a risk and should be kept out. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at ports of entry enforce these agricultural policies. Confiscated items are carefully destroyed in special CBP facilities. For additional information, please visit the CBP Web site. ( www.cbp.gov )

Or write to:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Office of Field Operations

Agriculture Programs and Liaison

1300 Pennsylvania Ave, NW

Washington, DC 20229

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My dad tried to smuggle sausage through airport once and he was stopped because a dog went crazy sniffing the delicious meat. They just confiscated it from him though :lol: That was years and years ago though, so I have no idea about right now...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I was DRIVING back from Saskatoon to DC, when I crossed the Border, they pulled me aside and and Agricultural person came and chatted with me. To be honest I can't recall what she all asked. The only food I had was dog food(bought in the USA though) and Lraft Peanut butter, which she didnt care about

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

WIZ: "Honestly sir, this lunchmeat is for personal use only, and not for distribution!"

CUSTOMS: "Uh huh. That's what they all say. Please get out of the vehicle and step AWAY from the meat..."

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Took a bit of searching but I managed to find this:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/canadian_products.shtml

Food products from Canada, including pet food and fresh (frozen or chilled), cooked, canned or otherwise processed products containing beef, veal, bison, and cervid (e.g., deer, elk, moose, caribou, etc.) are now permitted from Canada in passenger baggage. Products containing sheep, lamb, or goat are prohibited and will not be allowed entry.

Travelers must provide proof of the origin of beef, pork, poultry, cervid meat, and pet food in order to bring them into the United States. Examples of proof of origin include the grocery store receipt where the product was purchased or the label on the product indicating the Province in which it was packaged.

There is a $1000 fine for not declaring that you have meat products for import. :blink:

Driving to and from SK when I went to school in ND, my friend had to throw out her brand new bag of dog food she had bought while in canada on way back to college because it had meat in it. I had heard to truckers who had packed sandwiches with meat and had to throw out.... Ridiculousness...

When my parents came to visit me mom would make a batch of meatless cabbage rolls and put them in cooler along with perogies....mmmm

Sorry I know this is not helpful to current question, just saying.

Edited by minnew

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

What about TimBits. Can we bring them to the US??? We want to share some with Charles!

timbits.jpg

Charles will be your friend forever if you bring him some !:lol: I've never had problems declaring timbits, although the guards look at me with this weird sad smile as if to say 'you crazy Canadians and your Timmie's fix'. Hehe, I even had one guard 'guess' that the x-rayed shape in my luggage was a can of Tim Horton's coffee. (Ottawa airport) We are so predictable! :lol:

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.