Glenn D.

Embassy interview language

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I may have missed this detail somewhere but I'm trying to determine what language will be spoken/expected at the embassy interview. Natalia will be going to the embassy in Kiev and speaks only Russian. Will she need an interpreter?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
:D offcourse she would be provided a translator. in case she doesnt have one then let me know i have a friend who can speak russina. he can help yuour fiance out but for that you need extra money to pay.

ARR.jpgaug06ayeshaB.jpg

Meeting Online: Yahoo chartroom Aug 2001.

Direct meeting & marriage: Dec 2003 USA, NY

I-130 petition in DCFR Tokyo: March 14th 2004. Case reffered to DHS USCIS

Four visits to japan in 2004: Oct 2004, wife got pragnant.

Wife/Fiance left USA and moved into Japan: Feb 5th 2005.

Baby Born: June 24th 2005(Japan)

I-130 denied: July 17 2005(Divorce was declared not valid)

Refiling Divorce: oJuly 17th 2005 NY State.

Divorce granted: Nov 17th 2005

K-1 application: Mar 1st 2006

Approval: May 23rd 2006

US consulate RFE: June 15th 2006

FRE sent (Original passports, birth certificate, all origional docs): July 10th 2006

Medical: Oct 11th 2006.

Interview: Nov 10th 2006(expected)

Filed: Timeline
I may have missed this detail somewhere but I'm trying to determine what language will be spoken/expected at the embassy interview. Natalia will be going to the embassy in Kiev and speaks only Russian. Will she need an interpreter?

I would assume the interview will be in English.

Do you speak Russian?

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Glenn,

Kiev has Russian, Ukrainian, and English speaking people so it's no problem. Now what they will ask her is how you communicate with each other if she doesn't speak English. My now wife spoke some English and I know some Russian (she even said it with a straight face), she told the woman we “Manage fine”.

Kiev is a really easy embassy to work with, I’ve had 2 K1s in the past 3 years from Kiev, the last one early this year. Everyone was always really nice and helpful. Remind your fiancée at least 5 times to not open the brown package they send her with her Visa, or she’ll be making a trip back to the Embassy. After 3 reminders my wife still made the trip back to reseal the envelope. Excitement seems to prevail when the visa arrives!

I’ve never talked to anyone that has been denied at Kiev, I’m sure it’s happened, it’s just really rare. Even on my second K1 in less than 3 years they were easy to deal with.

Best of luck,

Brad

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

11-29 Arrived at Nebraska

12-02 Check Cashed - LIN Receipt # On Check :-)

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-13 NOA2 via internet (day 14)

12-16 Email: Petition Forward to Dept. Of State

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-22-06 Interview passed, K1 Visa approved.

02-24 Visa arrived

04-14 Arrive in America.. SHE'S HERE!

07-07 Married :-)

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-16 Delivery Confirmed (NOA's dated 07-16)

07-24 3 NOA's in the mail box. (MSC #s not online for a long time!)

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-08 Biometrics Complete.

08-28 RFE Sent For I-485??? (Sigh, this is what it takes to get your MSC # online?)

08-31 RFE Snail Mail, Missing Tax Info (which was sent the first time!)

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-08 RFE rcvd at MSC email update

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

09-21 Rcvd AOS appt letter

10-18 Sent 'Status Inquiry' snail mail about EAD/AP not online and not approved.

10-28 AP/EAD FINALLY show online... 106 days. Not complete!

10-28 AP/EAD/AOS touched.

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

11-03 11-07 11-11 and 11-13 EAD touched.

11-15 Day 123 (Day 68 since the RFE) EAD approved 11-14 email! AP still waiting.

11-16 10 AM Aos approved, 2 weeks to the green card we hope!

11-16 2PM EAD card in the mail.

11-17 Email "Welcome letter"

11-20 Welcome letter in Mail

11-27 Another "Welcome" email dated 11-27, changed from 11-17

11-29-06 GC in Mail, Were done for 1.75 years!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Do you speak Russian, Glenn? How do you and Natalia communicate? Well, I know that love has this power to exceed borders or conventions, but the COs may see things from the rigid pragmatic perspective...

As far as the interview is concerned, she can speak any language that the consular officer understands (generally, COs speak the language of the country to which they have been appointed), but she will have to prove the validity of your relationship by this "detail" also - she has to convince the interviewer that you two have been able to exchange ideas, impressions, to talk about your future, to make plans for it ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I had the option of being interviewed in Portuguese or English but the consular had poor Portuguese abbilities so she was happy that I could speak English in my interview.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Timeline
I had the option of being interviewed in Portuguese or English but the consular had poor Portuguese abbilities so she was happy that I could speak English in my interview.

I'm surprised she spoke any at all; Portuguese is murderously difficult to learn. I speak from experience. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.