cheeky^Wolf

Pumpkin Soup

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a good recipe? I had one and have lost it, but remember it had mace in it.

I'm craving soup!

Thanks

Helen

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

I've made this one before... without the cilantro (hate cilantro)... no mace, but yummy!!

1 1/2 tablespoons butter

3/4 cup chopped carrot

3/4 cup chopped celery

3/4 cup chopped ripe banana

1/2 onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1 bay leaf

1 whole clove

5 cups low-salt chicken broth

2 cups canned pure pumpkin

3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk*

1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon yellow curry powder

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrot and next 6 ingredients and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Transfer mixture to processor and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot. Add broth and all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Boil soup over medium-high heat 15 minutes to blend flavors. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate.)

Bring soup to simmer. Divide among 8 bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

I found this one with mace in it but haven't tried it (said it served 1 (?)):

1 cn Pumpkin puree (1 lb 13 oz)

1 qt Milk

2 tb Butter

2 tb Honey

2 tb Maple syrup

1/2 ts Marjoram, dried, powdered

1 ds Fresh ground pepper

1/4 ts Cinnamon

1/4 ts Mace

1 ts Salt

Juice of 1 orange

Heat pumpkin puree, milk, butter, and honey together slowly in a large

saucepan, stirring. Combine maple syrup, marjoram, pepper, cinnamon,

mace, and salt, stir into pumpkin-milk mixture. Heat slowly, stirring

to simmering point. Do not boil. Add the orange juice, a little at a

time, stirring constantly. Serve hot.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Hi Jen,

Great, thanks for those, I'm going to try both.

BTW great pic, very nice to put faces to names :)

Helen

well while we are on the subject of pumpkins :lol: a tried and tested recipe for Pumpkin Pie would be appreciated :D

My mother in law swears by Better Homes & Gardens for all pie and pastry recipes.

http://recipes.bhg.com/recipes/recipedetai...?recipeId=10283

Enjoy!

i can tell you how to make pumpkin jack.. a favorite on southwestern indian reservations

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
well while we are on the subject of pumpkins :lol: a tried and tested recipe for Pumpkin Pie would be appreciated :D

here is a recipe I found in my recipe book.... It might be my mom's recipe but I am not sure....

2 cups grated cooked pumpkin

2 eggs

1 cup white sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp ginger

1/8 tsp nutmeg

3/4 cup whole milk or evaporated milk

2 tbsp cornstarch

1 unbaked pie shell

Mix all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 35 minutes.

Here is pie crust recipe I swear by... It works every time I make it...

Double Crust Pie

(You can always freeze half the dough and use it some other time if you only need one crust.... I like to roll out the extra dough and put it in a pie plate and then freeze it.. so the next time you want to make a pie it is ready to go)

2 cups flour

3/4 tsp salt

1 cup shortening

2 tbsp ice water (or very cold water)

1 egg

1 tbsp white vinegar

Combine flour and salt together. Cut shortening into large pieces and toss with the flour. Cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender or 2 knifes until mixture is uniform and resembles coarse oatmeal.

Stir the water, egg and vinegar together. In a circular motion pour water mixture into the flour mixture. Stir with a fork until all of the ingredients are moistened.

Divide the dough in half and shape each into a ball. On a floured surface, flatten ball into a circle by pressing with the palm of your hand. Flip the flattened ball over to flour each side. Roll dough to uniform thickness, rolling from centre to edges with a light, even strokes. Reshape circle and patch any tears or holes with your hands as you work. Flour the rolling pin and surface as required to prevent sticking. the rolled dough should be approx. 1 1/2 inches larger then the pie plate. Transfer dough to pie plate. To avoid shrinking, ease dough into pan by lifting edges. Do not stretch pastry. Trim and flute edges.

*If you need an unbaked shell do not ####### the pie shell.

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif