AE1206

Affidavit of Support Question for Contractors/Freelancers

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

We just got approved NOA2. As we are moving forward with everything I had a question regarding the Affidavit of support:

I am an independent contractor working on www.oDesk.com for large IT companies what can I do to prove my income of roughly $1K a week? I can print out my contract from oDesk with Google and my past earnings. However I don''t keep all of this money in the bank as I pay rent, food, and other bills so I don't have a high balance in a savings account? I also have my own business which is registered in the US however we are new and are operating near a profit/loss but have a lot of revenue a year close to $200K all of which I can prove if needed again not a lot in the bank as it is being invested to expand the company. Recommendations? Also my family who we will be living with initially has offered to co-sponsor what would they need to write up or send to back us up as a co-sponsor for my fiance?

Thank you in advance all of you have been very helpful so far!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We just got approved NOA2. As we are moving forward with everything I had a question regarding the Affidavit of support:

I am an independent contractor working on www.oDesk.com for large IT companies what can I do to prove my income of roughly $1K a week? I can print out my contract from oDesk with Google and my past earnings. However I don''t keep all of this money in the bank as I pay rent, food, and other bills so I don't have a high balance in a savings account? I also have my own business which is registered in the US however we are new and are operating near a profit/loss but have a lot of revenue a year close to $200K all of which I can prove if needed again not a lot in the bank as it is being invested to expand the company. Recommendations? Also my family who we will be living with initially has offered to co-sponsor what would they need to write up or send to back us up as a co-sponsor for my fiance?

Thank you in advance all of you have been very helpful so far!

If you are an independent contractor / self employed then the income used is from line 22 of your most recent form 1040 tax return. The business revenues are not what is evaluated.

Any joint sponsor must meet the income requirement for their household plus the intending immigrant(s).

See the form I-864 and the form instructions for what is required. This FAQ page may also be helpful >>> http://travel.state..../info_3183.html

The I-864 standards will apply to your I-134 affidavit of support submitted in support of a K visa petition.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If you are an independent contractor / self employed then the income used is from line 22 of your most recent form 1040 tax return. The business revenues are not what is evaluated.

Any joint sponsor must meet the income requirement for their household plus the intending immigrant(s).

See the form I-864 and the form instructions for what is required. This FAQ page may also be helpful >>> http://travel.state..../info_3183.html

The I-864 standards will apply to your I-134 affidavit of support submitted in support of a K visa petition.

:thumbs:

They are interested in your PERSONAL income, not business income. If you file a schedule C that needs to be included with the copy of your 1040 as well as any 1099s. They will consider the income claimed on line 22 of the 1040.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

So to make sure I understand this:

My family would fill out an I-864 forum and I would do the I-134 or would they also need to do an I-134 on top of doing an I-864?

Thank you!

:thumbs:

They are interested in your PERSONAL income, not business income. If you file a schedule C that needs to be included with the copy of your 1040 as well as any 1099s. They will consider the income claimed on line 22 of the 1040.

Ok, like I said I make 1-2K a week and have evidence of this, however I do not have 24,000 hanging around in my bank account for disposal on a rainy day. :)

Will this be an issue? This is why I am thinking of a co-sponsor (my family).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Unless the consulate specifically asks for an I-864, you should provide an I-134 for the primary sponsor (you) and the joint sponsor. Both primary sponsor and joint sponsor will need to also provide the most recent tax return or IRS tax return transcript. Joint sponsor will also need to provide proof of US citizenship or LPR status. You provided this when you filed the petition.

Some consulates don't accept joint sponsors for K visas, but I've never heard of this being a problem in Poland.

Your business revenues are not relevant. They want to know what you've got left to live on after your normal business expenses have been paid. This is why they look at the "total income" line on the tax return.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ok, like I said I make 1-2K a week and have evidence of this, however I do not have 24,000 hanging around in my bank account for disposal on a rainy day. :)

Will this be an issue? This is why I am thinking of a co-sponsor (my family).

bank balance does not matter, you are not required to have ANY money in the bank if your income is sufficient or you have a co-sponsor. Warsaw DOES allow co-sponsors.

You need to prove current income OR use your past years income (often easier for self employed people) ONE of the items you can use to do so is recent banl statements or a bank letter showing the amount of deposits in your bank for the past year. This does not mean the money has to STAY there. Imagine if you had a normal job and they did direct deposuit but you spent most of the money for bills. Your deposits may be $30,000 per year for example but your balance may be $23.46. This would still be OK.

Others have responded to your other questions.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.