wynterstail

Lawyers--anyone used one?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Coming from 18 years in legal services...I tend to think in most situations you're better off with an attorney. But I don't think I've seen any posts from people who actually used a lawyer, or had lawyer at their embassy interview. I'd like to know if anyone, especially in Jamaica, used a lawyer for any of the process, or for the interview itself.

Ann

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Coming from 18 years in legal services...I tend to think in most situations you're better off with an attorney. But I don't think I've seen any posts from people who actually used a lawyer, or had lawyer at their embassy interview. I'd like to know if anyone, especially in Jamaica, used a lawyer for any of the process, or for the interview itself.

Ann

that's because most of these cases on vj are fairly straightforward and don't need one. i'd say more than half the posts i've seen from those with a lawyer they were most unhappy with that attorney.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Ann

that's because most of these cases on vj are fairly straightforward and don't need one. i'd say more than half the posts i've seen from those with a lawyer they were most unhappy with that attorney.

Agree.. there have been many complaints about delays, missing documentation, and outright misinformation provided by attorneys. If you choose to use one, I would suggest careful screening and understanding of their experience. I don't think I've ever read anyone who 'glowed' about their immigration representation.

Our petition was very straightforward.. we chose to manage it ourselves and had absolutely no problems. This site is a plethora of information, but you have to use good judgment about the advice you choose to heed as well.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We used a lawyer thinking: I dont want to screw this up so better to use somebody that has experience more than me - that was before i knew about VJ. I could have done it all myself if I would have known - it just takes time to read the USCIS web site and look at some of the faqs and forums here on VJ.

The lawyer who we used actually had good intentions but in reality really screwed things up and made everything complicated. Our interview was actually cancled when we arrived in Rio but luckily we were able to reschedule a few days later. Not a piece of cake for us like others have posted. We did AOS ourselves without a lawyer and succeeded fortunately.

Our experiences anyway. Good luck with whatever you decide.

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I went through Jamaica and I hired a lawyer. I hadn't found this site yet so I really had no idea what I was doing. In the long run (and to make a long story short) I was always hunting down my lawyer and rarely got to talk to him...I was always talking to an assistant. I found this site and found out that I would need a police certificate from the Bahamas because my then fiance lived there for 10 months. When I asked the lawyer about it he told me that it was not needed...only if he lived there 12 or more months. I listened to him and lo and behold we got a 221g at the interview because we didn't have the police certificate. We were delayed for over 2 months and when I called the lawyer afterwards because I wanted our file sent to me as I was not going to use them any further they asked me if "she" got the visa. They had no idea really who they were talking with it seemed and they didn't even take the time to know if we were approved and how it all went. I know that some of it could be the actual lawyer but we found this one through the AILA and he was supposedly in good standing. In the long run I could have saved all that money and just used VJ for everything...they never steered me wrong where as the lawyer did. The other thing is that you fill out all the forms yourself anyways...they just double check them and type them up nice and pretty for you. Something you can do yourself.

Save the money and just ask as many questions as you need to!!!

Jamie

No matter what a lawyer might tell you -- they (in the end) will not "hold your hand" through the process and make sure it runs smoothly. Save your money.....

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Save your money everyone here can help you. I had my congressman double check them before I sent them in. He actual took my paperwork and mailed it for me. So if you want another set of eyes contact your nearst congressmans office. It helps to have someone else check your work.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We thought about getting one just b4 we found VJ. In 1 week we decided we didin't need one. We did everything by ourselves and never got any RFE. Everything went very smooth.

Save the money for the honeymoon or a house!!!

Carol

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.