dave2011

AP and EAD........Still waiting and xmas travel planned

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to take solace in other peoples experience of the waiting period for EAD and AP. I have generally tended not to get too wrapped in looking at timelines since I started my immigration journey (K1) early this year but I am beginning to get a little concerned/frustrated with my current waiting period. I submitted for EAD and AP together with my AOS and they were received in Chicago on the 26th of September. On the 4th of October my first NOA arrived and I had my biometrics appointment on the 31st of October but since then I haven't heard anything further. Now I realise creating estimate timelines is far from an exact science but it appears rather a lot of people around and after my submission date have found themselves in the fortunate position of having their EAD and AP documents and well done them, but what I hoped to find out is it in many peoples experience that a full 3 month wait (as the current goal on USCIS processing times) is the case? The reason being, despite really wanting to get to work in near future, I had applied for an AP for an xmas vacation back home to the UK on the 23rd of December and wasn't fully anticipating 70 days post-submission still having my case status read 'under initial review'. Does anyone agree my chances of receiving my AP before the 23rd are quite slim and I should re-think my plans? Advice or experiences welcomed. Really hope I'm not coming across as impatient, I apologise if I do.

Thanks,

Dave

Can't comment on the time lines, but in your situation I would call the Infopass line and make an appointment to go and get an I-551 stamp put in your passport. If they've processed your biometrics, then there shouldn't be an issue with them doing this for you. The stamp fulfills the same functionality as the green card itself and they are normally willing to give it for a limited period to allow prebooked travel. You'll need to take evidence of the booking with you, along with your passport, to the appointment.

Hope you have a safe and happy Christmas while home. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Can't comment on the time lines, but in your situation I would call the Infopass line and make an appointment to go and get an I-551 stamp put in your passport. If they've processed your biometrics, then there shouldn't be an issue with them doing this for you. The stamp fulfills the same functionality as the green card itself and they are normally willing to give it for a limited period to allow prebooked travel. You'll need to take evidence of the booking with you, along with your passport, to the appointment.

Hope you have a safe and happy Christmas while home. :)

They won't issue an I-551 stamp before the GC itself has been approved... That said, you may want to inquire about a standalone AP document although there are no guarantees for non-emergency travel.

Just wondering... Was the biometrics date of October 31st your scheduled date or an early walk-in? EAD/AP are generally approved shortly (1-2 weeks) after biometrics are taken if they were taken on the scheduled date. If you did an early walk-in, it would generally be a longer wait since the biometrics would be ahead of the case processing.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Thanks for your advice. Generally, because I have become so well accustomed to the vagaries of USCIS processing times, thankfully it seems I hadn't pre-booked any flights to the UK. Instead, it was more of a provisional arrangement that my wife and I try to honour each year to make it to the UK for xmas. I had considered making an infopass or indeed calling USCIS to inquire about what is going on but was under the illusion that while my situation is remarkably non-urgent this would simply result in them spouting out the 3 month waiting time and telling me to sit tight and wait. This would of course render my AP application sort of redundant as I wouldn't have it in time for the trip.

Regarding my biometrics appointment, I attended the scheduled appointment given by USCIS. I had genuinely thought that on the basis of most other's experiences (2 weeks or so post-biometrics as you rightly point out) that I would have received the documents by late November, hence why I thought foreign travel wouldn't be an issue, along with of course, the delightful vision of being unimpeded in my search for employment. However, no such luck it appears.

Is it worth calling them up or such-like or should I try to maintain patience and accept being somewhat an anomaly?

Thanks,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for your advice. Generally, because I have become so well accustomed to the vagaries of USCIS processing times, thankfully it seems I hadn't pre-booked any flights to the UK. Instead, it was more of a provisional arrangement that my wife and I try to honour each year to make it to the UK for xmas. I had considered making an infopass or indeed calling USCIS to inquire about what is going on but was under the illusion that while my situation is remarkably non-urgent this would simply result in them spouting out the 3 month waiting time and telling me to sit tight and wait. This would of course render my AP application sort of redundant as I wouldn't have it in time for the trip.

Regarding my biometrics appointment, I attended the scheduled appointment given by USCIS. I had genuinely thought that on the basis of most other's experiences (2 weeks or so post-biometrics as you rightly point out) that I would have received the documents by late November, hence why I thought foreign travel wouldn't be an issue, along with of course, the delightful vision of being unimpeded in my search for employment. However, no such luck it appears.

Is it worth calling them up or such-like or should I try to maintain patience and accept being somewhat an anomaly?

Thanks,

Dave

I think it's worth an infopass. Hopefully, your local USCIS office isn't too far away. Also, I was just looking back over my wife's EAD/AP text/email notifications and she received her card within 6 days of the first notification, so there is still hope of that happening in your case. In any event, it's too bad it would have to be such a last-minute booking. USCIS cost us a trip to Colombia for the holidays by taking over 8 months to approve her GC, so I can understand your frustration.

Good luck with everything!

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Thanks, I think I will give the infopass a go, no harm in trying I suppose and it is not too far away. Fingers will remain crossed nonetheless.

I would advise to call uscis and tell them you need to expedite it..they will ask u for a good reason...and based on humanitarian one..like spending xmas with family that you haven t seen for a long time, or something like that , they might accept and give you their fax number..u could then fax a letter explaining why you need it to be expedited..

I did that last week and after 2 days, I received an email saying my ap was approved..

Good luck!

Thanks, I did just give them a call and as predicted, they were quite frankly useless. Not only useless but rude, a delightful combination. Essentially, having said to the representative why I was calling and she apologised that the case was taking longer than usual but there is a 3 month wait at the service center and my case is still pending. As a result, I was to keep waiting. Very helpful advice 71 days after they received it. Apologies for the excessive venting, very frustrating when one has to wait so long to be able to work and make travel plans. Have got a connection with a senators office so perhaps that will be more productive.

Thanks, I did just give them a call and as predicted, they were quite frankly useless. Not only useless but rude, a delightful combination. Essentially, having said to the representative why I was calling and she apologised that the case was taking longer than usual but there is a 3 month wait at the service center and my case is still pending. As a result, I was to keep waiting. Very helpful advice 71 days after they received it. Apologies for the excessive venting, very frustrating when one has to wait so long to be able to work and make travel plans. Have got a connection with a senators office so perhaps that will be more productive.

I see Washington, DC is your local field office. Unfortunately, Washington DC is an office that is backed up and has been for years. You might still try making an Infopass appointment if you don't receive AP within the next week or so and talk to an actual IO at the office. Obviously your situation is not an emergency but some officers will approve an expedited stand-alone AP for non-emergency situations. Not frequently, but if Fairfax isn't too out of your way it might be worth a shot.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Ok, thanks for the advice. My wife actually spoke to a congressional aide she knew today and whom looked into our case. Of course as it turns out, it has been sat with an officer awaiting approval on something, since October! Will know more tomorrow hopefully. Fingers crossed its not an RFE or suchlike!

Edited by dave2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.