Alex13

Background Check/SSN Issues

11 posts in this topic

Hey folks!

I've ran into a problem. I got my SSN at the beginning of November and began applying for jobs, etc. I heard back from ONE (out of about 15) and went for an interview (it was for a Radio Shack store) and the interview went great. They really liked me, she asked if I could sign all these forms etc and scanned my Social Security card and Green Card, and that she'd be in touch after background checks etc to schedule me in to work...

So anyway, last week she called to say my background check came up as NEGATIVE. Bizarre, since there's no reason at all why I shouldn't pass a background check. She said the company (LexisNexis) would mail me a letter with their findings, etc.

She told me to call back once I got the letter to see if they could work it out...

So anyway, I got the letter and it says 'INVALID SSN OR SSN WAS ISSUED AFTER JUNE 2011' - well, obviously it's a valid SSN and it WAS issued in November 2011. So basically, they have a really old system or something...

As it stands, the Radio Shack lady said she'd speak to her administrator on Monday, but I honestly am not expecting much at this stage - seeing as they can't background check me because of 'invalid or new SSN'.

What's the deal with that? Has anyone else experienced this? Surely it's not customary to get your SSN and just 'wait 6 months' before you can get a job!?

Or is it this particular company (LexisNexis) with a poor system?

Genuinely upsetting since it's right before Christmas and it was a job I was particularly excited about. Not to mention it's the only damn place that's got back to me in the 3-4 weeks since I started applying at places!

08/10/11 - Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox (concurrent filing of I-485 and I-130)

08/12/11 - AOS Package received

08/17/11 - Received NOA1, NOA2 and NOA3

09/07/11 - Biometrics appointment at Dallas Service Center

10/02/11 - Received Interview appointment for 10/21/11 in Dallas

10/21/11 - Interview - APPROVED!!

It validates that your story / history is correct and that there is no history for you prior to that date......(I'd worry if there was!!) The lady at Radio Shack should be able to reason this out if you leave her a couple of bread crumbs to find the way. Mention that the report is correct since you are a new immigrant. Should be pretty simple. Best of luck!!

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Sounds like they need a background check for company policy so do you have a copy of you UK police report? Maybe that would help them know you're okay. Tell the lady you cleared all kinds of Dept of Homeland Security checks to get that new greencard. Maybe they can be flexible. If it's a rigid corporate policy that only can be met by their one check based on SSN, then you could be out of luck.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I had somewhat similar story trying to add my name to Duke Energy (Electricity/Gas supplier) bill - we went through all the required data and person on the phone said my SSN number seems to be too new (got it end of August, was trying to add my name in October) - finally they e-mailed me the form with my personal info that I had to notarize and send back.

Were they doing a credit check as part of the background checks? I've had minor issues with companies telling me I don't exist :blink: and that even months and months after immigrating.

Any reasonable employer should be able to work this out. If it's too much of a problem for them then they would probably have turned out to be the kind of employer that caused you problems later. Hope it works out ok for you :-)

Filed: Timeline

I had the very same issue with LexisNexis when I applied to Walgreens.

It takes about 3 months for your new SSN to show up in the system.

If you call LexisNexis (which I did) they will tell you the same.

You need to go to your local SS office ask them to print out a letter basically that tells your boss your SSN is valid.

ComicBookFan

Edited by ComicBookFan

Thanks for your help guys. I'll get in touch with my SS office to get hold of some verification letter.

Totally bizarre to me that LexisNexis' 'state of the art' background checks are apparently so rudimentary!

08/10/11 - Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox (concurrent filing of I-485 and I-130)

Update: today I received mail notification from Radio Shack that 'due to the results of the background check conducted by LexisNexis' they are unable to offer me employment at this time.

Absolutely inept.

Not to mention demoralising; how many other potential employers use this joke of a company? And how many other potential employers use a company with a similar system?

I live in a relatively small-town in Texas (about 13'000 population) so it's not as if job opportunities are rife. Especially since I'm not a teacher or a nurse!

Edited by Alex13

That is soooooo lame of an excuse. What the heck do they think? What are they thinking.......?? The store manager has to be the biggest dumb a@@ and lack any common sense. I think maybe you might be lucky not working for such a close minded company that they can't see past their own noses at a legitimate exception to the rule. If you truly wish to get hired, I'd find out the district manager's name and contact him or her. Best of luck and I'm truly sorry........

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Filed: Timeline

Alex,

I understand your frustrations. I was told there was nothing that could be done (by Walgreens) and to just retry in a month or two. The good thing is I did find another (better) job in a few weeks later. So don't give up and keep trying.

If I were you I would write a lengthy letter to LexisNexus about this.

Apparently, they do not care that their 'state of the art system' is costing people jobs because their system has a lag on verifying newly printed SSN'S.

best of luck,

ComicBookFan

Update: today I received mail notification from Radio Shack that 'due to the results of the background check conducted by LexisNexis' they are unable to offer me employment at this time.

Absolutely inept.

Not to mention demoralising; how many other potential employers use this joke of a company? And how many other potential employers use a company with a similar system?

I live in a relatively small-town in Texas (about 13'000 population) so it's not as if job opportunities are rife. Especially since I'm not a teacher or a nurse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.