Welshcookie

What to you do......

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Maybe I'm just mean - I've started limiting the amount of icecream my husband is allowed to eat in a day...

:D

LOL Christina - are you also limiting the amount of icecream that *you* eat in a day? :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a friend who for his whole life has only eaten bread, cheese and some potatoes (fries, crisps etc). His parents took him to all sorts of counselling when he was a child- but nothing helped. He just wont eat anything else. He actually says now that he thinks the more fuss was made over it, the more stubborn he got. And now its just a life habit.

It seems like loads of children go through it at some point, but most grow out of it. some obviously dont. :)

If I were you I would just be careful making a big deal of it. He will eat other things when he's ready.

omg....that kind of frightens me :lol::lol:

I have started putting veg on his plate anyway just in hope that he may start to eat it if it is always there.

I mean he is just never ill....been to the docs twice, once for a hernia and once for ear infection....yeh, I will definately do the vitamin pills :thumbs:

Thanks guys....I am reading with interest....

Ops! If i may, I would have a different input, before trying anything, maybe try a light investigation method, basically related to the source, wich is himself (and not what everybody or the books say, etc) : what are his own words about his eating situation, listening to what he says...., then, associated with his medical issues (hernia, ear infection) see what was his emotional reaction to this medical stuff was/ or still is. I would help him verbalize all he can or has to say about it...and from there some solutions can be design with his acceptance (that means negotiating with him) that are convinient for him...With a kid in full development, eating is an important sign of something else maybe...I say all this because I would care if his issue creates issues in the family...something else might be at stake for him...In short, i would not force him in anything, i would observe him and help him talk about it...whenever the occasion...presents..reflecting you are open to talk about it...then waiting he comes to you ...

I have a friend who for his whole life has only eaten bread, cheese and some potatoes (fries, crisps etc). His parents took him to all sorts of counselling when he was a child- but nothing helped. He just wont eat anything else. He actually says now that he thinks the more fuss was made over it, the more stubborn he got. And now its just a life habit.

It seems like loads of children go through it at some point, but most grow out of it. some obviously dont. :)

If I were you I would just be careful making a big deal of it. He will eat other things when he's ready.

omg....that kind of frightens me :lol::lol:

I have started putting veg on his plate anyway just in hope that he may start to eat it if it is always there.

I mean he is just never ill....been to the docs twice, once for a hernia and once for ear infection....yeh, I will definately do the vitamin pills :thumbs:

Thanks guys....I am reading with interest....

Ops! If i may, I would have a different input, before trying anything, maybe try a light investigation method, basically related to the source, wich is himself (and not what everybody or the books say, etc) : what are his own words about his eating situation, listening to what he says...., then, associated with his medical issues (hernia, ear infection) see what was his emotional reaction to this medical stuff was/ or still is. I would help him verbalize all he can or has to say about it...and from there some solutions can be design with his acceptance (that means negotiating with him) that are convinient for him...With a kid in full development, eating is an important sign of something else maybe...I say all this because I would care if his issue creates issues in the family...something else might be at stake for him...In short, i would not force him in anything, i would observe him and help him talk about it...whenever the occasion...presents..reflecting you are open to talk about it...then waiting he comes to you ...

Ops no2. I forgot to say that another important thing to try to investigate is to remember the 1st time he showed this type of eating problem...as an element of source...that might help to find the right method adequate to him...but i would underline that if it is associated with a medical situation, a counsellor might be also useful to consult...

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Filed: Other Timeline

when my sister was little, for about 2 years, all she would eat was Rice Krispies, hot dogs, and peanut butter sandwiches. BUT, if she wouldn't eat the meal that was placed in front of her by Mum, then she had to get up and prepare herself something. It was Mum's kitchen, NOT Mum's Diner ;)

An ex-boyfriend however, was catered to hand and foot for 30 years by his mother, and then I had to try and un-do it all. Didn't work :P His mother would make one meal for her and his 2 brothers, and something else entirely for him. She even did that at family holiday suppers. Something for him, and something else for everyone else. He tried that with me, and I told him to make himself a peanut butter sandwich :P Spoilt rotten... grrrrrrrrrrr

I know a lot of fussy eaters, and most of them can be enticed to eat with something that they'll find that they like. My nephew, son of the aforementioned fussy sister, looooooooooves broccoli. He'll eat it every night of the week. And he looooooooooooves French Toast. He'll say "Daddy, let me take you out for French Toast" because they can't make it at home, it has to be got at his favourite diner ;) He'll be 5 in October.

Eating habits start young, and will continue if parents let them. Bad eating habits can lead to eating disorders, which are never fun. If you have to, consult with a children's nutritionist for some healthy, fun and tasty recipes. It doesn't have to look like healthy food!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

My eldest Son was exactly the same as your Son....but he is now a heathty 29 yr.old father of 2 ...and I have to add that at no point has he ever been anything other than a normal weight. He ate potatoes, bread, beefburgers and the only veg he would eat, but only rarely, was carrots (I think because they weren't green!). My other Son ate everything that was put in front of him and, to my knowledge, I treated them both the same when it came to food...just one of them turned 'picky'.

Below is a link to a document following a Channel 4 TV program called 'Children Behaving Badly'...which I can remember watching while I was still in the UK....my job for 16 years was a Childminder and lots of the kids I cared for liked to control grown-ups with their food and the last thing you should do is to make a battle of it, as it is a battle that you cannot win :no:

I wish you luck, but try not to worry too much...as others have suggested, just top him up with a good multi-vit.

http://www.annafreudcentre.org/CHILDREN%20...not%20eating%22

Jen

Edited by ladybird216

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

growing up we had to eat what was on our plate..... I remember once when I was around 5 I didn't want to eat my rice... my mom made me stay at the table till I ate the rice..... I eventually ate it beucase I knew I wasn't going to be able to leave the table until I did.... rice isn't very good cold :P

My parents were never mean or overlally strict about it... we just knew we had to eat what was put in front of us.... Now I prefer a piece of fruit over a piece of chocolate cake.... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Make the boy sit down to well balanced meal, if he refuses to eat, he goes hungry. The child will not starve himself death. The hungrier they get, they more they will notice how good everthing tastes, regardless of what it may be.

Have you ever noticed when you go backpacking or camping, when you are hungry, everything in your pack is the best thing you have ever eaten? I learned to enjoy many new foods this way.

Timeline

My daughter has been a icky eater and under weight from day one.

My doctor said not to allow her to drink or eat anything that has empty calories. She wasn't allowed to drink soda pop at all. Only milk, juice or water.

I would add healthy items into foods she likes without her even knowing. Like grated carrots into hamburger meat . I also have her help plan the meals and help me cook them. There's no use in pressuring your child to eat. Food should never be a reward nor should it be pushed into a child.

If your very concerned about your child not getting enough vitamins & minerals, then give them a multi vitamin & also look into if they have Pedia ensure in your area. ( this is a supplemental drink full of good stuff that many infirmed people drink when they can't eat. I actually lived on the stuff when I had Cancer). It comes in different flavours too.

If your child likes milkshakes/milk make fruit smoothies. least thats one way to get milk & fruits into them.

Ask him what kinds of food he/she would like and offer to let him/her plan the whole meal one day a week. It will make the child feel like they are contributing and are more apt to eat.

My daughter is still under weight but is healthy. My doctor told me she will never be normal weight or over weight becuase she is just structured that way. She's almost 5 ft. tall and weighs 65 lbs.

My parents make a huge issue of her not eating much, stating she eats like a bird, but I remind them that if your child makes a fist with their own hand, that is the size of that childs stomach. People don't realize how small the childs stomach actually is and how much it can hold.

Goodluck!

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
If he's otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry about it. Give him a multiple vitamin each day just to top things off. We buy our daughter at Costco the ones that are like gummy bears.

mmm I still take those!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Tell him that if he doesnt eat the big boys at school will beat him up, and get one of those boys to tell him the same thing...he will get to eating.

Um....NO. Using terror methods won't work. Gawd, I certainly hope you don't tell your kids (if you have any) something as asinine as this.

One thing we don't do is force food and we certainly don't threaten her with things like the above poster presents. At the same time we don't let her just not eat at all. She has to eat something that we've cooked...at least three good sized bites...of each food on her plate. We know she hates onions. That's ok. A child can have likes and dislikes. So, we compromise at times with this. If we fix a dish with onions, she picks them out. No biggie. She does, however, have to at least try something once. We don't bargain or bribe either. That, in my opinion, accomplishes nothing.

The three bite thing seems to work with us. Hope you arrive at a solution to this. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

:thumbs: The food processor is your friend! I learned this with Tim's oldest boy, because I refused to delete items from my cooking for him. So if I wanted peppers, onions, carrots, celery or whatever the "I don't like that" item of the day was it went into the processor and he never knew the difference, until of course I pointed it out at the end of dinner! :devil:

I would eliminate the junk food from the house such as the crisps, leave him less choices and perhaps he will decide there might be other things he would like. Replace sodas with juices, kids love those drink box things.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

my son is 12 he has to take medication, as a result he has no appetite and food at times is "icky" to him. :( The medication has an effect of the way things taste to him. :( To top it off he really does not like meat very much. (He eats alot of eggs and peanutbutter) We deal with it together. He shops with me and we get things that he will eat, within reason. :yes: When I make a meal I tell him what it is. If it is something that he can not deal with then he has to cook his own, but it has to be nutritional and have a veggie and a protein. He does well. :thumbs: His grandparents think that he is thin. :unsure: He is just fine. :thumbs: His Dr does not have a problem with his weight. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: When on the occasion he actually feels like eating food he can eat and eat and eat, and I let him. ;) His sisters eat continually, they are close to the same stature that he is, ;) I am not concerned. :no:

My oldest wasn't a picky eater, she just didn't eat large portions and was more of a 'snacker'. She's got a 'ballerina's body', which is ok because she dances ballet, but lately, it seems that the teenage hormones are kicking in, so she's looking more 'filled out'.

When I know that her body was under stress (last year: ballet, travel soccer, pom pon), I would feed her protein shakes.. protein powder, skim milk, and ice milk.. she loved them. And she took a teen vitamin supplement. I've always taught my kids to listen to their bodies in terms of when they were full, so I NEVER enforced a 'clean your plate, there are starving children overseas' rule. They were allowed ONE piece of candy after dinner if they wanted it, and most often, they passed. I still have Christmas candy in my cupboard because my kids just choose fruit and veggies over sweets.

My youngest has an aversion to most meat and it seems to be 'texture related'. If the meat is AT ALL stringy, like pot roast, she will gag. Not because of the taste, but because of the texture. She will eat chicken, so I don't have a problem cooking chicken in addition to whatever else I'm making... and if I don't, she's content with a peanut butter sandwich... for the protein. They both drink a lot of skim milk, and they eat yogurt, and low fat cheese.

My kitchen is not 'cafeteria style', but I respect my kids' preferences. Turning food into a 'control issue' is just asking for trouble. I learned how to choose my battles a long time ago, and dinnertime is not one of them.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Other Timeline
I would eliminate the junk food from the house such as the crisps, leave him less choices and perhaps he will decide there might be other things he would like. Replace sodas with juices, kids love those drink box things.

I did that for my husband. He's lost a few pounds, and will now choose a fruit instead of begging for cookies. So we get cookies once a week. :D And when I buy ice-cream (a staple!) I look for no sugar added, and low fat brands. Breyer's has a couple of really nice ones.

When James was sick with cancer he used to drink milk with protein drink mixes, and that was about all he could hold down sometimes. And those can actually be used healthfully as a meal replacement, and if you mix them in the blender with fresh or frozen fruit or juice instead of milk, they can be very tasty smoothy too.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The kid I mentor is like that she won't eat, and it's a battle until she wins.

She is 12, I started taking care of her at age 10.

All she eats is Pasta, and rice.

Her mom wants her to eat Veggies and protein.

Well you make fried rice with Broc. and Chicken and she picks out the veggies and protein and only eats the chicken.

Tonight she threw a fit, and I just said, oh well take it up with your mother..

Well then her mother got into it with her, and I became mediator and told Taylor why don't you make up some menus that way your mother can't tell you what to eat, but you need to include some veggies and protein items.

I'm just the cook on Tu/Th night.

Actually at 12 she could cook her own food, but then again she's like me she'd have cereal or something.

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

Timeline

I wanted to add Never make them eat everything on their plate....it is a sure path to obesity. Make them take smaller portions if they are not big eaters but once they are full they are full.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards