akshtray

Confused about Part 10 (Q. 16) on N-400 form

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This is yet another Speeding Ticket question on the N-400 form. I am definitely inclined to say yes for Question 16 on Part 10 of the form. My confusion lies with what I see on my driving record. Before my question though a quick background:

- Have got 4 moving violations in last 7.5 years.

- Last violation was 01/2008 for speeding.

- One of the four violations was driving without a seatbelt (totally ludicrous which I actually did not commit). The other 3 were speeding violations I did commit.

What I see on my driving record:

- Only the last of the four violations shows up.

- The violation says 'Speeding' under Description and 'Conviction' under Court Finding.

This actually confuses me. The reason I paid $10 for my Driving Record is to get the dates I got the tickets on as I do not remember them. I did not realize that they may have been dropped already and not even show up on my record.

1. So do I just list the last violation on N-400? And if it is bought up during the interview explain that I do not remember the dates and present my Driving record? I really do not remember the year, let alone the dates that I got the other tickets on.

2. The fact that the driving record says 'Conviction' change my answers to 'Yes' on questions 17 and 18 as well? Or is it just 16 that is yes?

Thanks for the help guys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

This is yet another Speeding Ticket question on the N-400 form. I am definitely inclined to say yes for Question 16 on Part 10 of the form. My confusion lies with what I see on my driving record. Before my question though a quick background:

- Have got 4 moving violations in last 7.5 years.

- Last violation was 01/2008 for speeding.

- One of the four violations was driving without a seatbelt (totally ludicrous which I actually did not commit). The other 3 were speeding violations I did commit.

What I see on my driving record:

- Only the last of the four violations shows up.

- The violation says 'Speeding' under Description and 'Conviction' under Court Finding.

This actually confuses me. The reason I paid $10 for my Driving Record is to get the dates I got the tickets on as I do not remember them. I did not realize that they may have been dropped already and not even show up on my record.

1. So do I just list the last violation on N-400? And if it is bought up during the interview explain that I do not remember the dates and present my Driving record? I really do not remember the year, let alone the dates that I got the other tickets on.

2. The fact that the driving record says 'Conviction' change my answers to 'Yes' on questions 17 and 18 as well? Or is it just 16 that is yes?

Thanks for the help guys.

If the fine is under $500 you need not report. You can check with others.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

You should be alright ! I answer yes on 16,17,18 but i'm not really worry about traffic tickets and i only wrote about my DUI in 2004 but then i also send them a criminal history off all my arrest and conviction and dont know yet to bring court disposition upon my interview for all my cases my last one was back in 2005 so now is like a waiting game i'm just waiting for my interview letter and if they need any evicence

Edited by Joker69

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

According to the N-400 instructions, traffic violations of that type do not have to be reported. About a year ago, some IO's got a bug about demanding proof those violations were paid, but haven't heard about that recently. Stepdaughter received a decision cannot be made at this time only based on two traffic violations, he demanded proof that they were paid. One was for 50 bucks, other around a hundred. But my senators office sure straightened her IO out in a hurry. So we never had to provide that proof.

Depends on your IO whether he/she demands proof those fines were paid. Stepdaughter didn't think about it, she was suppose to bring in her drivers' license as secondary proof of her ID besides her green card. Another dumb thing the USCIS started. But if she didn't pay those fines, actually I did, she was a minor at the time, she wouldn't have had her drivers' license. They take those away from you as well as your license plates until you pay those fines.

Filed: Timeline

According to the N-400 instructions, traffic violations of that type do not have to be reported. About a year ago, some IO's got a bug about demanding proof those violations were paid, but haven't heard about that recently. Stepdaughter received a decision cannot be made at this time only based on two traffic violations, he demanded proof that they were paid. One was for 50 bucks, other around a hundred. But my senators office sure straightened her IO out in a hurry. So we never had to provide that proof.

Depends on your IO whether he/she demands proof those fines were paid. Stepdaughter didn't think about it, she was suppose to bring in her drivers' license as secondary proof of her ID besides her green card. Another dumb thing the USCIS started. But if she didn't pay those fines, actually I did, she was a minor at the time, she wouldn't have had her drivers' license. They take those away from you as well as your license plates until you pay those fines.

Thanks.

Yes, you pretty much nailed it with regard to the 'paying of the fines'. Like you said not paying fines could possibly have resulted in suspension of the license, etc. Also, you would think Homeland Security would be able to co-ordinate easily enough with the DMV to pull ones records and see if they have any pending fines.

I went through the N-400 instructions and there is little documentation as to what needs to be reported or not reported. Could you possibly point me to the page or section where it has details with regard to the same?

Filed: Other Timeline

If the fine is under $500 you need not report. You can check with others.

Of course it has to be reported. It doesn't have to be documented. Do you understand the difference between telling something and documenting it? Probably not.

You tell them that you got married. You document it by showing the marriage certificate. For fines under $500 no documentation needs to be provided, according to the instructions, although some I.O.s like to have a look anyway and it's in their discretion to tell the applicant what they want or not want, but in any case any violation needs to be listed, as required.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I just mail to request all my court dispositon to 5 different courts of my 10 case in my RAP SHEET ....can't wait to get them so I'll have all my paper work ready soon as i get my interview letter !!!! I'm not really scared of the outcome the past is the past can't duel on it...the good thing is that been out trouble with law since 2005 so i hope thats good moral caracter...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.