victorious

How does divorce in Texas works?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My cousin is in Texas. She's going through a divorce. What causes the divorce is her stepson and her husband being selfish.

What happen is that when she got home from work one night her stepson is having friends over the house drinking, which is illegal for they're underage. This happen while her husband is out of town. It happen more than once. One night she got home from work, there's her stepson's friends again and this time with girls. When she tried to get in their master bedroom it's locked. She knocked so many times but no one would open the door. So she decided to call the police. The police came and open the door, come to find out her stepson is doing drugs with his gf in the room. So the police put them in jail. When her husband came home, He told her that she needs to pay for his son to get out in jail. She told him how can she pay she didn't have any money. ( Since they got married their situation is it's his money and her money never their money ). Then he told her to get out of his house. So my cousin stayed with a friend. Now she's staying in an apartment with nothing. Her husband took her laptop and now planning on taking away her car which he bought for her and the only way for her to go to work.

My question is what my cousin should do? Any people who can give advice? I told her to find a divorce lawyer ( maybe she can find a lawyer that she could pay later). What are the possibilities that could happen to her? She's a 10 yr green card holder.

Edited by victorious

(AOS Sent 12/31/09)

AOS NOA letter received 1/12/10

1/6/10 received date

1/8/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 1/25/10

01/14/10 notice date

02/04/10 appointment date

(AED Sent 1/19/10)

AED NOA letter received 1/29/10

1/21/10 received date

1/27/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 2/2/10

1/29/10 notice date

2/17/10 appointment date

(RFE med exam)

RFE letter received 1/25/10

Notice dated 1/22/10

2/08/10 RFE response sent

2/16/10 received date by uscis MO

(Interview)

Appointment letter received 3/17/2010

Notice dated 3/10/2010

Interview date 4/14/2010

Approved GC 4/14/2010

Maybe they need to seek counseling, before they run to the divorce court. Also, friends and family need to stay out of married folks business and let them work it out.

Timeline

I don't think marriage counseling will help them out. Her husband is now talking to other girls online. And it's my business now since my cousin needed help and we're pretty close. Just so you know your reply didn't help. I don't need a sarcastic smarty pants here.

(AOS Sent 12/31/09)

1/6/10 received date

1/8/10 notice date

01/14/10 notice date

(AED Sent 1/19/10)

1/21/10 received date

1/27/10 notice date

1/29/10 notice date

2/17/10 appointment date

(RFE med exam)

Notice dated 1/22/10

(Interview)

Notice dated 3/10/2010

Interview date 4/14/2010

Approved GC 4/14/2010

If your cousin would seek marriage counseling, then she would be informed of ALL of her options. If she was interested in terminating her marriage then she would be doing the research. Nothing will happen unless she the cousin start something, not you.

Then after the cousin and the hubby get back together, then she will be pointing her finger at you, as the person who started the divorce conversation.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry your cousin is going through this, she should talk to a lawyer. Her husband through her out of the house is keeping her belongings and leaving her with nothing, this is exactly when family needs to step in and help. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice but their should be some form of low cost to free legal advice a women's shelter of Catholic charity might have help for her.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

If your cousin would seek marriage counseling, then she would be informed of ALL of her options. If she was interested in terminating her marriage then she would be doing the research. Nothing will happen unless she the cousin start something, not you.

Then after the cousin and the hubby get back together, then she will be pointing her finger at you, as the person who started the divorce conversation.

You know I asked here in this site since this is a very good site to get some information. You're just annoying trying to tell me if they get back together that they'll point out there fingers on me. My cousin asked help she's been in hell for 3 years now. Trying to work out their marriage now her husband threw her out in the house. Maybe your anti divorce but sorry it doesn't work the way you want it to be. So better stop replying in my topic coz you're no help.

(AOS Sent 12/31/09)

1/6/10 received date

1/8/10 notice date

01/14/10 notice date

(AED Sent 1/19/10)

1/21/10 received date

1/27/10 notice date

1/29/10 notice date

2/17/10 appointment date

(RFE med exam)

Notice dated 1/22/10

(Interview)

Notice dated 3/10/2010

Interview date 4/14/2010

Approved GC 4/14/2010

Timeline

I'm sorry your cousin is going through this, she should talk to a lawyer. Her husband through her out of the house is keeping her belongings and leaving her with nothing, this is exactly when family needs to step in and help. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice but their should be some form of low cost to free legal advice a women's shelter of Catholic charity might have help for her.

Thank you for your reply. It's really hard to see her going through this. She's now planning on going back home in our country for she's feeling hopeless. I told her not to, since she give up everything out there to be here in the US. You're right a divorce lawyer is what she needed. I wish she'll just stay with me but my husband and I are always traveling because of the kind of work my husband have.

(AOS Sent 12/31/09)

1/6/10 received date

1/8/10 notice date

01/14/10 notice date

(AED Sent 1/19/10)

1/21/10 received date

1/27/10 notice date

1/29/10 notice date

2/17/10 appointment date

(RFE med exam)

Notice dated 1/22/10

(Interview)

Notice dated 3/10/2010

Interview date 4/14/2010

Approved GC 4/14/2010

You know I asked here in this site since this is a very good site to get some information. You're just annoying trying to tell me if they get back together that they'll point out there fingers on me. My cousin asked help she's been in hell for 3 years now. Trying to work out their marriage now her husband threw her out in the house. Maybe your anti divorce but sorry it doesn't work the way you want it to be. So better stop replying in my topic coz you're no help.

It sounds like your cousin was in a very unhealthy situation. You don't need to defend yourself or her to the other post-ers on this site. Just ignore them. I can't help you with any information on divorce in Texas but I wish both of you the best in trying to resolve this situation so your cousin can move on with her life.