jessejames

Three or more convictions for crimes... i-129f

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi guys,

I have a couple questions that I am hoping you can help me with.

On the i-129f form it asks if I have Three or more convictions for crimes relating to a controlled substance or alcohol not arising from a single act.

I do have three DUIs (in the years 2000, 2002, and 2003). Below this it reads Using separate sheets of paper, attach information relating to the convictions, such as crimes involved, date of conviction and sentence.

My first problem is that I don't have all my paperwork (I lost them long ago). I was going to attempt to request my records from the DOJ, but their form states:

this process is not to be used to obtain a copy of your record to furnish to another

person or agency for immigration, visa, employment, licensing, or certification purposes (refer to California Penal Code

Section 11125).

So here are my two questions:

1) Can I just write on paper all the information I can remember regarding the convictions? Or should I have a third party retrieve my records?

2) Is my application process so complicated that I should just hire a k1 lawyer? If so, can you recommend one? :help:

Thank you so much!

-Jesse

Edited by jessejames

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would say you need to get copies from the courts of the judgements reached in each case.

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I would say you need to get copies from the courts of the judgements reached in each case.

Thanks Mike. Have you heard of anyone with a similar issue that went to the courts for their records?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The DOJ Record Review is just a summary of your criminal history, according to DOJ records. It can't be used for immigration because it's specifically NOT what they ask for. They want "certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and dispositions for every such conviction". You need to contact the court clerk where you were convicted.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.