chrissy_kashi

DS-157 requires birth certificate but need it now for Interview!!!!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi need help please. I sent my original birth certificate that was required for one of the forms for the K1 visa. I have my interview date and I recieved the confirmation letter but non of my original forms were sent back with it. It says on the embassy website that you are required to bring your original birth certificate. What do I do? call them or will the immigration unit in London return my certificate before the interview? Has anyone had or have this problem? :help:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

you shouldnt actually send anything with the forms no matter what they say. do you have time to get a new birth certificate before the interview because while you might not need it there is always the chance that they might of lost it lo.

for the interview you are supposed to take the original and one copy :)

Edited by Dan & Jenni

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

The form that required my original certificate DS-156K

If I am correct you shouldnt have sent ANY originals into the embassy, you have to take them to the interview. The problem is the forms ( DS-156 DS-156K etc ) are generic ones and you need to look at the embassy specific requirements. Some may require the original documents to be sent and some don't. Always make sure the information you are reading is relating to London.!

You Should have been directed to this link from your Packet 3 letter it is all in there. http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

You need to take originals and copies to the embassy. They will keep the copies once they have verified they are correct. It may not be a problem that they have it already, but someone else who has done the same as you may be able to advise.

Worse case scenario birth certificates are only about £9 at your register office. It has to be the long version though.

Good luck

I-129F Sent 16/05/11

I-129F NOA1 18/05/11

I-129F NOA2 23/09/11

NVC RECEIVED 12/10/11

NVC LEFT 13/10/11

CONSULATE RECEIVED 18/10/11

PACKET 3 RECEIVED 21/10/11

PACKET 3 SENT 21/10/11

MEDICAL 26/10/11

INTERVIEW 12/12/11 APPROVED!!!!

VISA RECEIVED 23/12/11

US ENTRY 31/01/12 POE PHL

MARRIAGE 11/02/12

I-485 SENT 13/03/12

I-765 SENT 13/03/12

I-131 SENT 13/03/12

BOIMETRICS APPT. 06/04/12

Timeline

I cannot obtain an original birth certificate that easy, as I was not born in UK. I am British because my father is English. I pray they have it. I am so worried now. I just read what was said on the form and followed the instructions. I wish I knew this before :unsure:

Timeline

I cannot obtain an original birth certificate that easy, as I was not born in UK. I am British because my father is English. I pray they have it. I am so worried now. I just read what was said on the form and followed the instructions. I wish I knew this before :unsure:

Maybe you should have mentioned that in your original post rather than send us down the wrong advice path. Have you sought a replacement from your country of birth? Also when is your interview date? Have they recieved your returned documents, did you send it by registered post etc.?

I-129F Sent 16/05/11

I-129F NOA1 18/05/11

I-129F NOA2 23/09/11

NVC RECEIVED 12/10/11

NVC LEFT 13/10/11

PACKET 3 SENT 21/10/11

MEDICAL 26/10/11

VISA RECEIVED 23/12/11

MARRIAGE 11/02/12

I-485 SENT 13/03/12

I-765 SENT 13/03/12

I-131 SENT 13/03/12

Timeline

My interview is on the 9th Dec 2011. I am panicking now. I cannot obtain an original, Aparently it may take up to a few months because its from the U.A.E. I truly thought I was following the right instructions :crying: . I am so worried. I have the reciept of postage and I have photocopies. Do you think they will return it in my interview?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My interview is on the 9th Dec 2011. I am panicking now. I cannot obtain an original, Aparently it may take up to a few months because its from the U.A.E. I truly thought I was following the right instructions :crying: . I am so worried. I have the reciept of postage and I have photocopies. Do you think they will return it in my interview?

Just call NVC or where ever you sent the brith cert. to and talk to someone about it. ( before tnen make sure you email them so that you can have proof of communication about the issue to present at the embassy just in case) the chances are if they have it, they will return it.

I came into the U.S through employment immigrant visa I-140. when the staffing company's attorney asked me to send my original document for forward to the NVC, I was alarmed but I did because I desperately wanted to come here and work. Alas the consular officer in Nigeria, almost six months later, gave me back my original documents at the interview ( this was five years ago)...so I hope it works out for you.

Just have the photocopy and inform them about having sent the orignal to NVC and then show them the email coomunication that has you making enquiries about it.

Edited by ndu26

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

you could contact the embassy and ask them about it but i imagine they will return it if you ask them. i think i would also request another one now from the U.A.E just in case they dont return it.

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

Okay, Logically thinking... so they must have recieved the forms from you as they have sheduled an appointment. I dont think it will be a problem. I would call the embassy Monday, there is an 0900 number this is the contact details. http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=United Kingdom&cty=London Have you LND number and passport number at hand when you call. My Interview is on the 12th, let us know how you get on.

I-129F Sent 16/05/11

I-129F NOA1 18/05/11

I-129F NOA2 23/09/11

NVC RECEIVED 12/10/11

NVC LEFT 13/10/11

PACKET 3 SENT 21/10/11

MEDICAL 26/10/11

VISA RECEIVED 23/12/11

MARRIAGE 11/02/12

I-485 SENT 13/03/12

I-765 SENT 13/03/12

I-131 SENT 13/03/12

Hi need help please. I sent my original birth certificate that was required for one of the forms for the K1 visa. I have my interview date and I recieved the confirmation letter but non of my original forms were sent back with it. It says on the embassy website that you are required to bring your original birth certificate. What do I do? call them or will the immigration unit in London return my certificate before the interview? Has anyone had or have this problem? :help:

You made a mistake by not following the instructions London sent you, but you're not the first. The birth certificate was mailed to London, so it's in your file and will be fine for the interview. Point it out to the document lady organizing your papers for the interviewer.

Next question is did you make a photocopy of it? If no, then learn from your mistake and don't ever send anything off without having a photocopy for your records. If you have a photocopy, take it so they can file it and return your original after the interviewer verifies the original. They aren't really into doing photocopying for you so they may keep the original if you don't provide a photocopy for the file. Order a replacement for yourself for later down the road. You will be okay for the interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Also prepare yourself for a delay in visa issuance because of being born in an Arab country. It happens in London often. It won't be because of sending your documents in --not related to that little mistake. It's additional security checks you may be put through. Just saying this so you don't buy plane tickets or make wedding reservations until the visa is in your hands. It's called Additional Processing (AP) and can happen even if they say "approved" at the interview. I've seen it happen many times for non-UK born interviewing in London and most were cleared in 4-8 weeks but they won't be able to tell you how long it will take. Just wanted to alert you to the possibility so you aren't totally blindsided with it if it happens.

Here's a blurb about that:

These additional measures that some individuals are subjected to and that are leading to unexpected delays involve three kinds of security checks affecting nonimmigrant visa processing. If the application is flagged as a possible security concern when a consulate receives a visa application, a request is sent to the Department of State (DOS) for security clearances.

The first possible check is the CONDOR clearance. It is difficult to anticipate whether or not an individual will be subject to this security clearance since the criteria is classified. However, some of the factors that may result in a name being cross referenced through CONDOR include:

--Information disclosed on the visa application Form DS-157. Responses to questions regarding travel to predominantly Muslim countries in the last 10 years, prior employment, military service for certain nationals, and specialized skills or training.

--Country of Birth, Citizenship, or Residence.

--Individuals born in one of the seven countries currently designated as state sponsors of terrorism, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria.

--Individuals born in one of the “List of 26” countries which the USCIS has not publicized but includes Arab and Muslim countries including: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Eritrea, Lebanon, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, Yemen Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, and Kuwait among others.
Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Thanks for the advice, except thank God I have already been to this Embassy several times before and I am in there records. I have been because I worked and studied in University in the States, hence how I met my fiance. They also know I am not orignally arab, I am fully English just born in a different country because of dads work. I have always thankfully been inssued my visa and sent back my passport within a matter of 3 to 5 days which is also great. I am not worried about that. Thanks anyways :thumbs:

Timeline

You made a mistake by not following the instructions London sent you, but you're not the first. The birth certificate was mailed to London, so it's in your file and will be fine for the interview. Point it out to the document lady organizing your papers for the interviewer.

Next question is did you make a photocopy of it? If no, then learn from your mistake and don't ever send anything off without having a photocopy for your records. If you have a photocopy, take it so they can file it and return your original after the interviewer verifies the original. They aren't really into doing photocopying for you so they may keep the original if you don't provide a photocopy for the file. Order a replacement for yourself for later down the road. You will be okay for the interview.

Thank you so much, I have been panicking!! I have all photocopies of everything, I have 3 photocopies of my birth cert. I am always very well organised for this kinda of thing lol. I just never found where it said "don't send any documents with these forms". I have all the steps printed out where it says send all the forms in as you will be delayed otherwise, something like that, so I just followed what was written on all forms. I honestly, thought I was doing it correctly and that I would recieve all my documents at the interview. I am sure I am not the first one to make this mistake. I will have to ring Monday or else I am going to crazy thinking about it. Ugh I feel so stupid :bonk:

Thank you so much, I have been panicking!! I have all photocopies of everything, I have 3 photocopies of my birth cert. I am always very well organised for this kinda of thing lol. I just never found where it said "don't send any documents with these forms". I have all the steps printed out where it says send all the forms in as you will be delayed otherwise, something like that, so I just followed what was written on all forms. I honestly, thought I was doing it correctly and that I would recieve all my documents at the interview. I am sure I am not the first one to make this mistake. I will have to ring Monday or else I am going to crazy thinking about it. Ugh I feel so stupid :bonk:

People do it all the time. I've read their posts and panic, but they come back to say it was all fine at the interview and nobody told them off. You're good to go. :thumbs:

I had a look because they changed the link to the documents recently (from the K1 page) to one ending "interview_documents.html" instead of "application_documents.html". It was the second one that had clearly said "do not mail documents, bring them to the interview." So you shouldn't feel stupid at all. They have changed up their webpages. Both links are still active but the one formerly attached to the K1 page has been changed up a bit.

Three lists now and none really say clearly not to mail them in:

http://london.usembassy.gov/interview_documents.html (new link from K1 page)

http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html (former link from K1 with text edited in last few weeks I would say. Now more for spouse visas)

http://london.usembassy.gov/document_checklist.html (and another page)

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.