tomkean28

Am I worrying too much???

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I saw my fiancee 4 times in 7 months and we plan to spend the holidays together and hopefully be present at the day of her interview. We've only been together for 7 months now and I have a recent divorce and a recent annulment all of which took place this year.

I'm a bit worried about those 3 factors. 1) Recent divorce 2) Recent annulment (I filed for it just to make sure a VOID marriage does not become an issue with our app) 3) the fact that we were only together for a year by the time she gets an interview.

It's funny how things creep up in your head the moment you start waiting for your NOA2. Ha ha!

Edited by tomkean28

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

As long as you can satisfied to CO about you guys have an ongoing relationship, and have good amount of solid proof for a good relationship, then everything should go be fine.

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

I'm a bit worried about those 3 factors. 1) Recent divorce 2) Recent annulment (I filed for it just to make sure a VOID marriage does not become an issue with our app) 3) the fact that we were only together for a year by the time she gets an interview.

I heard a story kinda similar to yours. They were denied because the CO isn't satisfied with the relationship. Too fast, too soon. Met in online in March 2010, became engaged the following month, seen each other in person Aug, the guy filed petition by September. They are still together, I heard they are taking CR-1 route.

See jameugiekaxavilon, story. Click here.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

I saw my fiancee 4 times in 7 months and we plan to spend the holidays together and hopefully be present at the day of her interview. We've only been together for 7 months now and I have a recent divorce and a recent annulment all of which took place this year.

It's funny how things creep up in your head the moment you start waiting for your NOA2. Ha ha!

if your previous marriages didn't involve K1 applications especially w/in the last two years prior to your recent application, then you should be ok (otherwise you might need to request a waiver through a letter). also make sure you didn't meet your recent fiancee while you were still technically married (divorce not yet final) as this has lately been a common problem encountered by a number of applicants (search for this last week's posts)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Timeline

if your previous marriages didn't involve K1 applications especially w/in the last two years prior to your recent application, then you should be ok (otherwise you might need to request a waiver through a letter). also make sure you didn't meet your recent fiancee while you were still technically married (divorce not yet final) as this has lately been a common problem encountered by a number of applicants (search for this last week's posts)

See now that's gonn abe an issue. I got the divorce ruling in March but did not get the decree in May, we met in April so yeah I guess i wasn't legally divorced yet when we met, then when We decided to go fil for a K1, I had a Null and Void marriage that was still hanging over my head so I filed for an Inavalidity of Marriage in July and got the annulment in September. That Annulment was from a relationship that ended in 2001 to a Filipina as well. I filed for an I-130 then that I did not pursue due to my ex being legally married when we did.

I have seen my fiancee 4 times so far since April, I'll see her again in December and probably a couple more times before her interview. We have travelled all over asia and all over the Philippines with itineraries and boarding passes to show for. In preparation for our nuptuals next year, we have hired a photograper to do pre-nuptual shoot for us so we should be able to present those in her interview as I have read that the CO would still ask her for photographs to show them.

I read the post about the whole being legally married while the couple met. It doesn't make sense to me why that would raise a flag or suspicion of fraud. It happens everyday. I'm not trying to justify, I'm just simply saying...

Edited by tomkean28

Timeline

Thanks for this post! Now I don't feel too bad about a short courtship and knowing I was in love on the second day. I pray you have favor and ample evidence to show CO.

Why should you feel bad about that? We were one of the lucky ones that knew it right away. Some people take years and some are still trying to convince themselves it'll get there. If relationships require tenure then what the point of falling in love right? Ok thats about as cheesy as I'll ever get.

See now that's gonn abe an issue. I got the divorce ruling in March but did not get the decree in May, we met in April so yeah I guess i wasn't legally divorced yet when we met, then when We decided to go fil for a K1, I had a Null and Void marriage that was still hanging over my head so I filed for an Inavalidity of Marriage in July and got the annulment in September. That Annulment was from a relationship that ended in 2001 to a Filipina as well. I filed for an I-130 then that I did not pursue due to my ex being legally married when we did.

I have seen my fiancee 4 times so far since April, I'll see her again in December and probably a couple more times before her interview. We have travelled all over asia and all over the Philippines with itineraries and boarding passes to show for. In preparation for our nuptuals next year, we have hired a photograper to do pre-nuptual shoot for us so we should be able to present those in her interview as I have read that the CO would still ask her for photographs to show them.

I read the post about the whole being legally married while the couple met. It doesn't make sense to me why that would raise a flag or suspicion of fraud. It happens everyday. I'm not trying to justify, I'm just simply saying...

i agree with you that it doesn't make sense at all, but i just had to tell you that so you know what crazy things uscis/nvc look at. to be on the safe and sure side, just say you met in june and gather your docs around that time, right? it's not a suspicion of fraud per se but the technicality of still being married and "right away"

just to be on the safe side (although your fiancee is not in a fraud hot country).

anyway, another thing is don't show and mention the pre-nup photos you have because as crazy it may sound COs are sensitive when it comes to phontos that hint of marriage rites and celebrations, trust me on that one. show "neutral" photos instead such as those trips you took and mix it too with photos of you and her family, ffriends, workmates =)

i say better safe than delayed and, worse, sorry =)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Timeline

i agree with you that it doesn't make sense at all, but i just had to tell you that so you know what crazy things uscis/nvc look at. to be on the safe and sure side, just say you met in june and gather your docs around that time, right? it's not a suspicion of fraud per se but the technicality of still being married and "right away"

just to be on the safe side (although your fiancee is not in a fraud hot country).

anyway, another thing is don't show and mention the pre-nup photos you have because as crazy it may sound COs are sensitive when it comes to phontos that hint of marriage rites and celebrations, trust me on that one. show "neutral" photos instead such as those trips you took and mix it too with photos of you and her family, ffriends, workmates =)

i say better safe than delayed and, worse, sorry =)

Thanx for the tip. I'll surely watch out for it. I already put in a brief history of our meeting and relationship on the supplemental answer to question 18. I just hope the fact that we have seen each other 6 times by the time she gets an interview will disregard that that slight technicality. I mean, it's not easy to travel to the other side of the planet just so you could spend a few days together and not to mention the cost associated with it.

Frustration is really setting in! I wonder if we should just get married now and file a CR-1 instead as opposed to waiting 6 months or so to find out the USCIS have an issue with how and when we met.

Timeline

I have heard of no issues for philippines with knowing each other while the annulment takes place. I dont see a problem with that part of your situation or mine. There is one on Nigeria with that problem but each country has their own laws on that.

Edited by Jim N Augie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

lol@feeling cheesy. Thanks for the optimism. I got a little worried today when I read that a short courtship could be a red flag, but fortunately that dissipated when I thought of the countless hours of messenger conversations and phone logs.

Maybe Zenden can provide specific examples of this being an issue in the Philippines. It wasn't an issue at all for me nor was it ever brought up

by the CO during the interview. This is solely based on my experience.

- i was separated Oct 2009

- decided I would file for divorce Apr 2010 after much soul searching

- met Patty May 23, 2010

- filed for divorce July 2010

- met Patty in person Oct 2010

- divorce became final Mar 23, 2011

- filed for I-129F April 1, 2011

- Patty has now been here in California with me since Sept 2, 2011

You've met one of the primary requirements of the I-12F which is having met in person within the last 2 years. Now, you're both gathering and

saving as much evidence/documents to use as proof of a genuine relationship. It seems you have all this covered including the affidavit of

support (I-134) requirement. so, I don't see any issues with your situation. The worst thing you can do is to change your story and/or tweak

the dates to give it an appearance that you met after finality of your divorce especially since you already divulge this information on the I-129F.

You should be fine and good luck!

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

Timeline

Maybe Zenden can provide specific examples of this being an issue in the Philippines. It wasn't an issue at all for me nor was it ever brought up

by the CO during the interview. This is solely based on my experience.

- i was separated Oct 2009

- decided I would file for divorce Apr 2010 after much soul searching

- met Patty May 23, 2010

- filed for divorce July 2010

- met Patty in person Oct 2010

- divorce became final Mar 23, 2011

- filed for I-129F April 1, 2011

- Patty has now been here in California with me since Sept 2, 2011

You've met one of the primary requirements of the I-12F which is having met in person within the last 2 years. Now, you're both gathering and

saving as much evidence/documents to use as proof of a genuine relationship. It seems you have all this covered including the affidavit of

support (I-134) requirement. so, I don't see any issues with your situation. The worst thing you can do is to change your story and/or tweak

the dates to give it an appearance that you met after finality of your divorce especially since you already divulge this information on the I-129F.

You should be fine and good luck!

:thumbs: Glad to hear a good 2nd opinion and actual experience. I think he is talking about the nigerian post but thats from today, seems to have everyone spooked.

Edited by Jim N Augie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.