NYCityGirl

Is there a US consulate in Calgary?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Being from Edmonton- you'll go through Vancouver. Which is good! Vancouver is known to be faster than Montreal. If you were doing a CR1 Visa- Montreal is the only Consulate that handles those.

When you reveive your packet 4, that will be the time and date of your Interview. They book it for you.

Edited by Stacey33

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Being from Edmonton- you'll go through Vancouver. Which is good! Vancouver is known to be faster than Montreal. If you were doing a CR1 Visa- Montreal is the only Consulate that handles those.

When you reveive your packet 4, that will be the time and date of your Interview. They book it for you.

vancouver is definitely better for me, plus my uncle lives in abbotsford so i shouldn't have to worry about paying for accomodations, just the airfare and getting to/from the consulate... still rules out a day trip like i'd hoped for.

does anyone know how long the wait generally is from the time you get your third packet from the consulate (to get your medical, etc) to the actual interview date?

i just thought of this too... is it a problem that on our application we indicated that calgary was my local consulate? or will they just automatically forward everything to vancouver?

thanks in advance :)

First contact: Oct 14/06

First meeting: Nov 6-13/06

Engaged: Dec 29/06

Moved to US: June 28/07

Married: July 14/07

Timeline

Vancouver schedules about 1 month from receiving your checklist (send it back right away) to your interview date. Give or take a week.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

1. does anyone know if you can choose which consulate you would like to do your interview at? or is it decided for you?
  2. also, and in my reading i haven't come across a clear answer to this, do you set up your own appointment once you've received the package from the consulate, or do they set it up for you?
  3. what's the usual timeframe from when you get your package to the interview date?

1. It's decided for you, based on which of the two (Montreal or Vancouver) is closer
  2. decided for you--the state department decides when to allot a visa number (for CR-1 or DCF)
  3. generally within 90 days of Packet-3

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
... but i thought since Calgary has an embassy, that i could do my interview there :(

does anyone know if you can choose which consulate you would like to do your interview at? or is it decided for you?

Canada has only one US Embassy and it is located in Ottawa.....

You can select the consulate location of choice for your interview on the I-129F

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
... but i thought since Calgary has an embassy, that i could do my interview there :(

does anyone know if you can choose which consulate you would like to do your interview at? or is it decided for you?

You can select the consulate location of choice for your interview on the I-129F

PLEASE disregard the above post!! Vancouver or MTL Consulates do K1, and K3 (based on where u live in Canada, but you can ask to be transferred to either! Of course they can say no,lol). For CR-1 or IR-1, only Montreal does them!!

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

PLEASE disregard the above post!! Vancouver or MTL Consulates do K1, and K3 (based on where u live in Canada, but you can ask to be transferred to either! Of course they can say no,lol). For CR-1 or IR-1, only Montreal does them!!

What is wrong with my post... It is a fact that Canada has only one Embassy (as is the case with any country)... It has however many Consulates...

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes there is only 1 embassy, BUT the interview info u gave was incorrect. One just cant pick ANY consulate in Canada, only the two I mentioned do the interviews

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Yes there is only 1 embassy, BUT the interview info u gave was incorrect. One just cant pick ANY consulate in Canada, only the two I mentioned do the interviews

First of all I didn't say ANY consulate... But in fact you can select ANY consulate, you just won't be awarded that consulate if it does not do interviews. It would be better if you select the consulate of your choice that does interviews (ie... VAN or MTL). You read more than what was there...

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline
Since we are on the subject- what is the difference between an Embassy and a Consulate??

A permanent diplomatic mission of one country present in another country to represent the intersts of foreign country in the host country is known as an embassy. The term "embassy" is often used to refer to the building or compound housing an ambassador's offices and staff (though technically not correct).

Consular sections (a department within the diplomatic mission if you will) are responsible for assisting and protecting overseas citizens in distress, processing visa applications, and issuing and renewing passports

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Embasy- a body of diplomatic representatives; specifically : one headed by an ambassador

Consulate - consul's office: a consul's office or official residence

Def of Consul - government official working abroad: a government official living in a foreign city to promote the commercial interests of the official's own state and protect its citizens

Looks like it's seniority. Ambassador is the highest ranking official. Normal joe bloke gov officials work in consulates.

That's what i can tell from M-W.com :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

I phoned the Canadian Consulate once when I was in Cuba. A really drunk tourist who was also at the same hotel threatened to slit my throat.

I found out the next day after his run in with me- he went down to the pool, sat in some girls lap and made advances and her big Canadian boyfriend beat the ####### out of him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.