MPGGPM

What is the latest anyone has visted the USA during the Cr-1 process?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I visted the USA from Canada every month during the process and never had a problem. There doesnt seem to be an exact standard. Some are successfull, some are not. Seems to depend on which Immigration guy interviews you. Probablly also depends on how one conducts them self. If your all nervous, not sounding sure on ur responses, somthing may think that ur up to no good!! I travelled monthly, and if I had to do it agian, I would stil head to the USA. Just have a back up plan in case it doesnt go as planned

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I visted the USA from Canada every month during the process and never had a problem. There doesnt seem to be an exact standard. Some are successfull, some are not. Seems to depend on which Immigration guy interviews you. Probablly also depends on how one conducts them self. If your all nervous, not sounding sure on ur responses, somthing may think that ur up to no good!! I travelled monthly, and if I had to do it agian, I would stil head to the USA. Just have a back up plan in case it doesnt go as planned

Hi flames, your post is encouraging! Can you precise a bit more? for example: did you tell them your case is pending, and on which case? (type of visa) and in which phase of that specific case, (noa1, noa2??).

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Timeline

I told them nothing!!! lol They would ask if I was there for business or pleasure, I would state pleasure. Would state I was to visit my wife and would return on so a so date. Most of my travels were for 3-5 days, longest was 3.5 weeks (summer holidays) Never packed heavy, just 1 suitcase. Never had to show prrof of ties to canada, but I had them with me. Answer their questions honestly, but dont add to them if you know what I mean. My Poes were Normally Boston or Newark airports (flew out of Halifax) Again depends on the POE official, some can be real tough, others I talked baseball playoffs with, lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I told them nothing!!! lol They would ask if I was there for business or pleasure, I would state pleasure. Would state I was to visit my wife and would return on so a so date. Most of my travels were for 3-5 days, longest was 3.5 weeks (summer holidays) Never packed heavy, just 1 suitcase. Never had to show prrof of ties to canada, but I had them with me. Answer their questions honestly, but dont add to them if you know what I mean. My Poes were Normally Boston or Newark airports (flew out of Halifax) Again depends on the POE official, some can be real tough, others I talked baseball playoffs with, lol

Thanks, it's greatly appreciated! I understand also that much on this journey relates to the attitude we have!

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

NVC :

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

Timeline

I travel to the US every couple of months, and my stay is almost always 8 weeks. My father always drives me, and we usually cross at the kingston-lewiston bridge in buffalo. Only 1 time i had a hard time with customs. Made us pull over and go inside. Basically I showed them all my paperwork i had at the time, and they looked up info on their computer, and gave me the go ahead. Actually the woman guard I dealt with inside was very helpful in letting me know what needed to get done next. They also wanted to see my flight itinerary, i guess making sure i was gonna fly back. The next time i came across, I had no problem whatsoever, all he wanted to see was my passport, and told me to have a nice trip. I guess I am not as far along in the process as you, as i dont have an interview yet.

In short, i dont think you should worry. As long as she has all of the case documents to show as proof, she wont have a problem.HTH and good luck, I hope to be going to the US in november to see my hubby (L)

Edited by shann76

May 23 2007 IS OUR INTERVIEW, PLEASE PRAY FOR US!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

It wasn't so much a question of whether a person 'could" travel and visit the USA. That question has been asked (and answered ) plenty of times. The concern was whether in the later stages of the process, if because the authorities at the POE will see that a person is so close to become a resident , that they will "tighten" up and be more strict with a person nearing the ending stages of adjustment, than they would with a person who's just starting the visa process.

When I saw that story from girl37, I started to wonder if there would be a difference. Unfortunately for her, she just ended up apparently meeting the wrong person at the wrong time, and was turned away. For whatever reason........I guess we'll never know. (since there's not much consistancy to this process, and just a few weeks previously, she entered with no problems). They didn't seem too concerned about her case approval "then".

I tend to agree a lot with what "Flames9" said . I think a lot has to do with to do with how a person presents themselves and how nervous/suspicious they look. If you come into the USA looking like that guy in "Midnight Express", you're probably going get a lot more scrutiny and questions asked. As opposed to if you come in calm and relaxed. It's not the only reason, but it must help. It's a good thing for us that it is my wife who is doing the traveling and not me. (I'd probably not handle myself as well as her, get paranoid and nervous,...and end up looking like I'm the guy carrying the "hashish" around his waist ). :blink:

I also, whether justified or not, make it a point of not having my wife enter POE's that go through Atlanta, or Detroit. Fair or not...I've read too many horror stories on this website about them, to take any chances.

But , I guess the most important thing, from the info on this thread, even traveling so late into the process, will not affect the ability to enter, and the odds/chances seem to be the same as when someone comes in earlier in the process.

Besides, it'll be the holiday's when she comes back....I mean....even the people at the POE have GOT to have a heart THEN....right? :thumbs:

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

I'm normally pretty cool when I go through immigration... :lol: It was only a weekend visit, so it wasn't a big deal to get turned back.

I'll ask about the policy at my interview next week. Maybe they'll be able to provide us with some insight. :)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We were told that it was possible, but it would have to be for a good reason, that the special visa would take a while to process, and that it would delay the petition for an immigrant visa.

Why did your husband need a special visa?

How would it delay your petition, either. Your petition was filed in London, right?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
;) I don´t look like a guy at the "Midnight Express"!!!!! And I was travelling with my husband in tow....I told the immigration lady I was there visiting him while the visa process was going on. She didn´t care.

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

Timeline
It wasn't so much a question of whether a person 'could" travel and visit the USA. That question has been asked (and answered ) plenty of times. The concern was whether in the later stages of the process, if because the authorities at the POE will see that a person is so close to become a resident , that they will "tighten" up and be more strict with a person nearing the ending stages of adjustment, than they would with a person who's just starting the visa process.

When I saw that story from girl37, I started to wonder if there would be a difference. Unfortunately for her, she just ended up apparently meeting the wrong person at the wrong time, and was turned away. For whatever reason........I guess we'll never know. (since there's not much consistancy to this process, and just a few weeks previously, she entered with no problems). They didn't seem too concerned about her case approval "then".

I tend to agree a lot with what "Flames9" said . I think a lot has to do with to do with how a person presents themselves and how nervous/suspicious they look. If you come into the USA looking like that guy in "Midnight Express", you're probably going get a lot more scrutiny and questions asked. As opposed to if you come in calm and relaxed. It's not the only reason, but it must help. It's a good thing for us that it is my wife who is doing the traveling and not me. (I'd probably not handle myself as well as her, get paranoid and nervous,...and end up looking like I'm the guy carrying the "hashish" around his waist ). :blink:

I also, whether justified or not, make it a point of not having my wife enter POE's that go through Atlanta, or Detroit. Fair or not...I've read too many horror stories on this website about them, to take any chances.

But , I guess the most important thing, from the info on this thread, even traveling so late into the process, will not affect the ability to enter, and the odds/chances seem to be the same as when someone comes in earlier in the process.

Besides, it'll be the holiday's when she comes back....I mean....even the people at the POE have GOT to have a heart THEN....right? :thumbs:

Ok, so i'll rephrase it more precisely with the paperwork involved in it (to try if possible to identify/deconstruct) : could travel, but at the later phase, means to me, once NOA2 in hand, and before the interview, as a specific bracket of the status.

And this, if they are asked more specific questions at the POE (flames has not been asked i think), related to that level of process. In my opinion, with the NOA2, means i think immigrant status, but, not yet the visa in hand; if refused at the border, meant for that officer who didn't accept girl37 she needed another visa (visitor). I think he exagerated a bit (the question here being why). Why, specifically because I lawyer told me that when the case is in process, the exact name of that status is called "toling" (and not out of status or something like that, many maybe do not know that) I think that now, at the light of girl37's experience, this is what i would have told that officer.

If i'm wrong, then I would try to understand his logic..or at least ask him if he new what "toling" means.

Another strong argument also would be that just visiting before the interview the US, means the person who visits does not want to geopardize the proceedure and has to come back, of course. hm!!!...

So, in this perspective, the officer's attitude or saying, still remains to me a mystery...but, if they are suspicious then, that means i have to ask those who have been refused at the border, who can try to explain, what they think about this...

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

NVC :

In USA:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

There is NO law that says how often a person can travel during this process, or how late into it. I personally think Girl37 got a raw deal. I mean, isn't the purpose of the people at the customs and border patrol to try and stop someone they "suspect" of having the desire to remain in the USA? Not only is this process arbitrary and so therefore subject to any individual's interpretation, but it also is apparently contaradictory in it's nature.

That person at the port authority who stopped this woman, basically "admitted" that he knew she would not remain in the USA (By admiting he knew she had an "approved K-3 and Cr-1 case"). It is NOT his job (at least in my opinion and understanding of this process) to deny people he knows perfectly well will NOT remain in the USA. He knew perfectly well that this woman was just a month or 2 from her interview, and the odds of her staying were slim to none, and yet.....rather than do his job and try to find a person who he felt "would" remain in the USA, he instead decided to take the law into his own hands, interpret the law (because it is so vague) whichever way he felt he wanted to, and basically prevented a woman from entering the USA whom he KNEW would probably not stay. The odds of her remaining...with an interview in a month or two.......were slim to none. And yet he denied her. Why?

If there is an unwritten law that a person can only visit so often......which I was once told by phone by a woman who worked for the US Customs and Border Patrol, then make it a LAW. Stop making things so vague that people have no idea what they can or can not do, and then spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a trip, only to find at the last minute that they can not get in. Put it in writing!

And I blame that border patrol a LOT. From my understanding, it is his job to prevent those whom he suspects of immigrating into the USA from entering. Instead, he decided...on his own....to extend the law...and prevent a woman whom he knew would most likely not remain...(let's face it..with a month or so until her interview...it's DUH...common sense that she would not).

It ...in my opinion was not right.....as much of this process isn't.......

I also don't like the fact that someone (like my wife) needs to bring a load of documents etc to try and "prove" she will not remain etc...(although they have never asked her for any)......and yet, on their part, the border patrol can send someone back on just a "whim". What evidence did they have to send Girl37 back? (He knew she would not remain...so why send her back...based on what?) And if it was because of her having a Cr-1 and K-3 almost done.....there is NO law I know of that says one can not enter the USA when they are nearing completetion of the process.

This process is so arbitrary and unfair.

The law can be interpreted by those at the border ANY which way they wish...appparently.

I just think they need to set a standard..and some guidelines.....so the rest of us will know just what the law really is.

Right now, it just seems as though there is no real law on this....and it's up to whomever they happen to stick at the border.....whether that person is competent or qualified....or whether he's not. He just has the badge. I guess that's all he needs.

Edited by MPGGPM

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
He just has the badge. I guess that's all he needs.

Awesome post, M.

I'd add that I agree with you about rules/guidelines/laws regarding this matter--there really aren't any. The only compelling argument I ever read was posted by immigration attorney Udall way back when where he reminded us that once the case is at the Consulate and their security checks begin, any international travel from that point forward could *delay* the case by causing new security checks to be run.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

He just has the badge. I guess that's all he needs.

Awesome post, M.

I'd add that I agree with you about rules/guidelines/laws regarding this matter--there really aren't any. The only compelling argument I ever read was posted by immigration attorney Udall way back when where he reminded us that once the case is at the Consulate and their security checks begin, any international travel from that point forward could *delay* the case by causing new security checks to be run.

Yes, that's much more clear. But they do Sec. checks at all levels: USCIS, NVC, and Consulate...I assume then, that they can not tell us that, which is understable. But, i have a but, what about others like flame for ex who have not been said anything. Many others whom passport is screened also..Maybe they are or they have to do it at random. I don't have any other explanation.

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

NVC :

In USA:

Well, I just got my K3 visa today and took the opportunity to ask the interviewer what was up with my being denied entry a couple of weeks ago. He reminded me that a person who's trying to enter the US needs to convince the officer that they aren't intending to immigrate during that visit, but in my case the officer must've been confused by seeing "approved" on the NOAs 2, and didn't know what to do, so he denied me. :wacko: The interviewer actually shook his head and rolled his eyes when I asked about it. Also, he confirmed that the K3 is multiple entry, and it's ok to return to Montreal get the CR-1. (haha, apparently we all know that, but "butthead" didn't.) ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.