Kevin10

International Marriage Broker question

21 posts in this topic

The bulk of the new law, is to put an added burden on the "IMB" to provide background info on a potential eMail mate. Once this info is passed along, I think the "threat" or stigma of the IMB is largely expired. But only time will tell as us post IMBRA folks make it to the interview.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I met my future spouse on www.amigos.com. Is this considered a marriage broker? What does it mean if I answer ‘yes’ to this question?

If you paid $$ for her contact information (address, email, telephone#, etc), then AMIGOS is a "marriage broker" under IMBRA laws.

Answer "YES", give their address, telephone#, sign and date the form and return your RFE.

Not necessarily, Joey. Check the exceptions provided in the law.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I met my future spouse on www.amigos.com. Is this considered a marriage broker? What does it mean if I answer ‘yes’ to this question?

I took a little bit different tac, and included the following attachment to my IMBRA RFE. So I'm not sure I answered yes or no, but no further questions were asked, and we were approved.

############################################

United States Department of Homeland Security

U. S. citizenship and Immigration Services

Supplemental Questions to I-129F

Response to Question #1

Q. Did you meet your fiance or spouse through the services of an international marriage broker?

A. Evelyn and I met online through the services of WXY&Z. WXY&Z provided a place where we could post our respective profiles, and send introductory emails to one another. After reading Evelyn's profile, I contacted her via email (not her personal email, but through the email provided by WXY&Z) and, after she read my profile as well, we began corresponding. Neither WXY&Z, nor anyone else, introduced us or matched us in any way. WXY&Z simply provided the means for us to make the initial contact.

The following are the mailing addresses for WXY&Z.

Yada-Yada-Yada . . . .

Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Sincerely,

October 1, 2005 . . . . Evelyn and I met online

March 8, 2006 . . . . Traveled to Phils for first face-2-face . . . Oh, my god! . . . Wow!!!

March 21, 2006 . . . . I-129F Packet Sent

March 30, 2006 . . . . NOA1 Received

May 25, 2006 . . . . Traveled to Phils for Evelyn's June 1st Bday

June 1, 2006 . . . . Application transferred from Lincoln, NE to California

July 5, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Request Received

July 6, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Information Sent

July 13, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Information Received Ack from USCIS

September 11, 2006 . . . . Email from USCIS - CASE APPROVED !!!!!!

September 15, 2006 . . . . Third trip to Phils . . . dragged kicking and screaming to my flight home

September 16, 2006 . . . . NOA2 Received !!!

October 16 . . . . NVC received packet

October 17 . . . NVC forwards packet to Manila

October 23 . . . Manila receives Visa packet

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I answered no and followed your tac as well. I guess it places the burden on USCIS this way. I think as long as you are truthful about your answer and you state that you are answering to the best of your ability it will be fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee and I met thru Cherry Blossoms. He paid $25 every month as a member so he could correspond with me. I didn't pay anything though. Do you think CB is an IMB? When my fiancee asked them about this matter, a personnel from CB denied being an IMB and advised us to say "NO" on that particular question. What do you think guys? We don't give a $3@% if we have to say "YES" because there's nothing to be scared of it. But do you think problems will arise if we will follow their advise? Enlighten me please!

I love you more than all the stars in the sky.

I love you more as each moment passes us by.

I love you more with every breath I take.

I love you more with each promise we make.

- MAE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
My fiancee and I met thru Cherry Blossoms. He paid $25 every month as a member so he could correspond with me. I didn't pay anything though. Do you think CB is an IMB? When my fiancee asked them about this matter, a personnel from CB denied being an IMB and advised us to say "NO" on that particular question. What do you think guys? We don't give a $3@% if we have to say "YES" because there's nothing to be scared of it. But do you think problems will arise if we will follow their advise? Enlighten me please!

That is the million dollar question. No one really knows. The topic has been beaten to death and you will find different answers to your question. While CB may say they are not a marriage broker, it is still up to USCIS to determine that. To date, there has been one person who replied yes to this question and got approved at the embassy that I know of and and were not even questioned. You could just answer no to the question and attach a letter stating why you dont think it is a marriage broker using the response from CB as the basis for your answer. That way you are being truthful about your answer and are leaving it to USCIS to determine otherwise. I think from the numerous approvals coming from USCIS it seems pretty clear to me that answering yes to this question is not a basis for denying a petition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.