81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

When what you've done is effectively a character assasination of anyone who adjusted from tourist status without even understanding why so many do - and refusing to listen to those who would tell you - Homesick, yes, you're going to get a narky response.

It has nothing to do with maturity and a lot to do with the way that you chose to conduct yourself in this thread.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
When what you've done is effectively a character assasination of anyone who adjusted from tourist status without even understanding why so many do - and refusing to listen to those who would tell you - Homesick, yes, you're going to get a narky response.

It has nothing to do with maturity and a lot to do with the way that you chose to conduct yourself in this thread.

Recalling the contents of some of your other posts, you really have no right to be high and mighty with me.

Oh, and guess what...I get to have opinions, even when you think I'm wrong...even when you think I'm being 'narky,' whatever that is, and it isn't my problem if you choose to take it personally. It's yours.

I don't like that immigrants can adjust their statuses on tourist visas becuase it makes the system far too easy to abuse. The US immigration system is abused enough, which is why everything takes so goddamn long...people are trying to cheat the system. I think a lot of people abuse the AOS so they don't have to go through the inconvenience of getting a K-1. "Oooh, but it's hard. Oooh, but it's a long wait. Oooh, I don't want to be apart from my sweetie." Well, guess what? It's not like I haven't been there before. I lived 4,000 miles from the man who is now my husband from 1997 until 2001, so I've been there and done that. We still never considered doing things that way.

In the future TRY not to take things so personally. It's not all about you.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline
Recalling the contents of some of your other posts, you really have no right to be high and mighty with me.

Please feel free to share with me which posts of mine you feel give you the right to make that comment; I'd really love to know....

Yes, people abuse being able to do AOS from tourist status. Here's news - people also abuse K1's. Student visas get abused, J visas get abused, B visas get abused. However - contrary to your belief - most people who undergo the AOS process from tourist status genuinely had no idea that they could. Sometimes they marry and then ask for advice, sometimes they actually file for a K1 and ask for advice (which is what my husband and I did, incidentally, upon which our local DO actually told us "not to be so stupid - she's here, get married"). Maybe your beef should be with the lawyers who are so quick to suggest it, and with the USCIS.

You may not like that people are able to do it, but whilst it is a legal option, you do not have the right to suggest that everyone who goes through that process is devoid of any morals and came through the POE laughing with glee at the idea of cheating the USCIS and all of the other waiting petitioners. And while it is a legal option, we should be fair and provide the same level information to people who are in a position to do it (ie. already in the US, got married, now don't know what to do) as we would to s newbie to the K1, K3 or CR/IR-1 processes.

narky

adj

narkier, narkiest

1. colloq

Irritable.

http://www.allwords.com/word-narkiest.html

Edited by ChristinaM

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
narky

adj

narkier, narkiest

1. colloq

Irritable.

http://www.allwords.com/word-narkiest.html

hunh. I'd thought typo. Canadian mum taught it to me as "snarky". And yeah, I *did* hear that a lot over the years.... <g>

Still looking for a UK-acceptable translation of the US "crabby" and/or "cranky" (they do not mean dirty or crazy--it's something like grumpy, but more so)

PS: C, I was so proud for not responding before, darn you.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

"Crabby" and "Cranky" go both ways, I think - "Cranky" being the more American of the two....

What's the US translation of "Whinge"/"Whingy"?

Timeline
"Crabby" and "Cranky" go both ways, I think - "Cranky" being the more American of the two....

What's the US translation of "Whinge"/"Whingy"?

hmm, never could get anyone to understand the American version of crabby or cranky--I probably shouldn't be either of them & problem solved!

US translation of Whinge/Whingy = Whine/British :devil:

I guess Whinge could also = piss & moan, complain etc. Or as we used to say in the trade, 'would you like some cheese with that whine?'. :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

OMG..... looks like my marriage is doomed and I am going to get my greencard revoked and then USCIS is going to come and pick me up and put me on the first plane home to the UK...... Why?

Because I followed USCIS guidelines and got married and remained after entering on a VWP.....

OMG I am also now a lier and a cheat and all other sorts of nasty names....

Our AOS interviewer must have been having a bad day when she welcomed me to the USA and approved my Greencard..... maybe you would have been happier if she had me dragged off to the airport and deported on the spot....

My children and grandchildren do not have any issues with the method that I got my greencard and I think that I have done all the growing up I am ever likely to do....

So to finish..... there is no hope for me.....

Kezzie

Timeline
So to finish..... there is no hope for me.....

<g> And welcome home to you, too. :)

Nevermind homesick. She's appeared to be a bit confused. What *was* that movie.. "Doooomed, we're dooooooomed!?

heheh.. imdb.com has so many good doomed quotes!

My Little Pony: The Movie (1986)

Hydia: Gorgeous! Ponyland is turning dark, dank, and dreary! The little ponies are doomed!

Or the more appropriate:

On the Beach (1959)

Julian Osborne: We're all doomed, you know. The whole, silly, drunken, pathetic lot of us.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline
My Little Pony: The Movie (1986)

Hydia: Gorgeous! Ponyland is turning dark, dank, and dreary! The little ponies are doomed!

Or the more appropriate:

On the Beach (1959)

Julian Osborne: We're all doomed, you know. The whole, silly, drunken, pathetic lot of us.

Thanks for the best laugh I've had for quite a while.

:lol:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
From reading through some of the more harsh replies to the idea of AOS via a tourist visa, I can't help feeling that there is a somewhat subjective air about them. Instead of 'good for you, I wish I'd done it that way' it seems to be more 'As I have to be apart from my spouse/fiance therefore so should you, and if I cannot make you do that then I'll call you all liars, freeloaders, lazy, illegal, etc'.

I tottaly agree with you 'pucklechurch'.

06 December 2005 - entered US on tourist visa

08 February 2006 - got married

06 March 2006 - 15 March 2006 - medical exam done

15 March 2006 - I-485 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

21 March 2006 - USCIS received papers

24 March 2006 - notice date for I-130,I-485,I-765 (28 March 2006 - received NOA for I-130,I-485,I-765)

01 April 2006 - I-130, I-485, I-765 touched

06 April 2006 - Notice date for biometrics appointment (received on 13 April 2006)

29 April 2006 - Biometrics done

06 May 2006 - I-765, I-145 touched

08 May 2006 - I-765, I-130 touched

03 June 2006 - I-765 touched

06 June 2006 - Interview letter arrived

07 June 2006 - e-mail received: EAD approved !!!

09 June 2006 - EAD card received in mail

12 June 2006 - applied for SSN

26 June 2006 - SSN arrived

25 July 2006 - Interview

APPROVED!!!

31 July 2006 - Welcome Notice arrived

4 August 2006 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED !!!!

I am back!!!

30 April 2008 - sent out form I-751 to remove conditional residence

12 May 2008 - extention letter arrived

.png

A victim of what?????

I have my greencard.... I am with the man I love... I am happy....

So what makes me a victim?

Kezzie

I'm glad; I hope it all works out for you, but the odds are the same for you as they are for the rest of us: 50%.

Good luck.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

A victim of what?????

I have my greencard.... I am with the man I love... I am happy....

So what makes me a victim?

Kezzie

I'm glad; I hope it all works out for you, but the odds are the same for you as they are for the rest of us: 50%.

Good luck.

I think you might have misread Kezzie's post. She has already been approved. There aren't any odds that she needs to be concerned about nor anything to work out. She already has her GC. As far as I know it cannot be revoked. What odds are you referring to?

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.