one...two...tree

Pres. Clinton Answers Charges That He Didn't Do Enough To Capture Bin Laden...

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't think any of the presidents (at least since I've been alive) have been of a particularly high standard.

Clinton jumps out as being a 'basically nice guy', but that doesn't excuse some rather poor decisions made during his term of office, of which the Monica Lewinsky affair was simply trivial. Its not like the guy had his finger on the Doomsday button while she was under the table. :lol:

how do you know that, were you there? he might have had it resting on the top of monica's head :lol:

I mean I don't think the issue is really worth bringing up, when there are other "policy-related" issues that Clinton can be criticised on - but the BJ is always the most prominent thing. Slamming him solely for lying under oath about a personal issue seems about as sordid as the original act. IMO.

so lying under oath about that is ok then?

No. But if you're criticising the guy's record - picking on a sexual infidelity is rather cheap IMO - a means of avoiding having to come up with a decent argument about his performance. Its not like there aren't things to criticise him on related to his actual performance in the job.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't think any of the presidents (at least since I've been alive) have been of a particularly high standard.

Clinton jumps out as being a 'basically nice guy', but that doesn't excuse some rather poor decisions made during his term of office, of which the Monica Lewinsky affair was simply trivial. Its not like the guy had his finger on the Doomsday button while she was under the table. :lol:

how do you know that, were you there? he might have had it resting on the top of monica's head :lol:

I mean I don't think the issue is really worth bringing up, when there are other "policy-related" issues that Clinton can be criticised on - but the BJ is always the most prominent thing. Slamming him solely for lying under oath about a personal issue seems about as sordid as the original act. IMO.

No. But if you're criticising the guy's record - picking on a sexual infidelity is rather cheap IMO - a means of avoiding having to come up with a decent argument about his performance. Its not like there aren't things to criticise him on related to his actual performance in the job.

oh ok. once we forget all about lying under oath then he must be ok!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

If you say so - that's not what "I" said.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

quit wiggling and get on the hook

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

quit wiggling and get on the hook

I think you're fishing in the wrong river ;)

I said its cheap to criticise the guy for something that has nothing to do with his actual record of performance when there are many other (related) issues that he should be criticised for - but apparently people's memories on go as far as a blue dress. In fact, it could be suggested that such reliance weakens the other "more relevant" arguments.

Filed: Timeline

If Bush had some chick servicing him in the oval office and lied about it, I would loathe him too. It says a lot about your character when you would not only let that happen, but then LIE about it to the nation. Clinton is a scumbag.

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

Timeline
If Bush had some chick servicing him in the oval office and lied about it, I would loathe him too. It says a lot about your character when you would not only let that happen, but then LIE about it to the nation. Clinton is a scumbag.

Miss... the.... point....

Handling of economy - important

Stance on moral issues - important

Sordid sex with intern / secretary - odious but arguably irrelevant.

Again this seems to be an issue of presentation rather than having to put together an actual criticism of Clinton's record in government. It is, I suspect, because people are too lazy to come up with an argument, and so settle for smut.

Filed: Timeline
It says a lot about your character when you would not only let that happen, but then LIE about it to the nation.

Bush is lying to the nation daily. Not about a ####### but about a war and the reason for tens of thousands of lost lives. I don't know, I'd rather he get himself a ####### or two. ;)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Wait wait wait....people still take what Clinton says as truth??? :blink:

We all know Clinton was too busy golfing to catch terrorists.

I'd still believe Clinton over BUSH any faking day. BUSH is corrupt. Clinton was just foolish enough to get his #######-out not such a #######-up really.

And was BUSH not cowering in some deep underground bunker post 9/11 to make an appearance in NY for nearly a week?? Bush ain't trying to catch Terrorists really he's trying to mess the middle-east up for good. Then China will take over the dominator game. He's stirred up the world big time :help: .

My my aren't you one opinionated individual. Did you sit over in the UK your whole life pondering politics in the US, and then take a special interest in the Clinton and Bush presidencies to form these totally unsubstantiated notions of yours? I just find it a little hard to swallow when someone moves here (or is trying to immigrate) to the US and then starts to bash it relentlessly. I certainly don't go to someone elses country and slam it, and I don't appreciate it when someone from another countrly does it to the US.

:thumbs: everybody wants to slam the usa but they all want to live here

LOL, I've noticed that too. I know a guy who has lived in the US on various visas since 1978. His kids grew up in the USA and are basically as American as apple pie. ALL HE DOES is ###### and bash the USA. When I told him I was coming back to America (he's English and I live in England) he basically begged me not to return. Yeah, fat chance. He says he's 'thought' about going back to England, but he thinks it would be worse there than it is in the US (true). I tell him not to bite the hand that feeds him, since he could never have been as successful in the UK as he has been in the USA, but all he wants to do is praise Queen and Country but refuses to actually endure the hardships of life in the UK. He's full of ######.

OK where the hell do I slag off the USA??? George Bush oh yeah I go for him. But where do I bash the US? George Bush is one tyrannical American not the whole freaking nation. I loathe George Bush, yeah OK, so does every American I have met. They can't believe he was ever voted in the first time let alone twice, they are ashamed of him on many levels.

As for the sitting in the UK pondering US politics. We get international news broadcasts over here, America has a big say in the world. You want me to go back to Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan...... I will, just thought I'd keep to recent history and on topic kinda.

... can't any immigrant have an opinion?? Without the whole flag waving fraternity of VJ jumping down my throat saying shut up or don't come here?? Do I have to kiss Fundamentalist Christian Right Wing ####### forever when I go be with my American wife?

I have no problem with you coming over to the UK and slagging off the Queen (dim heartless tax sucker), Tony Blair (corrupt power crazy warmonger), Princess Diana (publicity seeking neurotic corpse), the weather, the pollution, the accent, our rudeness, the overcrowding, whatever, take your pick, We really don't care. Us Brits really love a good moan about these things we will join in and laugh heartily. ...and'll say please come back and do it again.

Can I have a list of things to bite my tongue about when living in the US - I'd really hate to come across as being opinionated or ungrateful.

Thankyou sir for letting me be here. ...doffs cap, bows & scrapes,

UK-Royal-Standard-HM-Queen.gif

Down With The Monarchy

It says a lot about your character when you would not only let that happen, but then LIE about it to the nation.

Bush is lying to the nation daily. Not about a ####### but about a war and the reason for tens of thousands of lost lives. I don't know, I'd rather he get himself a ####### or two. ;)

Oh but certain member like to mention that Clinton lied under "oath"...

To which I say Poppyc#ck! Did you big Bush fans forget about this oath?

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

You know, the Constitution of the United States which W. is constantly whittle away at, being certain that he has supreme power without the "checks and balances" of the Congress and Supreme Court?

How about the Fourth Amendment vs. unwarranted wiretapping?

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
OK where the hell do I slag off the USA??? George Bush oh yeah I go for him. But where do I bash the US? George Bush is one tyrannical American not the whole freaking nation. I loathe George Bush, yeah OK, so does every American I have met. They can't believe he was ever voted in the first time let alone twice, they are ashamed of him on many levels.

As for the sitting in the UK pondering US politics. We get international news broadcasts over here, America has a big say in the world. You want me to go back to Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan...... I will, just thought I'd keep to recent history and on topic kinda.

... can't any immigrant have an opinion?? Without the whole flag waving fraternity of VJ jumping down my throat saying shut up or don't come here?? Do I have to kiss Fundamentalist Christian Right Wing ####### forever when I go be with my American wife?

I have no problem with you coming over to the UK and slagging off the Queen (dim heartless tax sucker), Tony Blair (corrupt power crazy warmonger), Princess Diana (publicity seeking neurotic corpse), the weather, the pollution, the accent, our rudeness, the overcrowding, whatever, take your pick, We really don't care. Us Brits really love a good moan about these things we will join in and laugh heartily. ...and'll say please come back and do it again.

Can I have a list of things to bite my tongue about when living in the US - I'd really hate to come across as being opinionated or ungrateful.

Thankyou sir for letting me be here. ...doffs cap, bows & scrapes,

I certainly can't speak for everyone, but attacking the President of the United States, or former Presidents, is essentially the same as attacking the U.S. itself. Though many Americans do the same thing, those Americans that didn't bother to go out and VOTE in the last election, aren't given any real credibility for their complaints. Unless you have voted either for, or against, the current President, you have no real say about what that President, or current administration does.

News flash... not everyone hates President Bush, or in your case, "loathes" him. Maybe if you toned down your rhetoric a wee bit, it wouldn't come across as being so abrasive. Though many Americans like to complain about our government, we don't take kindly to outsiders having a go at it as well.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline
I certainly can't speak for everyone, but attacking the President of the United States, or former Presidents, is essentially the same as attacking the U.S. itself.

I'm not sure that's true. There's a huge difference between attacking "the office" of the president and attacking the man himself. Many people confuse the one with the other.

Unless you have voted either for, or against, the current President, you have no real say about what that President, or current administration does.

Indeed you don't, but that's part of the sticking point for me. For one thing - the law says that everyone eligible to work must pay taxes, regardless of whether or not they have the right to vote. As the taxes of immigrants and indistinguishable from those of Citizens, how is it fair to suggest that tax paying immigrants don't have a right to be critical?

Edited by erekose

Timeline
Indeed you don't, but that's part of the sticking point for me. For one thing - the law says that everyone eligible to work must pay taxes, regardless of whether or not they have the right to vote. As the taxes of immigrants and indistinguishable from those of Citizens, how is it fair to suggest that tax paying immigrants don't have a right to be critical?

I think complaining about taxes, and the tax system, is a God given right, no mater who you are! :)

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline

I think complaining about taxes, and the tax system, is a God given right, no mater who you are! :)

True, but the tax system supports the government - and the government is impotent without tax revenue.

Timeline

True, but the tax system supports the government - and the government is impotent without tax revenue.

Are you saying that the IRS is a form of Viagra for the U.S. Government?!!! ;):lol:

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline