pedroh

k question to a real computer savvy person

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

i've checked the prices, i dont have to spend all the moneyz in the world.. but now, have some questions that i do find on google, but i dont understan jack about the benchmarkings.. lawl

i want my new pc for gaming mainly.. internet etc etc but gaming.. so i dunno if go with a Pentium Dual core, or the Athlon 64 x2 dual.. I was thinking going with the Athlon, they are cheaper, and they are famously known to kick ####### in gaming.. now.. the x2 has 2 motherboards, the socket 939 and the new AM2.. both barebones I found are the same price, so I dunno if getting the old socketand more available socket 939, or just jump to the AM2..

thats the main issue there..

thx and hope someone can answer :thumbs:

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
i've checked the prices, i dont have to spend all the moneyz in the world.. but now, have some questions that i do find on google, but i dont understan jack about the benchmarkings.. lawl

i want my new pc for gaming mainly.. internet etc etc but gaming.. so i dunno if go with a Pentium Dual core, or the Athlon 64 x2 dual.. I was thinking going with the Athlon, they are cheaper, and they are famously known to kick ####### in gaming.. now.. the x2 has 2 motherboards, the socket 939 and the new AM2.. both barebones I found are the same price, so I dunno if getting the old socketand more available socket 939, or just jump to the AM2..

Might be worth comparing them here. I've always found the site reliable. I've not looked into the AM2 enough to make a suggestion myself yet :)

Tom's Hardware

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Filed: Other Timeline

James is getting ready to build himself another one, I'll forward this thread to him and maybe he can help. He's been researching for a while now, and he's gotten himself some new games so he's particularly looking at video and sound capabilities. He's asleep right now tho :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I just built my computer back in May and I'm a gamer (Halflife2, BF2 and BF2142 next month). I used a 939 socket but I'd go with the AM2 if I built it today .

I have 2 Nvidia 6800s in SLI on my motherboard (PCI-E). Totally worth it. Both video cards have to be identical to do this. You still have the option to only run 1 video card. My video setting are all the way up with no lag.

Nvidia SLI

Newegg rocks

Edited by LuckyStrike

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have several folks here building PC's using CORE2 Duo. Some with more success than others. The chips are a little too bleading edge for some. They only work with some memory and some motherboard combinations. If your leaning towards Core2 Duo which is now the leader and you are building your first PC Id buy a kit as opposed to selecting your own parts.

But AMD has the value equation. Id go AMD if I was at all concerned about price vs performance.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

I've been building with only AMD since 1995. Never a problem.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

the one i wanna build is amd athlon 64 x2 dual 3800+ (like 2.2ghz)... 1gb Ram.. and a friend recommended me the "SAPPHIRE 100130L-BL Radeon X800GTO2 256MB 256-bit.. he told me its easily overclockable.. although i might just jump to the 512mb.. i just wanna play FEAR right lol..

We have several folks here building PC's using CORE2 Duo. Some with more success than others. The chips are a little too bleading edge for some. They only work with some memory and some motherboard combinations. If your leaning towards Core2 Duo which is now the leader and you are building your first PC Id buy a kit as opposed to selecting your own parts.

But AMD has the value equation. Id go AMD if I was at all concerned about price vs performance.

yeh it was a little bit trickier than i thought but i have a friend who works in PC hardware so he told me the basics.. but ye.. the am2 socket doesn't use DDR ram, they use DDR2, which is very different lol.. also they come with pci-express slots rather than the now old AGP... but.. im basically buying hte barebone kit, motherboard and case, and just put the other stuff in it (processor, ram and video card).. i have 2 very good hard drives and dvd-player, so i dont need to change them

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What is the $$ amount that you want to stay within?

Do you have a case already? with the newer boards... should prolly get highest watt power source avail too.

let me know that and i'll see what the different options are.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Timeline

Do you have a case already? with the newer boards... should prolly get highest watt power source avail too.

yea the kit i found has the motherboard, case and teh right power source for the athlon duals..

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

I downloaded FEAR multiplayer and have my settings all the way up. It looks sweet!!!!

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

yea the kit i found has the motherboard, case and teh right power source for the athlon duals..

Ok. thats cool... but what is total price you want to stay around?

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If I was building a PC I'd get an AMD AM2 dual core processor, an Abit or Asus motherboard, Nvidia SLI chipset, Nvidia video card. I'd get (actually got for my last PC) a WD Raptor SATA 72GB HD, then get two or three SATA HDs for storage & RAID them together. I run Linux so all of that stuff is easily compatible, especially the video (ATI works, but is a pain).

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Timeline

Ok. thats cool... but what is total price you want to stay around?

well i've done some research, and newegg.com has th best prices.. i can get all (no assembly. i'd have to do it) for 550 bucks.. asus am2 motherboard with the nvidia stuff.. athlon 64 x2 dual 3800... 1gb ddr2 512 video cardd

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

If I was building a PC I'd get an AMD AM2 dual core processor, an Abit or Asus motherboard, Nvidia SLI chipset, Nvidia video card. I'd get (actually got for my last PC) a WD Raptor SATA 72GB HD, then get two or three SATA HDs for storage & RAID them together. I run Linux so all of that stuff is easily compatible, especially the video (ATI works, but is a pain).

I have the WD Raptor SATA 72GB HD. It rocks!! I usually load into a game first for my multiplayer games.

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG