rafka23

Traveling to mexico from BWI with extension letter

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hey everyone! Just wondering if there is anyone who traveled from Baltimore abroad with extension letter. I read that I should be fine in general but i am just wondering if BWI officers are familiar with our letters. Also we are flying to cancun in mexico so I don't really know how the officers over there will react to my papers. All I know is that I won't get new card before we leave-this friday, and Baltimore local office won't stamp my passport either- I have already tried that in June - was told they wouldn't do it until next year for some reason... Oh and I am April filler so I will have to wait probably until next month to get some news from Vermont. Thanks for help.

My husband and I just got back home 3 days ago from our (four days shy of a month) wedding anniversary road trip. We entered Mexico via California I-5 (we wanted to see Tijuana). First we were told by an id**t (USCIS) border patrol (USA side of the border) that we cannot enter Mexico without a stamp on my passport. So, we went to the local USCIS office in San Diego to talk to a rep and, sure enough, the rep says that most of the border patrols are not aware about / familiar with the "extention letter' blah blah blah! Boy, we were pissed. :angry:

So, after we spoke to the UCSIS rep, we drove straight back to the Tijuana border and this time, we were able to cross it there and crossed back to the US, no problem. The border patrol didn't request my documents until i said something about it. :no: We also went to Victoria, Canada (from Washington by sea) and was able to enter / exit the country, painlessly. :star:

You will be fine, for sure. Just be sure to bring your expired GC, extention letter and passport with you.

Good luck and enjoy your anniversary vacation! :star:

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Bring the original extension letter with you; keep a photocopy of it at home.

If you're flying, check with your airline in regard to the return trip -- some indigenous airline personnel may be unfamiliar with the extension letter and may try (in good faith) to deny boarding, unless you're lucky enough to find a supervisor on site who does know about it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.