onlybelieve

i want to bring stepson over to USA

7 posts in this topic

Hi I want to know if anyone know of an option that i may to bring my step son over, Ive filed petitions for my husband and two of his kids for whom he has custody over and theyre under 18. He has a son thats 20 that still lives at home and still relies on my husband financially. Im still waiting for the petitions to be approved so my husband is still in south africa. We paid 5,000 dollars to have him come to the states for soccer trials to see about getting a scholarship at a college here which turned out in my opinion to be fraud , they just took our money and offered us nothing, not only us my every kid that attended these trials in the states. i know my husband is not going to leave him, do anyone have any ideas, is there something i can file for him, please help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

then there is no way for now, unless he get's a student visa, but with what happened before, it might be difficult,

you cannot file for him because he was over 18 at the time you married his father, he had to be under 18.

In that case, nothing you can do about it. Your husband can file for him once he gets his residency (enters into USA with immigrant visa).

Son will be in F2A category - child of LPR (under 21) until he is 21 years old after which time he will be moved to F2B category of unmarried sons and daughters of LPR. If he gets married, he no longer qualifies for LPR petition until his father naturalizes, then he'd be in in F3 category (married sons and daughters of USC) -- so make sure this is understood by everyone.

Wait time until visa for each category (as of visa bulletin for November 2011):

PD means priority date - when the petition has been filed and the dates listed mean petitions filed on this date and earlier are being given immigrant visa numbers:

F2A: 15 FEB 2009

F2B: 01 AUG 2003

F3: 22 SEP 2001

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do about the wait times - it is what it is and is driven by the immigrant visa number availability. You'll want to keep current on visa bulletins here: http://travel.state....letin_1360.html

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

In that case, nothing you can do about it. Your husband can file for him once he gets his residency (enters into USA with immigrant visa).

Son will be in F2A category - child of LPR (under 21) until he is 21 years old after which time he will be moved to F2B category of unmarried sons and daughters of LPR. If he gets married, he no longer qualifies for LPR petition until his father naturalizes, then he'd be in in F3 category (married sons and daughters of USC) -- so make sure this is understood by everyone.

Wait time until visa for each category (as of visa bulletin for November 2011):

PD means priority date - when the petition has been filed and the dates listed mean petitions filed on this date and earlier are being given immigrant visa numbers:

F2A: 15 FEB 2009

F2B: 01 AUG 2003

F3: 22 SEP 2001

thank you so much for the info

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do about the wait times - it is what it is and is driven by the immigrant visa number availability. You'll want to keep current on visa bulletins here: http://travel.state....letin_1360.html

then there is no way for now, unless he get's a student visa, but with what happened before, it might be difficult,

you cannot file for him because he was over 18 at the time you married his father, he had to be under 18.

thank you

Filed: Timeline

Hi I want to know if anyone know of an option that i may to bring my step son over, Ive filed petitions for my husband and two of his kids for whom he has custody over and theyre under 18. He has a son thats 20 that still lives at home and still relies on my husband financially. Im still waiting for the petitions to be approved so my husband is still in south africa. We paid 5,000 dollars to have him come to the states for soccer trials to see about getting a scholarship at a college here which turned out in my opinion to be fraud , they just took our money and offered us nothing, not only us my every kid that attended these trials in the states. i know my husband is not going to leave him, do anyone have any ideas, is there something i can file for him, please help

You can not file any petition for him since he was 19 years old when you married his dad. There is no legal relationship between you and your 20 years old stepson recognized under US immigrations laws that would would allow you to petition for him.

His father will have to leave him if he wants to immigrate to the US with his other two children. There is no way around this. The 20 years old cannot immigrate with them.

Once the father becomes a green card holder, he can petition for the 20 years old. Because he will be close to 21 years old or be over 21 years old by the time dad files for him, he is likely end up in the F2b category. The current wait is 8-9 years for an immigration visa. This is the quickest way for him to immigrate permanently to the US.

Edited by Jojo92122

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.