Rob & Chris

New Policy being implemented by DMV?

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

Anybody here that has went through the new policy that is being implemented by the DMV?

They said that if one doesn't have adjusted status yet (not a legal resident), they have to verify your documents (verifying your legal residency) with INS, through the SAVE system. Then they will send you an approval or denial letter in the mail after 2-5 weeks. Only then if you get an approval letter would you be able to go to your local DMV office and get a driver's license issued.

If someone had already been through this new policy, how long did it take them for you to get your approval letter?

Thanks in advance. Any support or reply would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

You need to say what state you live in.

I imagine this is part of the Real ID Act passed by Congress last year, but I would assume how it's handled by each state is going to vary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

Thanks mdyoung!

This link does sound similar... but I don't know. I have complete IDs (no greencard yet, AOS pending) and documents when I went to DMV (in Colorado) when I passed my road test. However, they made me go to the main DMV office (in Lakewood) to present all my original documents (proving legal residency - in my case; all NOAs for my AOS processing) and IDs (Instruction permit card, EAD, SSN) with photocopies and a self-stamped, self-addressed legal size envelope. They said that they have to verify my status in the SAVE system and also my documents with INS.

And that it will take about 2-5 weeks processing time. Talk about "THE WAITING GAME"!

It seems that they are doing the same thing as how the SSA offices are doing it... verifying with the SAVE system and INS your status before they can issue you a card.

I just wanted to know if anybody in the VJ have already gone through this new implementation and how long did it took them before they can get their approval letters and driver's license.

Thanks again.

Chris

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My wife and I went into the local DMV on 13th September to get my learners license. I showed them my EAD, SSN, Passport and also my AOS interview notice which they ignored. They scanned all my documents, took my picture, and allowed me to take the test. When I had finished the test I got to the next window they asked for $20 for the license and gave me temporary paper license. My wife asked when we’d get the proper license at which point the woman responded with something like… the license will be sent out as soon as my documents where checked & verified. :P

That corresponds to what the Florida DHSMV website says about Non US Citizens. Luckily I already knew the procedure from reading the website, the second woman we encountered at that office essentially ignored that I was in front of her and talked to her friend until she needed some information or cash from me. My license arrived yesterday 20th September exactly one week since I was in the DMV office. At last I’ve got an ID that everyone here will accept, never liked the idea of showing an EAD for ID. :hehe:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Document verification for non-US residents/citizens is a fairly new process, I believe. When I took and passed the written test at the license branch in Jan, my AOS was not approved yet so they made copies of my EAD, Social Security card, marriage certificate and a bank letter that showed my residential address. They then handed me a piece of paper that explained the verification process would take 60 days before my permit would be mailed to me. In the meantime, I carried a piece of paper in my purse whenever I drove with my husband. The paper was my temporary learner's permit. The actual card arrived in the mail 64 days later.

Fast forward to Aug 31: I took the roadway test and passed. They issued me my driver's license on the spot (I've been a conditional resident since Feb).

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!

Edited by Ephesia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.