arwensun1965

Aos and abandoment

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

As a few of you know Jon and I are now getting a divorce, we have an AOS appointment on friday and would like to ask a few questions please.

1. Do we have to go to the interview.

2. If we go to the interview can we explain our situation??

3. Jon and I would like to continue the way we were before we married ...visiting each other and such.

4. As we would like to visit each other does all this mean I cannot visit Jon because we are getting divorced?

5. Although I have a one way ticket for the 7th of October will they demand that I leave the USA straight away?

6. Will this in anyway stop us from doing this process again in the future??

7. Will this bar me from the USA??

8. Will I still have to pay Taxes??

If anyone could enlighten me I would be very greatful.

Thank you

Janice

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

As a few of you know Jon and I are now getting a divorce, we have an AOS appointment on friday and would like to ask a few questions please.

3. Jon and I would like to continue the way we were before we married ...visiting each other and such.

4. As we would like to visit each other does all this mean I cannot visit Jon because we are getting divorced?

5. Although I have a one way ticket for the 7th of October will they demand that I leave the USA straight away?

Thank you

Janice

when you leave no you dont have to pay taxes. < you will be out the USA >

you wont be banned from the USA because, your marriage was in good faith. I dont think this will

stop you from the VWP. if you explan the situation and handle it properly. now

as far as the interview at least explain to them the situation and cancell it

turn everything at the POE - documents like EAD card etc...this will show you did everything in good faith.

you can apply again in the future. as far as when you leave .. is the DAY the divorce is Final.

one day more if I am correct is overstay because, you are AOS thats because, you came on K1. Is it correct you came on k-1? if it was Cr1 thats a diffrent story.

anyone will correct me if I am wrong. this is the best of my knowledge on the subject matter.

good luck to ya.

shon.gif

Is it correct you came on k-1

Yes I came here on a K1.

So am I correct in thinking that we should still go to the interview and explain the situation??

Thank you

Janice

yes.. unless the divorce is final prior to the interview. then you better make a

B line to USICS or POE and turn in all things. I dont know what state you are in

but, in some states the divorce can be final in less than 60 days. < example here in texas >

shon.gif

Janice,

1 & 2. If it's not too inconvenient a personal appearance to explain the situation would be the best way to close the case with minimum risk of adverse consequences.

4. No.

5. I don't know, but I doubt it. You may incur a few days of overstay (or more than a few days, see #7), which I understand would be a problem with the VWP, but maybe they'd be kind enough to close the case as of 8 October.

6. No.

7. I'm tempted to say no, but I don't know the details of overstay on a AOS case that is not approved. Again maybe if they wait to close the case after you've left the issue will not exist. Get an opinion on this from an immigration lawyer - what you're told by the USCIS may be correct but then again it may not be.

8. If you earned any money while here you've probably already paid tax on it through withholding by the employer, but you probably couldn't have earned enough to owe income tax. So file a tax return (joint with your husband if still married come 31 December) to get any taxes paid back.

Best wishes,Yodrak

Thank you

Janice

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can not use the VWP if you previously overstayed on a VWP.

But not the case here.

I do not know the answer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Make the taxes and who pays for what as part of your divorce settlement.

you should see your own lawyer but you may not be friends afterwards.

sorry to hear, but you will survive.

good luck

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you

Janice

Sorry to hear abt your situation Janice. I remember you from K-1 forum.

I guess the advice Yodrak gave you is the best and I think if you go to the interview, you will be able to explain everything to the officer, plus getting the best advice abt what you should do next. I think he will help with info abt the overstay and stuff...

Good luck to you! (F)

Carol

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.