Tarvos

F-1 student visa timeline

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What Course are you looking to do?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an Electronics and Telecommunications engineer.

I'm applying for a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, so that would cover several courses in 2 years, but my main focus will be on Signals Processing. I've delivered all required documents regarding my thesis and desired disciplines I wish to pursue during my studies, and was accepted at my university accordingly.

I haven't really been asked about any of this during my so-called interview. It was a complete rush job and I highly doubt they'll ever look into my case again at this rate, since I wasn't given a fair chance to display my strong ties to my country.

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I have a Malaysian guy friend who was in AP for six months, if I am not mistaken. I guess that happens pretty often, and I'm sorry :(

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, not really, the visa status page has yet to change from 'send us an email'. My last email wasn't even replied to.

I thank you for asking, I really appreciate it. I wish more people who applied for Student Visas can let me know what they went through until they actually got them... it's really frustrating how there's absolutely no way to find anything out anymore about this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you looked at doing the course in another country?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I'm so sorry to hear that you are still waiting. AP is a black hole. I collected my student visa the day after my interview.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

Timeline

The interview was in late 2007 and it took less than half an hour. AP is rare for non-Muslim women though.

07/10/2017 - NOA

Timeline

I think it's a little bit of both. Malaysia is not a high fraud country and while we are not a VWP country, our B-visa denial rate is below 7% (for a country to qualify for the VWP, the denial rate has to be 3% or lower). Egypt's B-visa denial rate, on the other hand, was almost 30% in 2009. This indicates that there could be a higher level of visa fraud in your country and that can make the visa process harder for people like you who have legitimate intentions. Additionally, having a more common Muslim name can also hold up the visa process because name and background checks are made more complicated. Men experience this a lot more than women and I think we all know why... :( Unfortunately, the only thing to do is... wait. The embassy has no obligations towards you and no incentive to go out of their way to help you because you are not a US citizen. Sad, but true. :(

Edited by Bsze

07/10/2017 - NOA

That's the most sensible thing I've heard in this thread so far. I fully agree with you regarding that matter; I have a very clear idea about most of what you said regarding Egypt but... can you tell me what 'Visa fraud' constitutes? Is this related to the Embassy passing out fraudulent visas, or is this related to overstaying in the US/abusing your visa without following your stated intentions?

To be honest, the fact they rushed everything with me without verifying my integrity more thoroughly kind of keeps me depressed now because the most I could hope for is another interview. Would a second interview be required for someone like me who had the application and interview rushed the first time?

Timeline

Visa fraud would refer to an individual using the visa for any purpose other than the intended one. That includes overstaying or trying to immigrate on non-immigrant visas. My close friend works at her college's International Student Office and has had students enter the US and promptly disappear without showing up to school at all.

If a CO rushes an interview, it usually suggests they've already made up their mind. Since you were approved, it seems to me that the CO saw no problem with your case, otherwise you would have been denied outright. It also seems that AP might be a routine procedure at the Cairo embassy and that in your particular case, it is taking A LOT longer than they, and you, anticipated. At this point, a second interview might not change the outcome because you would run into the same problem with AP again.

Edited by Bsze

07/10/2017 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.