S_R

K1: Red Flags Lagos !

49 posts in this topic

If you are filling for a K1 in Lagos be very aware of the following:

1. Do not mention anything about introductions

2. Do not mention anything about dowry

3. Do not show any pictures of you guys in any identical traditional outfits

4. Do not speak about gifts exchanging hands.

5. Do not show any souvenirs

If you are responding to any question: Maintain eye contact for a period of about 10seconds before looking away briefly & reestablishing eye contact.

When Listening to the CO: Maintain direct eye contact AND maintain it. Try to blink at regular intervals .Also move your head now & then such as giving a nod in agreement.

I’ve heard it said that only 5% of communication is verbal, the rest is body language. How you present yourself says ALOT. You can take a ton of documents for the interview but if your body language is sending out the wrong signals...its all over before you even begin.

Always stick to your original story no matter the intimidation. Remember the worst any Co can do is delay or deny your visa. They can't stop your wedding/marriage...that's entirely up to YOU.

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Why is ur ticker counting down to NOA3? Just curious as to what is NOA3? :)

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Timeline

@Patient2010: LoL, some call it the Interview date...

Lol cute!

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

@Patient2010: LoL, some call it the Interview date...

NOA3 is not a term anybody uses. The numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 are associated with events in the process, with NOA1 being a receipt notice and NOA2 hopefully being a petition approval notice. The second notice of action COULD be an RFE or a Denial notice though. "P3" refers to the information packet from the Consulate or Embassy and P4 refers to the notice of interview dates. The interview date is simply referred to as the interview date.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

S.R this information is very inportant and informative. Thank alot but what do u mean by GIFT EXCHANGING HANDS? would like u to reply.thank and god bless

Hi rachael74,

Iam happy to always share. There are over 220 ethnic groupings in Nigeria and for any CO to seat back in Lagos and make life changing assumptions based on one or two ethnic groups he or she may have read or come across is rubbish.

What i mean in essence is that there are cases here on VJ were a fiancé was wrongly accused of being married just because he had given a gift to the fiancée's father during an introductory visit. So, to avoid any complications, NEVER EVER mention gifts.I hope that helps. Lagos is in Yoruba land and these embassy folks think they can use that culture as a yardstick to judge others.

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What is NOA3, not in our lingo. Read the VJ site for information.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Normal couples exchange gifts, to not mention doing so is leaving out proof of your relationship. To have a celibration and formally exchange gifts is another thing. Wearing traditional outfits together is also part of the tradition and fine as evidence as long as your pictures don't look like a wedding. I had pictures of myself with him in the funeral attire for his fathers funeral ( second interview which was approved ) and with his sisters uniform for another event and as part of the Nkanu women here in the US. The was no mention of already being married in either interview. What is more apt to trip up a K1 applicant is referring to each other as "my wife" or hubby in speach or corespondance. I am willing to bet that the ones that got denied for already being married had done that and any pictures just conformed the words.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Normal couples exchange gifts, to not mention doing so is leaving out proof of your relationship. To have a celibration and formally exchange gifts is another thing. Wearing traditional outfits together is also part of the tradition and fine as evidence as long as your pictures don't look like a wedding. I had pictures of myself with him in the funeral attire for his fathers funeral ( second interview which was approved ) and with his sisters uniform for another event and as part of the Nkanu women here in the US. The was no mention of already being married in either interview. What is more apt to trip up a K1 applicant is referring to each other as "my wife" or hubby in speach or corespondance. I am willing to bet that the ones that got denied for already being married had done that and any pictures just conformed the words.

I am always happy to get an insight from those i call "elders" on VJ. I thank you NigeriaorBust but i was referring to gifts given during an engagement ceremony by a fiance to his future father in law. We have all read horror stories of how people have been denied K1 visas because the CO assumed they were already married even when they were still very single. These couples have had to rush back home and actually get married (a 2nd time i guess)just to make somebody at the embassy happy. If they were already married like the CO claimed why did they have to remarry? Why not just refile everything? It shows that these characters make up the rules as they go and for anybody to still make use of any evidence which in NORMAL climes would bolster your case is foolish. I repeat stay away from anything that can be misrepresented at the interview unless you have the luxury of time and money to go through the process ALL OVER AGAIN.

event.png

Timeline

I am always happy to get an insight from those i call "elders" on VJ. I thank you NigeriaorBust but i was referring to gifts given during an engagement ceremony by a fiance to his future father in law. We have all read horror stories of how people have been denied K1 visas because the CO assumed they were already married even when they were still very single. These couples have had to rush back home and actually get married (a 2nd time i guess)just to make somebody at the embassy happy. If they were already married like the CO claimed why did they have to remarry? Why not just refile everything? It shows that these characters make up the rules as they go and for anybody to still make use of any evidence which in NORMAL climes would bolster your case is foolish. I repeat stay away from anything that can be misrepresented at the interview unless you have the luxury of time and money to go through the process ALL OVER AGAIN.

My sister and I were just talking yesterday about being old ... you didn't have to remind me again :crying: Yes you have to be careful about what is presented and especially about how it is presented. As long as you are well prepared for the questions that spring up you would be amazed at the photos you can present that won't cause you to "be married" we had a photo with the sign from the marriage registry in Lagos area in our first petition and the woman asked and he explained that we researched both the marriage in Nigeria and the K1 and because of my work rules we needed to use the K1. No mention was made that we were "already married"

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.