Outdoortroy

Question about retired joint sponsor

8 posts in this topic

I have some questions that I hope maybe someone can answer for me. My joint sponsor is retired and has substantial assets, over 300k. Now he recieves SS and my question is, is he able to sponsor even though he is retired and does not work anymore? If yes, I know I am to send a copy of his Tax return and proof of these assets. Is it required that I send documents for all these things. (Houses he owns)He is somewhat paranoid about sending his mutal fund paper work due to the chance of it getting into the wrong hands and a person stealing his retirement, which I understand his concerns. To add more information to get better responses, he makes 2k a month on his SS and has to wait 3 more years before he begins getting his pention.

If anyone has some tips, I would appreciate the information. I tried looking through older posts but didnt see anything talking about my subject.

Another question I hope to get a reponse to is, my wife is pregnant. So I am concerned that maybe they will look at my income level for an addtional person now even though the baby isnt born yet. Should I worry about this?

Secondly, what if this process takes so long that she goes into labor in her country, do I need to start this process over again or can I add the baby into the processing?

Gosh this process is stressful, you always have questions and just dont know what the outcome will be. :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Another question I hope to get a reponse to is, my wife is pregnant. So I am concerned that maybe they will look at my income level for an addtional person now even though the baby isnt born yet. Should I worry about this?

Secondly, what if this process takes so long that she goes into labor in her country, do I need to start this process over again or can I add the baby into the processing?

Gosh this process is stressful, you always have questions and just dont know what the outcome will be. :(

I agree about the stress..... i havent even started the process yet and my stomach is in knots over all the things that could happen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just fill out the forms for practice, and you will instantly see if he qualifies or not. Include your baby--they probably will, so you might as well figure out the worse case. The forms are simple--REALLY !!

As to his assets, they have to be liquid, and it is VERY possible that his primary home will not be allowed--after all, where is a retired person going to live if forced to sell his house.

And no you do not have to start over if the baby is born, but you will want to register the birth with the local embassy so that he/she will be registered as a citizen and not have to go through the immigration drill--that part is really simple.

Stealing his retirement?? That is really paranoid !!

He is worried about sending all that information because he lost money in a oil scam once and a law firm contacted him about money that a company owed him for work completed on a job and the law firm sued the company and took off with the money. So I can see where he doesnt trust people with his mutal fund numbers and access to all his retirement. Fraud is crazy these days. Even though it is the government that will recieve these docs, that doesnt mean some fella there could never get some crazy scheme going. Most of congress has been arrested for some reason or another.

Its not hard to steal from people. Its really easy even with that privacy act. That doesnt scare a real theif. Laws are made for good people, the bad people, laugh at them.

I noticed on the timeline part of this site that it says processing in CA takes 5 months. I am guessing there will be more months for the other paperwork and interview huh? Sigh. I dont know if I should file for the baby even though it isnt born yet or what?

Good luck to all of you out there doing this. I know your mind is likely a mess like mine.

Please feel free to comment on my topic if you know more about these things and want to share your experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Make sure we are speaking the same language:

1) The total process normally takes 8 - 10 months, so the odds of the baby being born are high. It can take less, but don't depend on it.

2) You will NOT file for the baby as an immigrant if you quickly register the birth at the local embassy. It is quick and painless, and then the baby is a USC and there is no additional paperwork required.

3) You won't file any of the sponsorship papers until you are through the USCIS which is normally about 5 months, although it has been quicker than that recently. Once you are through the USCIS, you will then pretty much know if the baby is more likely to be born here or there--that's when you make the decision, but in the meantime I am not kidding when I say you better fill out the forms NOW so you know whether the sponsor meets the requirements or not. There is NOT a single reason to not do that, so do it now. You need to know if he qualifies before you get further down the road and then discover he doesn't qualify until it is too late and you have to scramble to find someone else. One thing is for sure, if he won't disclose his assets, you don't have a prayer of him being approved as a sponsor.

Listen...just do it, and if you still have questions, then ask them. You haven't told us a single thing that we can use to help advise you other than the SS payment.

Edited by magical

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

There's also the added complication that if the visa is approved during the pregnancy, your wife may not be able to board a flight. Airlines have different practices for this, so the baby being born abroad might be inevitable. In that case, you'll need to include the baby in the financial sponsorship equation and will have to report the birth at the embassy (a Consular Report of Birth Abroad FS-240, as magical briefly explains, but here are some more details for clarity). The baby would not be eligible for a visa since it has citizenship privileges so that will be a necessary step before traveling.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

He is worried about sending all that information because he lost money in a oil scam once and a law firm contacted him about money that a company owed him for work completed on a job and the law firm sued the company and took off with the money. So I can see where he doesnt trust people with his mutal fund numbers and access to all his retirement. Fraud is crazy these days. Even though it is the government that will recieve these docs, that doesnt mean some fella there could never get some crazy scheme going. Most of congress has been arrested for some reason or another.

Its not hard to steal from people. Its really easy even with that privacy act. That doesnt scare a real theif. Laws are made for good people, the bad people, laugh at them.

I noticed on the timeline part of this site that it says processing in CA takes 5 months. I am guessing there will be more months for the other paperwork and interview huh? Sigh. I dont know if I should file for the baby even though it isnt born yet or what?

Good luck to all of you out there doing this. I know your mind is likely a mess like mine.

Please feel free to comment on my topic if you know more about these things and want to share your experience.

As far as the financial paperwork goes, I'm think you can black out information like account numbers and details. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but we blacked out private info on our bank account records. There isn't a requirement written on the I-864 instructions regarding that (review Part 7 again to answer some of your concerns on the details and the calculations).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.