Derbo/Yamkins

CFO Seminar Review/Feedback

23 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone! So, I just attended my seminar today (11AM) in the Good Shepherd Convent since I read bad reviews with PRISM (additional P150.00 handouts which is unnecessary cost).

They gave a feedback form but I wasn't able to drop it into the box.

Here's what I think about the experience (registrant with VISA in hand):

LOCATION: If you are going to use the LRT Line 2, it's pretty convenient. It's literally right next to the Katipunan Station (from Recto, Santolan bound). CFO satellite office is right in the same compound as St. Mary's.

It's pretty humid in the waiting areas and the canteen with a few of the fans working. Only one in the Guidance & Counseling waiting room. The canteen is like a random space that they decided to turn into a canteen. Not much food to see or expect here. The fans are turned off too unless you ask the lady to turn it on. TIP: Bring your food and drinks. I had no choice because I was hungry and was moved to the 11AM session since I was late for the 8:30am session.

The seminar room is air-conditioned and is in the 2nd floor.

REGISTRATION: Staff is fair to okay. Not really the welcoming hotel receptionist type. I was a bit annoyed when she asked for 3 photocopies of my passport and my visa when their website didn't state that as far as I remember. She will give you a form to fill-up which is pretty much the same as the one from CFO's website. They will take a digital picture of you and receive your seminar payment of Php 250.

CONTENT: I'm very much disappointed with this. 4 hours of rambling and beating around the bush about domestic abuse. In my opinion, the seminar is not well structured, biased and pretty subjective.

1st part, there was this representative from Metrobank promoting opening a Savings Account and an OFW Remittance account. When I asked her 3 simple yet important questions, she can't answer it. She keeps on describing the accounts but when I asked the crucial questions that everyone cares about, she can't answer it. The questions involved: available bank affiliates in the countries we're going, bank transfer charge (to compare with other wire transfer services like Moneygram or Xoom), how fast the money will be received.

Short briefing of St. Mary's history as an NGO and being an affiliate of the government goes here...Why the seminar was mandated by the government...

2nd, they required us to introduce ourselves to the group. I'm a bit off with the idea since in my head, you (other participants) don't need to know stuff about me and my partner in a way that it is a requirement. I'll tell you if I want to tell you. But for a format to be followed...BLEH. (Name, age, country of destination, optional background story) In my opinion, where is confidentiality. I'd prefer to have these facts asked privately.

3rd, we were shown a video clip of Magandang Gabi Bayan, an old show of Noli de Castro from more than a decade ago? It featured 3 cases of domestic abuse in different forms (physical, emotional, financial/mental) by foreign spouses of Filipinas. The title of the episode is "Karanasan/Kapalaran ng Pilipina sa Dayuhan" (Experience of Filipinas with Foreigners). Can't find it online though.

We were asked about our individual reactions. I expressed mine which is in sense goes like this, "The key is, regardless of being married or not to a Filipino or a foreigner, you have to be vigilant, self-reliant and ready with a contingency plan for the worst scenario. The scenarios presented to us are not limited to foreigners alone, even Filipinos hurt their wives. No one have a good grasp of what's going on another person's mind may they be spouse, friend, sibling or stranger. So, it's important to be prepared for the worst and save some for yourself."

The seminar was more or less 3-4 hours of unstructured rambling and prejudiced opinions and uneducated suggestions (marry someone else if it doesn't work within 90 days...I can't believe they even suggest that. I was expecting "go home to your family and be banned from a K1 visa. 1st, the K1 visa has your fiance's name on it. It's also pretty insulting to say it won't work or your relationship with your lover will fail and is not genuine.")

4th, we were given forms. Asked to go downstairs for the individual interview. Pretty basic questions. I was delayed with the requirement of a "landline". Okay, it might be for record checking but in this time, everybody else is going wireless and for them to require a landline number is absurd.

5th, releasing of Guidance & Counseling Certificate. Annoyed me more when they require you to pay Php 14.00 for the photocopy of documents they would keep/forward to CFO Paco. We paid almost Php 700 and you can't cover that for a copy of our papers? What about the "centralized system" they boasted about during the seminar which reaches until foreign countries? Can't they input that there?

6th, proceed to CFO satellite office "at the back of their building". I was expecting a more decent space. It was like an old stock room / random poorly maintained public bathroom from the outside with little signage of CFO-this-way-->

Small lounge after a small hallway to the tiny office. Processing is fast here anyway. You need to pay the Php400 here. They will staple the CFO certificate to your passport, check the CFO form (from online or filled-up from St. Mary's if you don't have it), put the sticker on a passport page.

Then, I went home at around 2:30pm to 2:45pm.

Over all, I think they should work on a much structured module for this seminar to include a crash course of starting life in another country (finding jobs, intercultural relations, support system, communication methods, currency/saving & spending in a foreign currency, education, relationship matters, etc.) I think the domestic abuse subject should just be a part of it instead of being the WHOLE thing.

I also suggest doing the CFO and Seminar after receiving the visa to save you from the hassle of traveling back there for your sticker.

That's all I can say for now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi girl,

thanks for the post,it does make sense to me when they dont post on thier website what exactly to bring(photocopies of passport)and some other docu,you know why????becuase they have thier own xerox and copy machine there inside thier office which is kinda over priced>dont you think?make more money for that isnt it?????

im glad that those terrible story is now part of history,good luck to those people that will attend the siminar"BE PREPARED"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Glad you post this. Thank you!:thumbs:

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][i]
[/i][/color][/size] [size="5"]God Bless![/size]
[size="5"]BobGee[/size][/font]

[u]AOS TIMELINE:[/u]

01-30-2012: Submitted AOS application thru USPS (Chicago Lockbox)
02-06-2012: Received Text/Email, application received by USCIS
02-10-2012: Received mail/hard copy of I-131 (NOA)
02-15-2012: Received mails/hard copies of I-765 & I-485 (NOAs) / Mail for Biometrics Appt.
03-06-2012: Biometrics Appointment done
03-14-2012: Received mail for Interview Appt on 16th April 2012.
04-04-2012: EAD/AP approved
04-12-2012: EAD/AP card received ;-)
04-16-2012: Interview day - Approved! (waiting for GC)
04-23-2012: Welcome Letter touched
05-03-2012: GC on hand!

[b][color="#ff8c00"]*** Thank You LORD! ***[/color][/b][b][color="#ff8c00"]

[url="http://www.ezticker.com/"]
[img]http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/100/202/20120130/AOS/ticker.png[/img]
[/url][/color][/b]

(Deren here)

And I'd like to add to what Yamy posted here about the material covered in this required seminar. Not only do they provide ZERO helpfull information, but they also are insulting the petitioner at the same time. Most cases are real, loving, open relationships that will continue on to be life-long partnerships. It hurts me so much that my wife-to-be had to sit through a sesion of horror stories just so this office can scare a few extra people into signing up for their banking services.

...the comment about "if it doesn't work out in 90 days, just marry someone else." I just about died... I'm assuming these seminars are required because marriage is so sacred and serious (they want you to be absolutely certain about your decision) in the Philippines, and yet they encourage you to just "find someone else" if things go sour. Not only would that be fraudulent, but it's completely unmoral.

blah..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The whole seminar sounds like a complete crock.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

thanks for the review! for me, CFO is one last rip-off from our beloved corrupt system before you leave the country. grrrr

Naturalization Timeline - last hurrah!

04-25-2016 N-400 Filing Date
04-29-2016 NOA Date
05-02-2016 E-notification via email & text
05-05-2016 Received NOA in the mail
05-07-2016 Biometrics is scheduled
05-13-2016 Received Biometrics letter
05-20-2016 Biometrics walk-in (05/27/2016)
09-20-2016 E-notification: Interview is scheduled
09-26-2016 Interview Letter in the mail
10-24-2016 Interview Date (pending approval)

02-16-2017 Approved
06-09-2017 Oath Ceremony 

ROC Timeline
03-23-2015 Mailed ROC
03-24-2015 NOA1 Date
06-25-2015 Service Request for biometrics appointment
08-15-2015 Received Biometrics Letter
08-20-2015 Biometrics walk-in (08/24/2015)
09-03-2015 ROC Approval date
09-11-2015 GC on hand

K1 => AOS My K-1 Guide (Blog)

because they have their own xerox and copy machine inside their office which is kinda over priced>dont you think?make more money for that isnt it?????

True that. It is pretty overpriced for a bad photocopy. I asked (she looked surprised that I asked) how much it costs each. It's Php 3.50/page (compared to Php 1.00 to Php 2.00 outside). You can't bring any form outside of the compound. Good luck with that! I asked for a receipt though. Hahahaha.

thanks for the review! for me, CFO is one last rip-off from our beloved corrupt system before you leave the country. grrrr

It is and it will continue to be so unless they work on the program. I understand the "cause" -- to address the rise of domestically abused Filipinas abroad. However, it's pretty obvious that the program is very premature. The counselors are not well equipped. They look like they (like us) just need to do it and they're just given 4 hours. Do you know the feeling of watching an unprepared classmate present a report in front of class? That's how it feels.

In fact, not all Filipinas married to foreigners experience this BUT we do encounter problems in our adjustment in life there. Abuse is just a possible risk amongst the many others.

Right now, it's a complete waste of both money and time. You won't think of it too much while sitting there because you have your eyes on a goal: GET THOSE CERTIFICATES and STICKER!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry about the bad experience with the CFO Seminar. At least you got your Certificate and Sticker now.

I, on the other hand, had a wonderful experience at CFO because I was the only one going to the US so there's not much people there. They did not make me watch the horrible video and sit for an hour to listen to the lectures. Instead, I sat with the councilor and chit chatted for almost an hour talking about my love life and just question and answer (I was the one who did all the talking and questioning). No Metrobank/Landbank business talk either! It seemed like a girl talk all the way and she even recommended I join Visajourney. I thought it was funny! The people at the reception even wished me good luck and waved when I got out. When I walked out of the building I was smiling coz I didn't expect it to be a fun experience. You are right about the overpriced photocopy but it's expected. So it's advisable to go there not on a busy day. By the way, I went to Good Shepherd Convent at 1PM on a Tuesday.

Have a nice flight! :)

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Sorry about the bad experience with the CFO Seminar. At least you got your Certificate and Sticker now.

I, on the other hand, had a wonderful experience at CFO because I was the only one going to the US so there's not much people there. They did not make me watch the horrible video and sit for an hour to listen to the lectures. Instead, I sat with the councilor and chit chatted for almost an hour talking about my love life and just question and answer (I was the one who did all the talking and questioning). No Metrobank/Landbank business talk either! It seemed like a girl talk all the way and she even recommended I join Visajourney. I thought it was funny! The people at the reception even wished me good luck and waved when I got out. When I walked out of the building I was smiling coz I didn't expect it to be a fun experience. You are right about the overpriced photocopy but it's expected. So it's advisable to go there not on a busy day. By the way, I went to Good Shepherd Convent at 1PM on a Tuesday.

Have a nice flight! :)

Yes, I didn't expect it to be like that since I read the same experience from those who attended PRISM but not St. Mary's.

In my batch, we were around 20 people with various destinations (some to Germany, US, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia).

I really wasn't expecting the suggestions they gave. It sounded a bit one-sided or opinionated.

Anyhow, it is still an experience. At least, one major chunk in the to-do list is crossed out! Flying in 3 days! Woot! Thank you very much! :D

In a way, the CFO is harder and more unpredictable than the USEM interview process. The solution is, be loaded for bear at the CFO, and have every possible piece of paperwork and document signed there for the burned out, envious nuns that wish to stop young Pinays from escaping the hardships of the Islands.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

It's not only the beating or horrified stories that they discuss at CFO they will teach/help you on how to deal with your transition when you get in the US, what to do and who to call when you get in a bad situation, the do's and don't when you decided to go back to the Philippines and more. Some of us forgot this already since the video is the one that stucked in our head our partners didn't really know/understand what the CFO showed us just take it as a lesson nobody wants go be raped by a lot of men in the snow and beat up while you being filmed by your so called husband/boyfriend took your passport and leave you without anything, good thing that pinay escape from that monster. let's just take this CFO thing as a help from the government the only thing i HATE about it is you have to pay for it! ....well thats expected.

I'm not arguing, just saying! :D

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.